Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 07:41 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Also, a related and interesting article at China's Stimulus Package Boosts Economy - BusinessWeek

Are we following China's lead? Are they following ours? Either way you look at it, when reading the article it appears we are pretty much walking side-by-side in the same footsteps as China in many economic respects. However, I don't see where they are pushing for actions to control CO2.

Also, wonder if their loans will blow up in their face like our housing loans did?
Neither, China is simply spending money they already have, they can easily spent to stimulate the economy without any long term consequences, complete opposite of our stimulus packages..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 07:45 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Neither, China is simply spending money they already have, they can easily spent to stimulate the economy without any long term consequences, complete opposite of our stimulus packages..

Plus their infrastructure improvements produce real stimulus where ours are only incremental improvements. It's not like we are building roads where there were none before.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:51 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Good point.
We are spending money we don't already have.
The CBO projects if Obama/WH's budget goes as they want, we will have a cumulative deficit of almost $9.3 trillion over the next 10 years.

Director’s Blog » Blog Archive » Preliminary Analysis of the President’s Budget

Old 04-22-2009, 07:58 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Good point.
We are spending money we don't already have.
The CBO projects if Obama/WH's budget goes as they want, we will have a cumulative deficit of almost $9.3 trillion over the next 10 years.

Director’s Blog » Blog Archive » Preliminary Analysis of the President’s Budget
And somewhere around here is floating a link that the White House chief financial officer acknowledges that if the CBO's projections are correct, we are bankrupt. (unlike China)..

The scary part, the CBO and White Houses budgets are only 5% apart.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:58 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
When China decides that our currency is not an acceptable risk, we might as well close up the shop known as America. The big question will be what do we call ourselves? Northern Mexico or Southern Canada? With trillions in projected debt and 40-50% of the population not paying taxes, we're doomed.

I don't blame Obama for ALL the mess, but his big spending ways aren't exactly encouraging for the future.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
When China decides that our currency is not an acceptable risk, we might as well close up the shop known as America. The big question will be what do we call ourselves? Northern Mexico or Southern Canada? With trillions in projected debt and 40-50% of the population not paying taxes, we're doomed.

I don't blame Obama for ALL the mess, but his big spending ways aren't exactly encouraging for the future.
Very scary!!

Agree, the problems started before Obama (in many ways even before Bush ie regs sets, etc.) but now throwing piles of money we don't have onto the fire....

I keep trying to see the other side but I just don't get it:
* I wonder why thousands of other Americans don't see all this spending as a problem. When I talk to people, many say we need the spending to help the economy so they are all in support of the spending. But, they are not concerned about who is going to pay for it.

* I can't help but wonder if the govt had NOT taken all the actions they did (TARP, stimulus, voting the bonus in the stimulus then taxing it, coercing the GM CEO to quit, the "war on business", etc.) -- I can't help but wonder if they had not taken those actions if we would be where we are. Govt actions have made many business people skittish. Would things have not gotten so bad if govt had not taken certain actions? Banks are wanting to give back Fed $$ - if they were so crippled - how can they already pay back the money? Why is the govt not allowing them to pay it back?

* On this site and in other arena's - if you are opposed to the spending, Obama/WH policies, etc. then you are attacked and called a racist or whatever. I don't get it. Why isn't everyone concerned about the spending?

‘Manchurian Candidate’ Starts War on Business: Kevin Hassett - Bloomberg.com
Obama Declares War on Investors, Entrepreneurs, Businesses, And More - Money and Politics Blog - CNBC.com
American Thinker Blog: Obama's War on Business

Interesting article on small business and the stimulus:
Don't Bank on the Stimulus - AOL Small Business

Old 04-22-2009, 08:42 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,860 times
Not sure if this is entirely on topic, but I watched something on the CBC about America's crushing medicare/medicaid costs that are projected to skyrocket and exceed GDP.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
Not sure if this is entirely on topic, but I watched something on the CBC about America's crushing medicare/medicaid costs that are projected to skyrocket and exceed GDP.
Oh great. Exceed GDP - that is scary.
I think I want to go back to buying my head in the sand along with the, dare I say, majority of Americans.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:52 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,860 times
Quote:
Oh great. Exceed GDP - that is scary.
I think I want to go back to buying my head in the sand along with the, dare I say, majority of Americans.
Well this is the CBC, so it was a foreign documentary (Canadian). However, it shouldn't be dismissed on that premise alone. It went into how Bush signed a medicaid bill that is costing the american taxpayers loads because of the greying population, excess use of name brand prescriptions that are very expensive and are covered by taxpayers and I believe they said by 2050 if not changed, will exceed GDP costs.

In a sense, it would be in everyone's best interest financially to take care of their health in the here and now. Its tough to eat well, exercise and live right and manage your stress, but if you don't it'll end up emptying the public coffers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies