Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 01:45 PM

654 posts, read 466,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It was once the case under the Bush administration that the U.S. would abduct people from around the world, accuse them of being Terrorists, ship them to Guantanamo, and then keep them there for as long as we wanted without offering them any real due process to contest the accusations against them. That due-process-denying framework was legalized by the Military Commissions Act of 2006.
Rest of story: Obama and habeas corpus -- then and now - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

[Edited for copyright]

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 04-22-2009 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 01:49 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
I support taking terrorists off the battlefield, and I personally could care less if they are held in uncomfortable prisons in a far away land.

What I do care about is the double-talk that keeps eminating from Obama's mouth.

Liberals fell for it. I didn't, I don't, and I never will.

Obama is a scumbag politician that will say anything to get elected, while blaming everyone around him on the way.

The liberal mouthpiece machine is a house of cards. One by one, the cards are falling, exposing liberals for what they truly are: Duped Robots.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:22 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I support taking terrorists off the battlefield, and I personally could care less if they are held in uncomfortable prisons in a far away land.

What I do care about is the double-talk that keeps eminating from Obama's mouth.

Liberals fell for it. I didn't, I don't, and I never will.

Obama is a scumbag politician that will say anything to get elected, while blaming everyone around him on the way.

The liberal mouthpiece machine is a house of cards. One by one, the cards are falling, exposing liberals for what they truly are: Duped Robots.
You continue with your attempt to belittle liberals, but it was not the liberals alone that voted for this President and its not only the Liberals that support this President. Further more, as a reminder, considering the alternative choice during the election...

Old 04-22-2009, 02:25 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,743 times
we had a choice? oh, you mean a choice in color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
You continue with your attempt to belittle liberals, but it was not the liberals alone that voted for this President and its not only the Liberals that support this President. Further more, as a reminder, considering the alternative choice during the election...

Old 04-22-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Without a proper trial, then we do not know that they are terrorists. There are documented cases of people being detained for up to 7-years in an "uncomfortable prison" without being charged. Being detained indefinitely without being charged is not an exercise in liberty and it is not recognizing fundamental human rights. If you do not have reason to hold them, then they shouldn't be there. It was atrocious when we did it to the Japanese in WWII and it is atrocious now.

Quote:
What I do care about is the double-talk that keeps eminating from Obama's mouth
There have been a few changes, but its BUB--Business as Usual Barack.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:38 PM

229 posts, read 241,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
It is not about that. It a a fundamental difference in opion. Libs enjoy the freedoms we have as Americans and so do the right wingers. The difference is right wingers want to work, pray and live with out government intrusion. Libs believe in welfare and have the government do it all for them. I believe they pray but I just don't know what for.
Obama "not a single item in this stimulus bill is pork or earmarks" That was a huge lie and sparked the Tea Parties. McCain would have been marginally better, but not much. Obama is not even really black, he is a half breed with no experience running anything so much as a burger king. Romney was the best choice but folks could not get past the Mormon issue. So don't make this about race. It is about who is experienced to do the job. A muslin born in Kenya is not who we want in our whitehouse. Or are we calling it the not white, not black but instead calling it that place on the hill where the president lives. Just keep voting by color and see how far that gets you. I am white, my wife is black ... I married her because she was qualified to be a good wife and loving mother. Color and good looks had nothing to do with it. Can you say the same about your vote?

Old 04-22-2009, 08:51 PM

It looks like the Obama administration is following in the footsteps of Bush-- people can be detained indefinitely without a proper trial or having charges brought against them.

Quote:
WASHINGTON — A federal judge ruled on Thursday that some prisoners held by the United States military in Afghanistan have a right to challenge their imprisonment, dealing a blow to government efforts to detain terrorism suspects for extended periods without court oversight.

In a 53-page ruling that rejected a claim of unfettered executive power advanced by both the Bush and Obama administrations, United States District Judge John D. Bates said that three detainees at the United States’ Bagram Air Base had the same legal rights that the Supreme Court last year granted to prisoners held at the American naval base in Guantánamo Bay, Cuba.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/03/wa...l?ref=politics

Old 04-22-2009, 08:56 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,847,392 times
New right wing talking point alert!!!!!
Bush and Obama are the same.
I guess all the rightwingers are now in support of Obama???

Old 04-22-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
New right wing talking point alert!!!!!
Bush and Obama are the same.
I guess all the rightwingers are now in support of Obama???
I see that you are more concerned about spewing rubbish than being concerned about our executive branch having the power to detain people indefinitely without being charged or tried, which is a fundamental human right as expressed by our Constitution.

It is unfortunate that Obama is following Bush's footsteps regarding habeas corpus and more unfortunate that his base apathetic over this.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:43 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Obama?
Hypocrite?

Say it aint so....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies