Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 09:00 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pba View Post
We're not comparing homosexuals to women. The first set of people are 2nd class citizens at best while women are equals. That begs the question....do I believe in equality for all? Simple answer is no. Am I prejudiced against homosexuals (def. - to pre-judge)? Answer is yes. Me and about 150 million other people in this country.
And some here deny that there's such a thing as discrimination against homosexuals. At least you're up front about your prejudices.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
When you say 'complete' human being I'm assuming you mean 'equal'? If that's the case then, you're right, I don't see gays as equal.

Don't worry about Omaha, he's close to being a troll himself and most have him on ignore (which is probably also true for me).
Hmm. Very interesting. You're honest enough to say that you don't see gays as equals, but then you're also cool enough to suggest that I should ignore him. I wouldn't have predicted that.

Thanks. (I think.)

Old 05-04-2009, 09:10 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
lol... Sorry to disappoint you. I'm sure there's plenty of annoying video of Ms. Hilton posted on YouTube to keep you busy. Just don't eat anything before you watch it.
(I'm not sure if calling him "Ms. Hilton" is anti-gay or not. Hmm. I'll have to ponder that. I welcome comments.)
mr./ms., no matter. hypocritical idjit works for me..

Ironic: Perez Hilton uses DMCA to silence NOM

Old 05-04-2009, 09:11 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,390,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Hmm. Very interesting. You're honest enough to say that you don't see gays as equals, but then you're also cool enough to suggest that I should ignore him. I wouldn't have predicted that.

Thanks. (I think.)
Do you find child molesters to be equals? (I'm not attempting to equate homosexuality to pedophilia.)
Do you find conservative Christians who despise homosexual acts to be equals?
Do you find Hitler to have been an equal?

Old 05-04-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
mr./ms., no matter. hypocritical idjit works for me..

Ironic: Perez Hilton uses DMCA to silence NOM
The video appears to have been removed, unfortunately.

I honestly don't even like to look at Perez Hilton. I'm sure that the fact that he's gay has something to do with it. Although I hope that people don't judge all gays based on his behavior, there's a little irony there because I guess I look at him and associate him with gays myself, and then in turn, I associate him with me. Ugh.

These are tough things to deal with.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:16 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
We're not comparing homosexuals to women. The first set of people are 2nd class citizens at best while women are equals. That begs the question....do I believe in equality for all? Simple answer is no. Am I prejudiced against homosexuals (def. - to pre-judge)? Answer is yes. Me and about 150 million other people in this country.

Didn't Jesus say not to judge? I guess that one isn't that important.

At least you're honest, I'll give you that. It just amazes me that you consider my best friend, a man who contributes money, time, intelligence etc. to the world and you could say he deserves to be a second class citizen. My cousin... two of my coworkers... all second class citizens simply because they fell in love in what you consider 'the wrong way'.

It makes me sad. Really, honestly it does. I can understand that some people may not accept or even want to awknowledge gay marriage, but that for me is too far.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:19 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,390,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Read the full verse. Probably the most mischaracterized verse of the Bible.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:23 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
Read the full verse. Probably the most mischaracterized verse of the Bible.

I understand a couple of versions of what it means. I've taken many bible study courses in churches and colleges. The bible is full of nothing but mischaracterizations, you can twist to whatever you THINK or WANT them to mean. Even Christians can't agree on what the bible means.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
When you say 'complete' human being I'm assuming you mean 'equal'?
I didn't fully answer your question.

When I used the word "complete", I was saying that I believe he's unable to see gays as full human beings with relationships, feelings, and life experiences that matter. He sees them primarily as sexual deviants. If he were to talk with two guys who had similar lives and similar experiences - one gay and one straight - he would discount the experiences of the gay guy simply because he's gay. The straight guy would be taken more seriously.

Perhaps you're the same way. The difference is that you appear to be much more calm and rational about it. You don't bring up AIDS and talk about body parts every time a gay person makes a comment.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:28 PM
pba

410 posts, read 917,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

At least you're honest, I'll give you that. It just amazes me that you consider my best friend, a man who contributes money, time, intelligence etc. to the world and you could say he deserves to be a second class citizen. My cousin... two of my coworkers... all second class citizens simply because they fell in love in what you consider 'the wrong way'.

It makes me sad. Really, honestly it does. I can understand that some people may not accept or even want to awknowledge gay marriage, but that for me is too far.
Jesus tells us not to judge other people, that's true. However, what I'm trying to point out is that Jesus will be the ultimate judge of you upon your death (or anyone's death).

I just responded to someone else who basically asked how I feel about gays. I thought I'd copy it here to give you a better understanding of where I'm coming from.

I realize it's not a conscious choice to be gay. It's not like you can just turn a switch on or off. For those that follow the Bible though it's a tough choice to make. Part of me realizes that whether or not gay people get married that it really has no affect on me whatsoever. I'm not one to think it 'hurts the sanctity of marriage' like you sometimes hear. So for me personally, you can be gay/straight/bi and I really don't care.

However, the religious side of me brings up the conflict. It's not just our jobs as Christians to live by the word of God but to help spread the word as well.

Here's what I could concede however. I wouldn't mind at all if gay people were to be legally married with all rights associated with that. However, getting married in a church in front of God is what I object to. If it were just a legal marriage contract without a mention of God then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I've really done a lot of biblical research on this and just can't find any interpretation of the bible (any version of the bible) that says homosexuality is ok. I wish it were because it would be ideal if we could treat everyone as equals but due to my religious beliefs I just can't. I agree that's a very sad thing to say.

Now that doesn't mean that I don't think there are gay people that believe in God but I simple believe they aren't living by His word.

Sorry if I've seemed arrogant about any of this but that's really not how it's meant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies