Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 08:01 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
You might want to ask the huge percentage of white males in their 40's
that question before they jump off the Golden gate bridge. They comprise the
largest group in the last year. Now that's what is happening in the real world.
Hope it makes you feel real good..............
In "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" Steve Martin tells John Candy , "if you're going to tell a story, it helps to have a POINT!"

Do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 08:06 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
On another thread, I was surprised to learn that a lot of straight, white guys feel that they feel like a minority or that society is biased against them.

Do straight, white males really face discrimination? If so, how? Please give examples.

I'm hoping for sincere and intelligent answers. Thanks.
Yes, but nothing to really get excited about- the slightly more than occassional annoyance if you will.

Mostly, its an ongoing implication, if not accusation, that as a SWM with a rightward tilt I am somehow responsible for everything bad that has happened from 2000 BC to the present. Whatever...

As for discrimination, By 1978, I had lost count of how many times blacks insulted me for my race. Hypocrisy and double standards by a bunch of loudmouthed cowards. It made me cynical and was at times outright dangerous, but I cannot say it affected my destiny.

Affirmative Action has reared its ugly head in my department as they have promoted someone who simply does not have the tools needed for extended responsibilities. It affects me in that I have to pretend and support this fiction.

So the answer is yes although I am not going to claim to be a SWM version of James Meredith or Cesar Chavez. Everybody takes some crap now and then.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:08 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Yes, but nothing to really get excited about- the slightly more than occassional annoyance if you will.

Mostly, its an ongoing implication, if not accusation, that as a SWM with a rightward tilt I am somehow responsible for everything bad that has happened from 2000 BC to the present. Whatever...

As for discrimination, By 1978, I had lost count of how many times blacks insulted me for my race. Hypocrisy and double standards by a bunch of loudmouthed cowards. It made me cynical and was at times outright dangerous, but I cannot say it affected my destiny.

Affirmative Action has reared its ugly head in my department as they have promoted someone who simply does not have the tools needed for extended responsibilities. It affects me in that I have to pretend and support this fiction.

So the answer is yes although I am not going to claim to be a SWM version of James Meredith or Cesar Chavez. Everybody takes some crap now and then.
The rich suck 40% out of the economy and we turn on each other fighting over their leavings

Old 11-06-2009, 08:09 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,440,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The rich suck 40% out of the economy and we turn on each other fighting over their leavings

Who are "the rich"? How much do I have to make to be "the rich"? Just curious what you feel "rich" is.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:43 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Only the feeble mind of a liberal would come to this conclusion. I never said that "all" black women were the same. I said that I stopped holding doors for black women based on numerous disrespectful experiences. Contrary to popular liberal theory, humans are supposed to be free-thinking types. While you may adhere to the confines of political correctness forced on you by your liberal master's, I do not. If I choose not to hold a door for any particular group or individual, that is what I will do. Bet on it.
I can conclude therefore that YOU only do what is right based on what YOU are going to get back in return.
Your phrase"the feeble mind of a liberal", shows very clearly your totally discriminatory mentality.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:43 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
I know that where I work minorities do not need to have the same level of skill, performance ( demonstrated ability) that white males do.
For example passing score for promotion on a test for white males is 85%.
Women and minorities 80%. I call that discrimination.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:52 AM

888 posts, read 886,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
On another thread, I was surprised to learn that a lot of straight, white guys feel that they feel like a minority or that society is biased against them.

Do straight, white males really face discrimination? If so, how? Please give examples.

I'm hoping for sincere and intelligent answers. Thanks.
Only when I happen to see gay guys, do I feel discriminated against...
But, I think that's a good thing, no?
Other than that, when I rent a Ferrari and drive down Ocean, nobody dares to risk discriminating against me.

Oh... this is a thread for white guys only... I'm Latino...sorry.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:56 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"Thanks for the application, but we're not hiring" says the black female from behind the counter. Hey, wait a minute, they're all black females. No white women and no white men, just black females (theme from twilight zone begins playing in the background). How odd that the application said "Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer" as though the two were not mutually exclusive concepts. What sort of newspeak is that? How can one group be given preferential treatment, yet the opportunity be equal for all?

The truth is it is simply a matter of convenience to blame white males, a statistical minority, for the short comings of other groups. This is because doing anything else defines others as inferior. That, of course, is unacceptable in PC America. Take for example the recent thread about whites doing nothing to help a child being abducted by a middle aged white man. The staged event had the little girl yelling "You're not my dad" as he dragged her to his vehicle. You can do this all day long as long as the creepy child molester is white. FBI statistics show that with sex crimes, like most other crime categories, blacks are twice as likely to offend as whites, but we cannot have a black man abducting a white child on TV. The OP made hay of the fact that two black males came to the rescue while whites did nothing to help. In America, the races could never, never ever be reversed.

I sit through endless Broadband Alarm commercials in which some creepy white dude is always peeking through a hole in the fence of some woman and her child just before he kicks the door in, presumably to rape the woman and/or child, or commit some other equally sick crime. Always, ALWAYS it's a white guy. Gotta be a dozen different scenarios played out, but always a door getting kicked in and some creepy white dude doing it.

Same thing with the anti-drug PSAs. Got some white dude selling drugs to a black kid. It's never the other way around. Go anywhere in America and find a crack dealer and I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts its a black dude, but you'll never see it on TV.

And the work place, good night! We have to watch every single word that comes out of our mouthes because some female might go crying to human resources because she doesn't like you or she has a friend who needs a jobs and yours will do just fine. With precious few exceptions, I don't even speak to females at work if I can avoid it. The way I look at it, anything I say can and will be used against me.

What happened to Jerold MacKenzie happens to white males all the time. Generally speaking, and from the employer's point of view, being white and male means you have to go when a conflict arises for them to avoid a lawsuit. Employers know NOW or the Rainbow Coalition won't show up if the white guy gets canned. So they do the safe thing and screw him. In MacKenzie's case, even though the original jury found in his favor and the female who brought the complaint was proven to be a liar, Miller won on appeal because they have more lawyers.

So if you ever wonder why the white guy at work seems have an attitude for you and generally makes a point to ignore you, now you know why. From a white males perspective, everyone who is not also a white male is a potential lawsuit.
So mate, since you've got it so bad, tell me, would you ever trade places? If you could be the exact same person you are, only black or Asian, would you do it? Do you think your work life would be the same? Do you think your social life would be the same?

What I'm asking you is, do you really think you face more discrimination or more servere discrimination relative to those groups that are arguably the most discriminated against in society?

Old 11-06-2009, 08:57 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I know that where I work minorities do not need to have the same level of skill, performance ( demonstrated ability) that white males do.
For example passing score for promotion on a test for white males is 85%.
Women and minorities 80%. I call that discrimination.
Yup! It is....GOOD! Because without it ALL white males would get ALL the jobs.

That teeny 5% difference can ALMOST make up for the personal discrimination of those who do the hiring.....

Old 11-06-2009, 09:15 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Yup! It is....GOOD! Because without it ALL white males would get ALL the jobs.

That teeny 5% difference can ALMOST make up for the personal discrimination of those who do the hiring.....

If those who do the hiring are truly discriminating- I am quite sure you have checked and verified that- then why would they be awarding 5%?

If the 5% is "teeny", as you say, then why not simply require everyone to score the same? If it is "teeny", surley minorities are capable of surmounting it.

A "teeny" 5% sounds like the soft racism of diminished expectations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies