Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 08:30 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Yeah unions are great. Just ask the kids.

TEACHER TENURE BULLIES - New York Post
sad.

Democrats and Poor Kids
Sitting on evidence of voucher success, and the battle of New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 08:32 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,842,951 times
only one word sums up this post. wah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Hello all,

As you may know, I began work at the age of 15. The first place I was ever hired into was Burger King.

Let me tell you something. That company gets away with so much law breaking and crimes that it is not even funny. I have worked for four years. I started working at $5.50 an hour 5 years ago. I left there, four years later making $7.75. Oh, the raises were only because min. wage was raised up. I was given one raise when I demanded it because they were always understaffed and gave me manager duties even though I was NOT the manager.

Minors are to have breaks. Burger King never gave them. And also, in Michigan, if you are working more than 8 hours, you have to have 2 breaks and a lunch. Do you think I got lunch? Yeah, if they felt like giving to me. I had to stand on my feet for 8 hours straight doing things for them and they could not even give me a lunch.

I busted my a$$ for them. Slacked the fries, took care of customers, did the drive-thru (Which was more hell than all the other responsibilities COMBINED at Burger King), cleaned their floors, cleaned their grease, TRAINED new people-even though I was not a manager, cooked their food, counted their waste, took out their garbage and cleaned the dining room and restrooms and more.

I had only called off on them three times in four years. I came to work, rain or snow.

Yet, they never gave raises. Instead, they gave pay CUTS. And when I asked for a raise, they looked at me like I was stupid. And then would say "Oh! We made $50,000 today!" $50,000 is a LOT of sandwiches that I and other crew had to make.

Dont tell me that they cannot afford to pay better for an employee that does so much for them. And even then, fine. I am 20 and I go to college and live at home. There were people who were trying to make ends meet on this horrible wage. I remember a co worker who had a child and her husband had to get his foot amputated. Did they have health insurance? Of course not. Burger King did not offer it at affordable wage.

My Burger King got robbed a half a year ago. Did they have any security for the employees to defend themselves? No. Just fake cameras. The robber had a gun to my managers head and demanded the money. A tornado hit my Burger King (And you guys are not going to believe this) and they HAD NO EMERGENCY LIGHTS. It was pitch black. My manager expected all of us to go in the back and save the food from rotting since the tornado had knocked out the power. Hah! Dont tell me Burger King cannot afford to have an emergency pack with a FLASHLIGHT.

They told me to get onions and Burgers from another Burger King OFF THE CLOCK. They told me that since I was not working technically, I had to clock out while driving (gas was around 4 a gallon then) to get things for THEM!

I have been working for Target. This is a BRAND NEW Target. I helped stock the shelves. Everyone here is very hardworking and wonderful. We get along very well and like each other.

I get a 100 percent on my speed score every week. My conversion (getting people to open up credit cards-which is hard in this economy) is higher than what they asked for. I am cross trained in all departments except one and the customers always compliments me to my managers.

I know several other employees who are good as well.

The raises we got? .10 cents. For doing everything we can..to HELP THEM make that $70,000 goal PER DAY....we get a .10 cent raise from making $7.40 an hour.

It is a CRIME that these companies make thousands upon thousands a day. Target pays crappy but at least they take care of us. They give us breaks and lunches on time and make sure we are doing good. But STILL!

Burger King needs some serious investigation.

They both need UNIONS to make sure these people who make $50,000-$70,000 a day don't pay their employees CRAP and treat them badly. In addition to that, they should make sure that each and every workplace is equipped in case there is an emergency.

Now I know what you are all thinking. "Why didnt you go get another job?" I tried. Especially because of my age, a lot of people did not want to hire me. Nobody was really hiring. I just finished my associate degree this month though.

I know a lot of Republicans on here say we need to work and work and work for our earnings but when is it enough? How do you expect Americans to get out of this cycle if they are getting paid like this? There is no doubt that they would end up on welfare and become a burden on taxpaying Americans.

I want to get ahead in life. But how do you all expect us too when we are getting paid around 5.95 an hour (after taxes) AND having to pay for car insurance, COLLEGE tuition, food, clothes and more? I remember several users on this forum making fun of 20 somethings still at home.

So tell me how you expect us to get ahead when we are being taken advantage off? This is exactly why we need labor unions. So then we wont be ripped to pieces and working for peanuts.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:33 PM

370 posts, read 440,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Burger flipping union? Learn some skills first. Besides, the increased labor cost would get passed straight to consumers and all the prices would go up making your raise worthless.

Please have some respect for people who work in fast food. Food service is actually a high stress job.

Just because you deem them beneath you doesnt mean they dont work hard.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:35 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyne View Post
Please have some respect for people who work in fast food. Food service is actually a high stress job.

Apologies. I don't deem them beneath me. Just not sure about a union.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:37 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
only one word sums up this post. wah.
Really?

What would you be doing in this situation then?

You too would be stressed and upset. I promise you, crybaby.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:38 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,228 times
My sister works at Wal-Mart. Admittedly, they have the highest wage in retail, BUT I have a story.

My sister got frustrated one day because her managers are incompetent. Did some of the same things you said: delegating manager responsibilities without the pay and such. Never withheld breaks, though. They missed things that incompetent employees did, but the ones that were actually working, if they messed something up, got caught. Well, in the break room, the always swear about management, call them bastards, *******s, ****s, the works. Nothing ever happens. WELL, my sister said "sometimes I wish we had a union." They call her into the office as well as other employees, one by one, asking "What do you think of unions?" A bit creepy.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyne View Post

Thank you so so so much.

People have actually told me I was retarded at Burger King. Like customers because I put one less pickle on their burger.

What they dont know is that you actually have to be quite intelligent and smart to deal with this. There is a LOT of multitasking and social skills you need.

I for sure do not agree with these people getting paid $7.40 an hour.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
My sister works at Wal-Mart. Admittedly, they have the highest wage in retail, BUT I have a story.

My sister got frustrated one day because her managers are incompetent. Did some of the same things you said: delegating manager responsibilities without the pay and such. Never withheld breaks, though. They missed things that incompetent employees did, but the ones that were actually working, if they messed something up, got caught. Well, in the break room, the always swear about management, call them bastards, *******s, ****s, the works. Nothing ever happens. WELL, my sister said "sometimes I wish we had a union." They call her into the office as well as other employees, one by one, asking "What do you think of unions?" A bit creepy.
Oh, I know.

Same thing at Target. At Orientation, they told us that if anyone was caught even trying to form a union, they would be fired.

I wonder what makes them so scared of unions...

Old 04-20-2009, 08:41 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Apologies. I don't deem them beneath me. Just not sure about a union.
Would be a LOT LESS call for unions if we paid a "living wage" in this country and had health care under a sort of national scheme. Employers will always abuse people in various ways, greed being a human condition. There has to be something in place to stop the abuses. Whether it's unions or government mandated solutions, there will be no labor peace until there are living wages / benefits / and protection from abuses.

People should read the book "Fast Food Nation" to get an idea of what a low opinion that industry has of both its employees and its customers. Those attitudes go all the way to the original McDonald brothers.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:42 PM

So...it is ok that they treat people and minors they way they do at Burger King?

it is ok to pay them 7.40 an hour and expect them to shut up and work silently?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies