Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 10:52 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
It's always a good practice to wait until you have another job offer before quitting a job. It's tougher to find work when you are unemployed versus employed.
that is truer today than ever. you don't want to be looking for a job when you're desperate, if you can avoid it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 10:53 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Wow...all I can is that.

You say to work hard and you will get it. Work hard, find a job with good benefits. GM gave good jobs + good benefits.

Then when GM gives it, you say this is the reason why they are doing so bad. Which is it?

These benefits were needed and are important.

So what do you think the workers of GM should do? Not have good benefits after going to college for so long? For working for them for so long?

Where do you expect these workers to get benefits from if not from GM? Welfare so you can help pay?

Seriously, no offense but this post you just made just kind of made me realize I could never be a conservative/Republican. Just way too hypocritical in my eyes.
No they got greedy just like Wall Street, $72/hr big 3 for labor vs. $47 for non union labor (all in salary and benefits). They basically priced themselves out of jobs.

Sorry When I buy a car value comes into play. US manufactures cut quality because they could not compete on the labor side of the equation

I don't see the hypocritical it is reality. Take your fast food job for example. Suppose BK unionized and pay for employees increased $2/ hour. But the guy next door didn't unionize and his prices stayed flat. BK can't increase their price so they cut back on the quality of the meat. The customers catch on and stop going to BK and spend their dollars next door. BK goes out of business.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:55 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
No they got greedy just like Wall Street, $72/hr big 3 for labor vs. $47 for non union labor (all in salary and benefits). They basically priced themselves out of jobs.

Sorry When I buy a car value comes into play. US manufactures cut quality because they could not compete on the labor side of the equation

I don't see the hypocritical it is reality. Take your fast food job for example. Suppose BK unionized and pay for employees increased $2/ hour. But the guy next door didn't unionize and his prices stayed flat. BK can't increase their price so they cut back on the quality of the meat. The customers catch on and stop going to BK and spend their dollars next door. BK goes out of business.
Exactly! Well stated.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:58 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
Quote:

What are you talking about? My dad works for Chrysler (Tool and Dye Maker) and does not make 72 an hour. I PROMISE you that.

Once again, BK is not my job anymore. I understand where you come from but I dont agree with their business ethics. They treat their people like garbage.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:04 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? My dad works for Chrysler (Tool and Dye Maker) and does not make 72 an hour. I PROMISE you that.

Once again, BK is not my job anymore. I understand where you come from but I dont agree with their business ethics. They treat their people like garbage.
$72 all in salary and benefits, there benefits are lavish. I was off it is higher. Look at the link.

Auto Bailout Ignores Excessive Labor Costs

Yes about BK that was an example, they may be a horrible employer I don't know. But the example is how business and consumers behave.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:34 AM

358 posts, read 472,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
Most union workers are employed by the gubmint. Why do they need a union??
Is ignorance just a way of life or is it an art form, surly you know that answer.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:47 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:

I don't see the hypocritical it is reality. Take your fast food job for example. Suppose BK unionized and pay for employees increased $2/ hour. But the guy next door didn't unionize and his prices stayed flat. BK can't increase their price so they cut back on the quality of the meat.""

Or they could cut back on executive wages, pay the regular workers more, they make more, they spend more, the economy improves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"" The customers catch on and stop going to BK and spend their dollars next door. BK goes out of business.
No, the $72 an hour was a lie....and even if it's true why don't Repubs EVER complain about execs making 400 to 500% of what average workers make? Some make $1,500.00 an HOUR. When execs made 30 to 40% of the average worker's pay, the U.S. was doing well.

Why are repubs so eager to screw over the average American worker but LOVE it when the uber-wealthy screw them over and make exhorbitant, bloated wages ????

Why don't execs price themselves out of jobs?

Why don't we hear about how much money from the sale of one car goes to the executives???????? It may be smaller because there are fewer execs than workers but percentage wise???

A country that can't pay the majority of it's people a decent living wage is a failed country.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:12 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i understand what you're saying, but did you ever quit a job in a situation where the unemployment rate is over 22%, without having another waiting in the wings?
that puts an entirely new spin on the situation, imho.
1979, Stagflation, Jimmy Carter, You could not buy a job, I went from driving a Corvette and a Jeep to a oldsmobile vistacruiser station wagon with one whole side bashed in and plastic duct taped over the windows!! Very humbling yet valuable lesson!

Old 04-21-2009, 07:24 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Thanks. I do remember and will remember. I am just curious how people expect people like me to get by on this and GET ahead if you know what I mean at all?

I am working hard. Like I said two jobs + college full time.

Let me tell you a story. You might even laugh. Last summer, I opened up a fortune telling company online. I made 3,000 in one summer making reading Tarot Cards online. So trust me, I know. I was so happy. I was like DAMN! I sat there at my laptop and made more in THREE MONTHS doing readings than working a full year at BK. I was in heaven!

Until now... this is the first year I had to pay taxes ever... I was shocked at how much they take out.

So it hit me hard too. I now know why people are so upset over taxes. I do believe in less spending and less taxes. However, it will never happen.

This is not an Obama or Bush thing either (So please lets not make it that in this thread at least). But I understand regardless of what you might make me out over a forum.
So why aren't you still doing this ?
I don't understand how you are expecting to 'get ahead' oe even be self sustaining when you're still primarily a student.
Isn't that the goal for getting an education?

Old 04-21-2009, 07:50 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
we are all guna be at burger king if we dont start joining unions.
your goverment has sold you out to cheap labor.
Huck normally I can agree at least in part with your posts. But not this time. I work for P&G. WE have no Union and P&G has made quite a few millionaires through the profit sharing retirement program. I grew up in NE PA hard core Union mentality. I watched with my own eyes some of the Union tactics and I for one am less than impressed. As a 12 year old paper boy I had union guys steal my papers off my customers porch, knock me off my bike and take my papers and oh yes call me names. Times Leader was the paper the Union formed their own paper the Citizens Voice. We don't need a Union where I work. They have tried many times to get in. Oddly enough the only guys they get to push for them seem to also be the laziest guys I know. I wonder why?
Yes Unions have served a purpose in our history and have won for us changes in laws that made it better for all of us. They have also closed many a company down. I look at the strangle hold the teachers Unions have on us and wonder at such blatant arrogance. They won't give an inch. No compromise....
The big 3 are in deep trouble. Both from poor management and from a Union that refuses to make any meaningful compromise. How do the foreign car companies in this country succeed where ours fails?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies