Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 06:44 PM

395 posts, read 509,837 times

Advertisements

oh...and another thing that white people are more shunned in society if they make any remarks on others races...whether it be in humor and or anger. Some other races it's more accepted that they can be "racist". I think you really look at things in an unbiased way, you will find this to be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 06:48 PM

737 posts, read 1,174,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Do straight, white males really face discrimination?
No

Old 11-05-2009, 06:58 PM

374 posts, read 810,565 times
I don't know what exactly qualifies for discrimination, but when I played basketball in high school, the black teams were usually pretty hostile to our little small town, predominantly white team. I remember being called a "f**king redneck" fairly often. Also, whenever I have visited certain northern or midwestern states, there have been certain comments made. I don't know about discrimination, maybe a little hostility. I've always felt pretty uncomfortable in certain urban areas, maybe just because I'm the one that doesn't belong.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:00 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,992,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Do straight, white males really face discrimination?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPerson09 View Post
No
I love people who believe they can speak for everyone.

Tell me, what one of these categories do you fit into?
gay, female, or non white? Because no one would preclude to speak for EVERYONE unless you are not part the one with the question being directed to..

Old 11-05-2009, 08:33 PM

486 posts, read 1,032,709 times
Well, you guys can complain all you want. I'll just say that any hard times that we have as white males in this day and age probably pale in comparison to the bull$#%^ many other groups have had to put up and live through. I prefer to not to ***** and moan constantly. I'll leave that for other people or groups who complain about being discriminated against. Like conservatives say, 'work hard and pull yourselves up by the bootstraps'. Cowboy up, boys!

Old 11-05-2009, 08:38 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,082,097 times
Well, I do get pissed off when I hold the door and I don't get a respectable "thank you" in return. Bad manners, perhaps. Or hatred for whitey. Who knows. But I quit holding doors for black women about 15 years ago. Doesn't take too many times without a respectable "thank you" to notice a trend. Coffee on the dress? Who cares. Hands full? Who cares. Learn some manners, and you'll get respect in return.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:45 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,551,139 times
Well I'm I white male and a WASP to boot. I have never been discriminated against for being so. If I was however I would say,"It's about frigging time." My ancestors have been Lording it over the "inferior" races for hundreds of years. A few white faces ruling three quarters of the planet. I'm just really amazed that we have never paid a bigger price for it.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:15 PM

486 posts, read 1,032,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Well, I do get pissed off when I hold the door and I don't get a respectable "thank you" in return. Bad manners, perhaps. Or hatred for whitey. Who knows. But I quit holding doors for black women about 15 years ago. Doesn't take too many times without a respectable "thank you" to notice a trend. Coffee on the dress? Who cares. Hands full? Who cares. Learn some manners, and you'll get respect in return.
I think you're seeing what you want to see. I've never met any ruder ladies than the white sorority girls I met during university. If you didn't have the most expensive SUV, weren't from the most snobby neighborhood, or weren't in the best frat, a lot of them would hardly even speak to you. Sure, I've met some rude ladies, but they haven't all been black.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:19 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,760,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
On account of race? No.

On account of gender? Somewhat. Not so much discrimination, but a some females were getting by with lower standards and less responsibilty for the same pay. I've also had a friend who was on the wrong end of a bogus sexual harrasment claim. Apparently the woman was offended when he told her to put her hair in a bun so it didn't get caught or shed in something.

this concept is not supported by any data out there. In fact women make less for doing the same jobs as men.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:23 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,277,696 times
My Dad is a well educated white man who worked in the same job for more then 40 years and was SCREWED OVER and discriminated against because of affirmative action.

So yes, educated, talented and responsible, a 40+ year employee who was valuable to his company was screwed over for a job that he thought we would retire doing. Then he comes the screw job, a minority with a simple associates degree in basket weaving is handed the job and the huge pay.

My Father sit back and said nothing.

It did not take long for the fool to show himself and he was gone, fired of course! Then came the Naacp saying he was discriminated against.

His job performance and days being late and missed days shut them down real quick.

And of course my Father took the job, fixed the problems he caused and worked for a few years in that job and retired proud and with a hefty retirement.

So to answer the OP, yes, the most talented white man today gets discriminated against all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies