U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-23-2009, 08:13 PM
 
8,648 posts, read 16,309,430 times
Reputation: 4603

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
I had to ask myself, can the President of the United States (no matter who he is) do that which is said in this post.

Excuse me as I may be wrong as I have been known to be wrong about allot of things, BUT...

Isn't the United States of America, governed by, The House of Representatives, State Senates and Congress? And if there is any funny business going on, it is to those three government entities one should be looking at?

I always thought and yes there I go thinking again (ouch that hurts) that the President of the United States was a figure head. Also, for the President to enact anything he would have to talk to the reps, the senators and congress, and talk them into conspiring with him.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't they regulate the Presidency not the other way around?

I know the President has final veto power, but in order for him to have something to veto on, the paper work has to be compiled from somewhere else?
The President is the Commander In Chief of the Military.... They do what he orders....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-23-2009, 08:16 PM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
20,462 posts, read 24,627,479 times
Reputation: 7609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgewalker View Post
Don't say it could never happen, it already has!

As crazy as this sounds if you look at what the administration is doing and planning on attempting to do, you have to ask yourself, Why?

Why treat the economy in a manner that causes more problems rather than fewer? Why take over the auto industry and the banking industry? Why work on being able to take full control of the Internet? Why work on a policy that shuts off political opposition radio shows? Why stand behind reports that target your political adversaries as potential terrorists? Why work to weaken or abridge the 1st and 2nd Amendments of the Constitution?


Former presidential candidate Alan Keyes has given perhaps his most dire warning yet, saying that the Obama administration is preparing to stage terror attacks, declare martial law and cancel the 2012 elections, which is why they are demonizing their political enemies as criminals and terrorists
Alan Keyes: Government Will Stage Terror, Declare Martial Law

Wacka-do, wacka-do, wacka-do-do-do!

Keyes is a lunatic!

Ken
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Hoboken
19,889 posts, read 17,602,499 times
Reputation: 3141
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
I had to ask myself, can the President of the United States (no matter who he is) do that which is said in this post.

Excuse me as I may be wrong as I have been known to be wrong about allot of things, BUT...

Isn't the United States of America, governed by, The House of Representatives, State Senates and Congress? And if there is any funny business going on, it is to those three government entities one should be looking at?

I always thought and yes there I go thinking again (ouch that hurts) that the President of the United States was a figure head. Also, for the President to enact anything he would have to talk to the reps, the senators and congress, and talk them into conspiring with him.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't they regulate the Presidency not the other way around?

I know the President has final veto power, but in order for him to have something to veto on, the paper work has to be compiled from somewhere else?

You're wrong on 2 counts. The President is the head of 1 of the 3 coequal branches of government. The three branches are the executive (president), Legislative (senate and house , collectively known as congress) and Judicial (courts).

All three branches balance each other hence the phrase checks and balances.

Plus this fun fact.

Establishing martial law in the United States - SourceWatch
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
526 posts, read 1,210,977 times
Reputation: 948
Oh, I believe it. As frightening as it is, it's good to be open-minded and be aware. At least I won't be panicking because I'll know what's going on!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 09:10 PM
 
Location: North Pacific
13,262 posts, read 5,920,961 times
Reputation: 2024
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
You're wrong on 2 counts. The President is the head of 1 of the 3 coequal branches of government. The three branches are the executive (president), Legislative (senate and house , collectively known as congress) and Judicial (courts).

All three branches balance each other hence the phrase checks and balances.

Plus this fun fact.

Establishing martial law in the United States - SourceWatch
Quote:
"But on closer inspection, its language also alters the two-centuries-old Insurrection Act, which Congress passed in 1807 to limit the president’s power to deploy troops within the United States ... 'to suppress, in a State, any insurrection, domestic violence, unlawful combination, or conspiracy'," Stein wrote.
"But the amended law takes the cuffs off" and "critics say it’s a formula for executive branch mischief," Stein wrote, as "the new language adds 'natural disaster, epidemic, or other serious public health emergency, terrorist attack or incident' to the list of conditions permitting the President to take over local authority — particularly 'if domestic violence has occurred to such an extent that the constituted authorities of the State or possession are incapable of maintaining public order.'"
What that tells me is that Congress is/was not paying attention.
How a Bill Becomes a Law — Infoplease.com

Our government, in a perfect world, was to be set up under the checks and balances, so that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. (absolute government corrupts absolutely)

What you are telling me is that the right hand and the left hand wash each other now and that we don't have a President that is to adhere to the executive branches but a King who controls the outcome of the three.

Yes he is the Chief of Military OPs and for that I have often wondered why it changed we don't elect generals, but instead, business professionals.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 09:17 PM
 
Location: Hoboken
19,889 posts, read 17,602,499 times
Reputation: 3141
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
What that tells me is that Congress is/was not paying attention.
How a Bill Becomes a Law — Infoplease.com

Our government, in a perfect world, was to be set up under the checks and balances, so that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. (absolute government corrupts absolutely)

What you are telling me is that the right hand and the left hand wash each other now and that we don't have a President that is to adhere to the executive branches but a King who controls the outcome of the three.

Yes he is the Chief of Military OPs and for that I have often wondered why it changed we don't elect generals, but instead, business professionals.
In emergency situations the President can act like kind of a king.

Each hand only washes each other when the 3 branches are controlled by one party. That is why the people generally prefer divided government.

You are right absolute power corrupts absolutely. Which is why the Republicans will probably pick op seats in 2010.

Historically we have elected Presidents who have had some military service. The last 3 have not. Very few have been business professionals.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 09:24 PM
 
Location: Idaho Falls
5,027 posts, read 5,865,979 times
Reputation: 1482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgewalker View Post
Don't say it could never happen, it already has!

As crazy as this sounds if you look at what the administration is doing and planning on attempting to do, you have to ask yourself, Why?

Why treat the economy in a manner that causes more problems rather than fewer? Why take over the auto industry and the banking industry? Why work on being able to take full control of the Internet? Why work on a policy that shuts off political opposition radio shows? Why stand behind reports that target your political adversaries as potential terrorists? Why work to weaken or abridge the 1st and 2nd Amendments of the Constitution?


Former presidential candidate Alan Keyes has given perhaps his most dire warning yet, saying that the Obama administration is preparing to stage terror attacks, declare martial law and cancel the 2012 elections, which is why they are demonizing their political enemies as criminals and terrorists
Alan Keyes: Government Will Stage Terror, Declare Martial Law
This is what's known as "jumping the shark" folks. The death of the GOP is directly related to posts like this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 09:27 PM
 
Location: Hoboken
19,889 posts, read 17,602,499 times
Reputation: 3141
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
This is what's known as "jumping the shark" folks. The death of the GOP is directly related to posts like this.
Relax, the death is greatly exaggerated. I remember talk in the early 90s about a permanent Republican majority. The Dems have too much power, they will abuse it like every majority before them and they will get tossed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
90,377 posts, read 112,058,237 times
Reputation: 35920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgewalker View Post
Don't say it could never happen, it already has!

As crazy as this sounds if you look at what the administration is doing and planning on attempting to do, you have to ask yourself, Why?

Why treat the economy in a manner that causes more problems rather than fewer? Why take over the auto industry and the banking industry? Why work on being able to take full control of the Internet? Why work on a policy that shuts off political opposition radio shows? Why stand behind reports that target your political adversaries as potential terrorists? Why work to weaken or abridge the 1st and 2nd Amendments of the Constitution?


Former presidential candidate Alan Keyes has given perhaps his most dire warning yet, saying that the Obama administration is preparing to stage terror attacks, declare martial law and cancel the 2012 elections, which is why they are demonizing their political enemies as criminals and terrorists
Alan Keyes: Government Will Stage Terror, Declare Martial Law
Safeway has tinfoil on sale this week. Stock up!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 10:01 PM
AT9
 
Location: Midwest City, Oklahoma
691 posts, read 1,128,994 times
Reputation: 509
As much as I dislike Obama, these theory’s are just stupid.

If Obama were really to cancel the 2012 elections, you could bet that even his secret service members would turn on him. The president of the US is an extremely powerful person, but this president, or any recent president for that matter, does not command that much control over the armed forces. Obama would be signing his own execution papers if he did something like that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top