Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 11:38 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,282,499 times

Advertisements

Clearly, the HuffingtonPost has a "liberal" bent, but has anyone else noticed the extent to which they censor responses to their articles? I'm not talking about the censorship of profanity or ad hominem attacks. I'm talking about their censorship of perfectly innocuous comments. I've never labored under the delusion that the HuffingtonPost is a democratic site. It's not. In fact, it's always had something of a whiff of yellow journalism to it: Those big red National-Enquirer-type headlines meant to provoke. And then when you click on them and actually read the article, it never quite says what the headline indicates. Recently, however, I've noticed that many of my comments disappear into the ether. Comments which don't quite follow the political "party line." My guess is that Huffington has a lot of 20-somethings filtering the posts, and for those of us here who are older, I think we can agree that this age group--frequently, but not always--is not terribly tolerant of opinions which offend their political sensibilities.

Anybody know of any "leftist" sites that allow for the free exchange of ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 11:53 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,093,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Clearly, the HuffingtonPost has a "liberal" bent, but has anyone else noticed the extent to which they censor responses to their articles? I'm not talking about the censorship of profanity or ad hominem attacks. I'm talking about their censorship of perfectly innocuous comments. I've never labored under the delusion that the HuffingtonPost is a democratic site. It's not. In fact, it's always had something of a whiff of yellow journalism to it: Those big red National-Enquirer-type headlines meant to provoke. And then when you click on them and actually read the article, it never quite says what the headline indicates. Recently, however, I've noticed that many of my comments disappear into the ether. Comments which don't quite follow the political "party line." My guess is that Huffington has a lot of 20-somethings filtering the posts, and for those of us here who are older, I think we can agree that this age group--frequently, but not always--is not terribly tolerant of opinions which offend their political sensibilities.

Now you know the only way they can keep their sheep in the flock is to make sure they stay filled with their own propaganda. Baaaa

Old 06-26-2009, 12:18 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,386,809 times
Anybody know of any "leftist" sites that allow for the free exchange of ideas?[/quote]

Cant say i ever saw such a thing on the left.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:45 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,211,513 times
Quote:

Not quite sure I agree with you... I go to the HuffPost frequently though it is far from my only source and I do on occassion blog on their many many different blogs within the HuffPost Community. Often times if it is a real popular blog the blogger will hold a collection of comments before releasing to Blog. I have seen upwards to 50 comments held at a time so trying to follow your own comment is something one has to master. Just my observation... On a side note: I like the HuffPost, though it does lean left at the same time will question folks in the Administration or policies. So to suggest that it is a lovefest over at the HuffPost like a lot of folks on C-D it simply is not true.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:21 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,219,485 times
This is moronic. The blogosphere has long been known to be very open on the left, and closed on the right. Anyone care to compare the top 5 conservative blogs - and whether they even allow comments - to the top 5 liberal blogs?

Old 06-26-2009, 08:50 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Not quite sure I agree with you... I go to the HuffPost frequently though it is far from my only source and I do on occassion blog on their many many different blogs within the HuffPost Community. Often times if it is a real popular blog the blogger will hold a collection of comments before releasing to Blog. I have seen upwards to 50 comments held at a time so trying to follow your own comment is something one has to master. Just my observation... On a side note: I like the HuffPost, though it does lean left at the same time will question folks in the Administration or policies. So to suggest that it is a lovefest over at the HuffPost like a lot of folks on C-D it simply is not true.
I have to agree. I've seen some pretty contrary comments in response to posted articles so I don't think that there is too much censorship going on, other than for language or name-calling.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:56 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
This is moronic. The blogosphere has long been known to be very open on the left, and closed on the right. Anyone care to compare the top 5 conservative blogs - and whether they even allow comments - to the top 5 liberal blogs?
My favorite blog, da King's Men on the Akron Beacon is decidedly right even though da King is a libertarian. He allows and prints some pretty terrible comments from some very far left people and only comes back at them. They can get about anything they want to say printed unless it is too foul in a liberal way.

Even you would be allowed to comment there. da King may come back calling you an idiot but your comment would be there in full.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:20 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,036,805 times
Quote:
Clearly, the HuffingtonPost has a "liberal" bent, but has anyone else noticed the extent to which they censor responses to their articles? I'm not talking about the censorship of profanity or ad hominem attacks. I'm talking about their censorship of perfectly innocuous comments. I've never labored under the delusion that the HuffingtonPost is a democratic site.
It is a blog that offers political commentary, not a legitimate news source or viable debate forum. If you look at the 'about' section you will see that it is just a bunch of random bloggers and not professional journalists or reporters. As such, it is not required that they accept opposing views, since objectivity is not one of their directives.

I have a browsed the site a few times, and a lot of the comments sections are just verbose echo chambers.

Quote:
In fact, it's always had something of a whiff of yellow journalism to it: Those big red National-Enquirer-type headlines meant to provoke. And then when you click on them and actually read the article, it never quite says what the headline indicates.
That is nothing new in the world of blogs. Keep in mind that it is a business like any other, they make money from advertisements, the more readers they get, the more $$ they get. Same concept with the National Enquirer.

Quote:
Recently, however, I've noticed that many of my comments disappear into the ether. Comments which don't quite follow the political "party line."
By shielding users from opposing viewpoints they are only hurting their own users. Isn't the point of politics to debate issues with all sides represented?

Quote:
My guess is that Huffington has a lot of 20-somethings filtering the posts, and for those of us here who are older, I think we can agree that this age group--frequently, but not always--is not terribly tolerant of opinions which offend their political sensibilities.
That is so true... And certainly not limited to the Huffington Post echo chamber. At a young age people tend to think they are always right and everyone else is wrong. Most people who do actively engage in politics on the internet are young, hence the invincible and arrogant attitudes that we see more often than not.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
I'm sorry, but there's no reason to call my post "moronic." This has been my experience at Huffingtonpost. And has been the experience there for quite a number of people. That's the reason I started the thread--primarily so that I could get recommendations, if there were any, for any other, more open sites.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I have to agree. I've seen some pretty contrary comments in response to posted articles so I don't think that there is too much censorship going on, other than for language or name-calling.
I've seen some pretty contrary statements, too, which is why I'm puzzled. But if you google "Huffingtonpost" and "censorship," you'll come up with quite a few hits. I think the "contrary" posts that get censored, aside from the inflammatory/stupid ones, are "leftist" posts that are too "left" for the pretty tame views of the HuffingtonPost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies