Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 02:18 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,207,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Mon Apr 20, 2009 at 05:14:04 PM PDT

Very nice. Conservative criticism of Obama's foreign policy approach is so patently ridiculous, that he's now openly mocking the wingers freaking out over his handshake with Hugo Chavez.
Venezuela is a country whose defense budget is probably 1/600th of the United States’. They own Citgo. It’s unlikely that as a consequence of me shaking hands or having a polite conversation with Mr. Chavez that we are endangering the strategic interests of the United States. I don’t think anybody can find any evidence that that would do so. Even within this imaginative crowd, I think you would be hard-pressed to paint a scenario in which U.S. interests would be damaged as a consequence of us having a more constructive relationship with Venezuela.
Greg Sargent:
It’s worth recalling that there was a time when Dems would quake with fear about national security attacks coming from the right, let alone respond to them with outright mockery. In this sense, Obama’s tone underscores how much the political climate has shifted on such matters.
It’s also a sign of his confidence that the public is with him — and has little trust in the Republicans — even on questions of national security. He appears to feel on solid enough ground that he can respond to the basic ideas underlying Republican efforts to depict him as weak with little more than contempt and derision.
Me, I'm still chuckling at "this imaginative crowd".
Daily Kos :: Diaries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 02:27 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
I actually agree that attacking him for a handshake is a waste of time.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:32 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Default ...and rightfully so

Conservatives are thus far the biggest JOKE of the 21st century. Certainly worth mocking.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:53 AM

The more we push the right off the cliff of craziness, the more hope there is for us to adapt a more sane foreign policy. Obama needs more moments like this (Remember the State of the Union where he kept confusing the rethugs whether they should clap or not? Yea, stuff like that). America wins...

Old 04-21-2009, 01:11 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,300,646 times
Why wouldn't he address it with sarcasm? It's a moronic stance to take. He knows people are picking his ass apart to find anything, I would shrug it off too.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:12 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
^5 to the Prez.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:23 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,841,798 times
the daily kos? lmao.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:37 PM

Ah the Republicans glorious view of the world: the US is like a scared Elephant, fearful of mice and lashing out with an occasional stomp on whatever poor mouse drew its attention...

Old 04-21-2009, 01:53 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,592,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I actually agree that attacking him for a handshake is a waste of time.
It's actually not when you consider the fact that the photo becomes a poster that emboldens dictators like Chavez and Castro. It sends a message to those opposing these dictators that they (the leaders) are standing up to the US and that any resistance within their own countries is futile.

Also, (not that I am defining your political position but it is more of a statement applying to the far left), where do the hypocritical Democrats really stand on human rights? Apparantly, when it suits them, they completely igonore infringement or complacency unless they can blame it on Bush or Cheney. Selective criticism does not earn a place of respect in my book. Nor does it establish credibility with any independant thinker.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:57 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
It pretty much is a joke. Wow, some decides to act diplomatically at a diplomatic conference. How shocking. Meanwhile there are plenty of photos of every President in the last 100 years shaking hands with worse characters, it's called diplomacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies