Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 06:58 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,941,832 times

Advertisements

I never stated that waterboarding wasn't torture...If it takes torture to save an American life... I wouldn't hesitate to use it...In my opinion its justifiable and moral...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 06:59 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
NYT: Harsh techniques worked, intel chief says - White House- msnbc.com

President Obama’s national intelligence director told colleagues in a private memo last week that the harsh interrogation techniques banned by the White House did produce significant information that helped the nation in its struggle with terrorists.
Sure. That's what they all say. Anything goes as long as it produces information. You know how they came up with the methods? They got them from the Chinese and the North Koreans who used them against American POW to force false confessions out of them.

NYT: Origins of 'torture' tactics overlooked - The New York Times- msnbc.com

Old 04-22-2009, 07:08 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
I never stated that waterboarding wasn't torture...If it takes torture to save an American life... I wouldn't hesitate to use it...In my opinion its justifiable and moral...
That's just how terrorists feel.....if you act like a terrorist, you are one.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:11 AM

125 posts, read 187,575 times
Eight months into Bush's first term as president the 9/11 terrorist attacks (man caused disaters) occured. With the current state of this nation - financial crisis, a quite obvious and serious divide of the citizenship of this country, the "let's all be friends and play nice" policy of the current administration along with the their public condemnation of the past administrations defense and national security policies and actions ... sure doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy and SAFE. If this country were ever ripe for other "man caused disasters" it is now. It's almost like the Welcome Mat and Red Carpet is being laid out for it. And when it does happen I guess the "turn the other cheek policy" will kick in.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:31 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,941,832 times
Who?Me! & Finn_Jarber,

Lets says we had a captured terorrist that had info on a plot to blow-up a school with innocent children...He refuses to disclose any info on the plot...I'm curious what would you two do in that situation...waterboarding yes or no...

Old 04-22-2009, 12:02 PM

923 posts, read 1,429,117 times
Quote:
NYT: Harsh techniques worked, intel chief says - White House- msnbc.com
President Obama’s national intelligence director told colleagues in a private memo last week that the harsh interrogation techniques banned by the White House did produce significant information that helped the nation in its struggle with terrorists.
Like I'm going to believe anything that comes out of the intelligence community. They regularly make these type statements to justify their jobs. As far as torture, you think it's a good idea? If so, don't complain when a country or group tortures captured American soldiers or citizens.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:05 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
No,unfortunately you are doing the spinning!!!

First, people like you will NOT admit that waterboarding was torture, which you know by the very definition of torture would include waterboarding.
You brush aside common fact and truth when you think it may somehow demean this country to the world stage.

Only a fool would believe that this country has not partaken in immoral and unjust actions during times in it's history, not only against it's own citizens but in the internal affairs of other sovereign nations.

Now, if my country's internal affairs had been manipulated or in some other way meddled with and I knew this, who would be the bigger fool, you trying to pretend those things never happened while dealing with me or me for pretending that you never did those things!!
Semantics aside, If you believe waterboarding is torture, will you support criminalizing Pelosi and other lawmakers that were briefed on CIA interrogation methods in 2002, but did not object to it?

Yes or no?

Pelosi - other lawmakers - briefed on use of torture - did NOT object

Old 04-22-2009, 12:05 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitem3 View Post
Like I'm going to believe anything that comes out of the intelligence community. They regularly make these type statements to justify their jobs. As far as torture, you think it's a good idea? If so, don't complain when a country or group tortures captured American soldiers or citizens.
Agree.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:09 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Who?Me! & Finn_Jarber,

Lets says we had a captured terorrist that had info on a plot to blow-up a school with innocent children...He refuses to disclose any info on the plot...I'm curious what would you two do in that situation...waterboarding yes or no...
Or maybe determine what other methods work besides torture, however it's defined by the UN or whoever defines it.

I only know what works on my kids, lol.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:00 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walksalone View Post
the "let's all be friends and play nice" policy of the current administration along with the their public condemnation of the past administrations defense and national security policies and actions ... sure doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy and SAFE.
What a strange and bizzare characterization.

Obama has expanded the attacks on suspected al-Qaeda and Taliban targets in Pakistan, he has added 15,000 troops to Afghanistan and much to the chagrin of many of his left supporters has defended the warrantless wiretaps, and use of other anti-terrorist methods devised by the Bush Administration. And, to top it off, in his first 3:00AM phone call dispatched a Navy SEAL team to dispatch 3 Somali pirates, yet despite all of that, you would still characterize his security policies as simply "playing nice"?!?

I do believe that you, like many, confuse the lack of bluster and bravado with weakness. Bush was the little man shiite talker in barroom, I suspect that Obama is more like the tall quiet guy in the corner who you really have to look out for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies