Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 08:56 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

According to burrellsluce.com, these magazines are the top 10 in circulation (in order of highest to lowest circulation):

1 AARP Bulletin
2 AARP The Magazine
3 Reader’s Digest
4 Better Homes and Gardens
5 National Geographic
6 Good Housekeeping
7 Woman’s Day
8 Family Circle
9 AAA Westways
10 Ladies Home Journal

Are you surprised that no current events/politics/entertainment/sports/sex magazines crack the Top 10? I think I'd like to see a readership age breakdown.

According to the same source, these are the Top 10 newspapers in circulation:

1 USA Today
2 The Wall Street Journal
3 The New York Times
4 Los Angeles Times
5 Daily News - New York, NY
6 New York Post
7 Washington Post
8 Chicago Tribune
9 Houston Chronicle
10 The Arizona Republic - Phoenix, AZ

I suppose what jumped out at me here is that NYC has 4 newspapers in the Top 10. Given its population, I probably shouldn't be that surprised but with all of the talk about declining newspaper readers and papers going out of business, NYC is sustaining four of the Top 10. That 4 survive in the Top 10 surprises me.

The website also has info on Top Media outlets but since I only heard of 4 out of 25 of them, and have visited only 1 of them, I can't comment on those. Top Social networks are there, too, and I don't go to any of them. Maybe someone familiar with all or most of them can see a pattern.

If you would like to see the four lists and their circulation numbers/site rank:

http://www.burrellesluce.com/top100/...op_100List.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 12:38 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,318 times
Publications like the AARP and AAA ones come free with membership to the organizations I believe, so for those 3, it's not a surprise. I know my father gets those AARP mags and doesn't thumb through them, and I get the AAA mag and never look at it.

National Geographic sometimes hits on current event/politics.

Interesting lists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies