Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 12:59 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I haven't read Thomas' dissenting opinion; does anyone know what his rationale was?
Here is his thinking:

"In a dissent, Justice Clarence Thomas said the search had been legal and the court previously had given school officials "considerable leeway" under the Fourth Amendment in school settings. In this case, officials had searched the girl's backpack and found nothing, Thomas said. "It was eminently reasonable to conclude the backpack was empty because Redding was secreting the pills in a place she thought no one would look," he said.
Thomas warned that the majority's decision could backfire. "Redding would not have been the first person to conceal pills in her undergarments," he said. "Nor will she be the last after today's decision, which announces the safest place to secrete contraband in school.""

Strip search of Ariz. teenager illegal, court says - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090625/ap_on_go_su_co/us_supreme_court_strip_search - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 01:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I haven't read Thomas' dissenting opinion; does anyone know what his rationale was?
His rationale was that the in loco parentis doctrine has become so muddled as to be arbitrary and meaningless. On that, he may have a point. His dissent advocates the complete restoration of in loco parentis. For me, that's a bridge too far. I sure as hell don't want any school to have complete de-facto parental authority over my kid(s). He has consistently railed against what he sees as the continual weakening of in loco parentis so his dissent comes as little surprise.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:38 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,579,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
His rationale was that the in loco parentis doctrine has become so muddled as to be arbitrary and meaningless. On that, he may have a point. His dissent advocates the complete restoration of in loco parentis. For me, that's a bridge too far. I sure as hell don't want any school to have complete de-facto parental authority over my kid(s).
Thanks. I agree.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:53 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,073,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
His rationale was that the in loco parentis doctrine has become so muddled as to be arbitrary and meaningless. On that, he may have a point. His dissent advocates the complete restoration of in loco parentis. For me, that's a bridge too far. I sure as hell don't want any school to have complete de-facto parental authority over my kid(s). He has consistently railed against what he sees as the continual weakening of in loco parentis so his dissent comes as little surprise.
I'll home school before I let that happen to my kid.Heck,they don't learn anything in public school anymore anyway.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:45 PM

58 posts, read 91,079 times
That is just perverse and wrong. All people have a right to their privacy. If I was the little girl, I would have ran out of the room and probably out of the school and called the police.

The school officials who did the search should be prosecuted. This is unacceptable.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
If she was thouyght to have violated the presecption drug laws they should have contacted the police and then the parent. Surely any parent would be concerned thinking that hshe might have a substance that could do her harm . Since she is a juvenile in most states the police would have handled it much differently IMO.I also imagine child protective services would ahve want her medcially examined to make sure she had not taken any pills.IOf a serach was called for then it would ahve been a legal decision of serach which it was not in this case since it was not done by a law enrorcement officer.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:15 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,313,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaxUniversum View Post
That is just perverse and wrong. All people have a right to their privacy. If I was the little girl, I would have ran out of the room and probably out of the school and called the police.

The school officials who did the search should be prosecuted. This is unacceptable.
Would you feel the same way if it had been her parents, not school officials, who demanded the strip search?

Old 06-26-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Would you feel the same way if it had been her parents, not school officials, who demanded the strip search?
Whole different ball game then,but that's NOT what happened is it.I cannot for the life of me imagine ANY parent worth their salt WANTING school officials to strip search their child.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:52 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,313,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Whole different ball game then,but that's NOT what happened is it.I cannot for the life of me imagine ANY parent worth their salt WANTING school officials to strip search their child.
I've known Catholics who sent their kids to Catholic schools because the sadism of the nuns, used to discipline their kids, was something they considered beneficial, but beyond their own means as mere mortals.

The nuns were not into sex - but they rather enjoyed violence - and especially for treatment of sex.

Like I've said for a long time, Western civilization and Western religion were never able to get a handle on sex.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I've known Catholics who sent their kids to Catholic schools because the sadism of the nuns, used to discipline their kids, was something they considered beneficial, but beyond their own means as mere mortals.

The nuns were not into sex - but they rather enjoyed violence - and especially for treatment of sex.

Like I've said for a long time, Western civilization and Western religion were never able to get a handle on sex.
And never will IMO.

I've had friends who fought their way through those Catholic schools and I don't know how they did it without becoming serial killers

I had some pretty rough teachers,but NOTHING to match the tales they would tell.Although I'm 100% for corporal punishment by teachers for misbehaving,there is a huge difference between punishment and the sadism that the Catholic schools dished out on a regular basis. I have zero respect for any "parent" who allows their child to be abused in any way at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies