Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 03:23 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,435,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
You're delusional.

US complicity and involvement in the undermining of Somali government is an indisputable fact, and I challenge you to offer any evidence to the contrary.
Whether or not that is is the case, it's irrelevant....it doesn't mean that because it is therefore OK it commit piracy or any other crime (especially a serious one like murder, attempted murder, etc.).

Even though Muse may be 16, age is considered but, not the only factor in determining whether or not someone under 18 gets tried as an adult. Teenagers under 18 get tried as adults every day all over the country. He's being given a trail as well as being provided with counsel....he's innocent until proven guilty....that's what a trail is for. If something unfair happens during the trial, his attorney's will be able to file for an appeal based on that reason (and ask for a new trail). You can't question the fairness of the trial before it even starts....unless you believe that's it's unfair to even arrest him in the first place and he should just be let go. As others have said on here, he could have suffered the same fate as one of his accomplices....so why aren't you complaining that's it's unfair that they got shot and died?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 04:48 PM

472 posts, read 740,698 times
His age is immaterial. Anyone old enough to illegaly board a ship on the high seas in a hostile manner and hold people captive at gun point is old enough to face the consequences. He should feel very fortunate he didn't end up as fish food.

The condition of government or not government has no bearing and should not be considered.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:37 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,032,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey boy View Post
I don't know the exact circumstances surrounding any US undermining of the Somali Government, regardless, the pirates target all countries shipping. I know your MO, you hate this country, and look for anything to target in this regard, yet you live here and enjoy all the country provides you.
I've wondered myself why Mr. Gangsta doesn't find himself a nice country, say like Somalia and move there. Of course he'd be shot if he opined as he does here. That is if he didn't starve to death first.

The spoiled lefties that think America is so evil...quite child like.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:13 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,324 times
Quote:
The WSWS has got to be the most insightful newsletter on the internet. Don't believe me? Then check out this commentary of the Somali "pirate" situation. Read it and weep. Somali teen faces life sentence on piracy charges
I had heard that he is very confused and extremely distraught. He obviously got caught up in something that he could not understand the possible ramifications. It is too bad that Obama has to use him as a statement about how tough he is on Pirates.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:16 PM

654 posts, read 1,210,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
I had heard that he is very confused and extremely distraught. He obviously got caught up in something that he could not understand the possible ramifications. It is too bad that Obama has to use him as a statement about how tough he is on Pirates.
It's too bad that he wasn't taken out like his partners were.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:31 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
So then we are in agreement, this trial is unfair and unjust. It will amount to nothing at all but a "show trial." The US should not have killed those pirates, but should have continued negotiating with them in good faith. Are we agreed? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:36 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omle View Post
I've wondered myself why Mr. Gangsta doesn't find himself a nice country, say like Somalia and move there. Of course he'd be shot if he opined as he does here. That is if he didn't starve to death first.

The spoiled lefties that think America is so evil...quite child like.

As a patriot, and an American who loves his country, it is my duty is to criticize my country when it does wrong. Moral cowardice and weakness are antithetical to patriotism.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:48 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
So then we are in agreement, this trial is unfair and unjust.
The law of priacy on high seas is clear, there is significant and overwhelming probable cause that both international laws and those of the United States were willfully violated, so to declare that the trial of Mr. Muse is either unfair or unjust is simply ridiculous.

Quote:
The US should not have killed those pirates, but should have continued negotiating with them in good faith. Are we agreed? Yeah, I didn't think so.
You are right, I was not on scene but in the estimation of those duly sanctioned to enforce both international and national laws deemed that there was an imminent threat of death of serious injury, of which I have read nothing to place that assestment in doubt, the use of lethal force was quite appropriate by ever legal and moral standard.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:56 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,490 times
Quote:
The WSWS has got to be the most insightful newsletter on the internet. Don't believe me? Then check out this commentary of the Somali "pirate" situation. Read it and weep. Somali teen faces life sentence on piracy charges
Just think, if the young man is convicted, Uncle Sam will tend for him the remainder of his entire life....a nice warm cot, a toilet, running water, 3 meals a day, free medical care, access to law libraries, television, possible cell mates, one hour a day recreational activities. So, you see, it's probably not going to be as bad for him as some of you might think, the young man will probably have it better than his friends, and possibly better than he'd previously had it. I'll just betcha' he doesn't even know what a toilet bowl is (poor kid). Hey, we Americans know how to treat OUR PIRATES! C'mon Courtv!

Old 04-23-2009, 07:53 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,810,759 times
In a way this is good. It will give the Somalis a forum to vent their frustration over the illegal dumping and fishing off their shores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies