Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 03:23 PM

870 posts, read 1,626,882 times

Advertisements

ok. i am in the minority here. you guys think i think it is ok to search a student at anytime. i do not. go back and reread some of the things i said. i am done with this thread. i hope none of your kids are ever in this situation at school. have a good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 03:25 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Clarence Thomas disagrees

In determining whether the search’s scope was reason-able under the Fourth Amendment, it is therefore irrele-vant whether officials suspected Redding of possessing prescription-strength Ibuprofen, nonprescription-strength Naproxen, or some harder street drug. Safford prohibited its possession on school property. Reasonable suspicionthat Redding was in possession of drugs in violation of these policies, therefore, justified a search extending to any area where small pills could be concealed. The search did not violate the Fourth Amendment.
This would then include full cavity searches as well. Yeah, I don't think so.

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
i'm just saying schools should have the right to do so if it is absolutely necessary. most people here are saying it should NEVER be done.
I'm one of those folks. If the such a search is "absolutely necessary" then please by all means call in John Law, and let someone who should at the very least understand what probable cause entails and what constitutes a real threat.

1,122 posts, read 1,087,691 times
But be upheld by Professional Authorities, not school official, and-with the parent/guardian present. Its no secret that inappropriate behaviors are evident in the school system, and by saying that-you'd think that they would want to contact the PD to conduct such a search. TO many school principals try to play God. Not all, but there are the bad apples that like that control. I am all about controling the drug issues at school, BUT searches MUST be done with the proper parties involved. NOT A SCOOL NURSE!

Old 06-25-2009, 03:27 PM

923 posts, read 1,429,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Acting off a random tip about aspirin is hardly necessary. The only "necessary" situation I could possibly think of is if it is proven that the student has hard drugs somewhere on their body or some sort of weapon or such.
I still don't think the school officials should be conducting the search. Call the police and let them handle the legality of any search.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
This would then include full cavity searches as well. Yeah, I don't think so.
Not unless Thomas is ready to rule that the acts of a wrathful parent do not constitute a terrorist act, because there wouldn't be enough Maryland Farmers to prevent me from sounding like Jewels Winnfield and acting like Marsellus Wallace in the basement of a pawnshop if such a search were conducted on my child. I **** you, not.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:34 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Quote:
you are taking it too far. i agreed with the post you just agreed with also. i guess you didn't read that though huh? i'm not saying this strip search stuff should be taken lightly....i'm just saying schools should have the right to do so if it is absolutely necessary. most people here are saying it should NEVER be done.
It should never be done by school officials. It should never be done on the basis of a tip by another student and no other evidence. It should never be done without informing and acquiring consent by parents or legal guardians.

You said,
Quote:
i agree.but the student should definitely be searched.
No, not in this case or any similar case, not by the school and not by the police. They had no reason (as found by the supreme court) to suspect she had pills in her panties, only a 'tip' from another student and that they didn't find them in her back pack...that's not enough to justify a strip search for anyone.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncyank View Post
(as found by the supreme court)
8-1!

Old 06-25-2009, 05:10 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
i never said "any" did i? there you go again putting crap i did not say into my mouth. you never asked me how it should be done. females should always search females and males should search males. most campuses have an officer assigned to them. the officer should do the search at all times if he/she is the same sex as the student. but, you are for just letting them get away with bringing the drugs.
So should a GAY male search a little boy and fondle his privates looking for the horrible Advil tablet? Maybe spread the cheeks a bit? After all you gotta have a good look!

Old 06-25-2009, 05:14 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
you are taking it too far. i agreed with the post you just agreed with also. i guess you didn't read that though huh? i'm not saying this strip search stuff should be taken lightly....i'm just saying schools should have the right to do so if it is absolutely necessary. most people here are saying it should NEVER be done.
Unless you think the kid has a gun or a bomb in his rectum, it should NEVER be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies