Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:43 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,313,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
If everyone's living the life they want to live, what does it matter?
Well yes, I was repulsed by whatever theory he may have had about living a lie.

Cause I think even Ms Connie might be living a lie under SOME sort of theory.

Still, what other people think of you can have disastrous effects on your ability to live the life you want to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 10:57 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,657,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Still, what other people think of you can have disastrous effects on your ability to live the life you want to live.
Yes. And in cases where it does affect a person's life, then certainly, someone else's opinion can matter. But if their opinion doesn't affect my ability to do the things I want to do, then I don't care what they think.

That's why I'm mystified by the people who spend an inordinate amount of time commenting on gay issues when it doesn't affect them directly. They're obsessed with the subject, and you have to wonder why...

Old 04-25-2009, 03:19 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,434,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
A friend bewailed to me about 20 years ago (on behalf of his gay brother) that gays were forced to live a lie.

In whatever way his brother was living a lie then, do you think that today's gay marriages would still carry the thought by the married gays that they were living a lie?

Or by today's observing Christians that the married gays were living a lie?
I'm not sure I understand your question. When you say "living a lie" and that it was 20 years ago, is that because he wasn't able to be openly gay?
A married same-sex couple is obviously open and if they were living together before getting married, that would most likely would have been the case too (otherwise, making both announcements at the same time, would be a lot for one day....that you're coming out and that you'll be getting married to your partner, that no one even knew you had up until then)....so, if that's what he meant, no.

I don't know what other way he would have meant he was "living a lie"....if he meant it some other way, it's not coming to mind for me right now, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies