Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 03:04 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,209,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgibbs42 View Post
The House passed the Generations Invigorating Volunteerism and Education Act yesterday. The bill includes language indicating young people will be forced to participate in mandatory national service programs. The bill also states that "service learning" will be a mandatory part of the youth curriculum.
That doesn't sound much like "volunteerism" does it?

Thoughts anyone, Bambi sounds like Hitler round II.
I did not support Saint Barack in the campaign and sure didn't vote for him but I see a lot more Pelosi involved her than Obama. I don't trust her at all and, in fact, I think that this witch hunt the Congress is off on right now is more her fault than his. Pelosi, Conyers, Leahy and some other far lefters joined in with Moveon.org, the ACLU and some other left leaning organizations to pressure Obama into stepping aside on that situation and he tried to pull one of those hand washing acts to take the blame away.

I think that people need to investigate Public Allies a bit more as the main part of Obama's civilian force before they get worried about this little deal. Sure they have a desire to force teens into something like this but they have to get it past the Senate now. Public Allies have been around since 1993 when Saint Barack first organized them and they have expanded so much since he started running for Pres 2 years ago. Go to Home - Public Allies Public Site and check that group out. Throw them in with ACORN and you have a real head start without forcing all teens to take political training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 03:05 PM

26,162 posts, read 48,881,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Volunteer and receive grants for college. Don't exactly see how that is mandatory.
Sounds like the Army "money for college" program - minus the guns. I guess some people hate it because it might help a black kid.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:06 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,634,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Forced volunteerism? It is mandatory to do some kind of volunteerism in order to graduate high school, so this doesn't bother me at all. Kills two birds with one stone and all that.
The only way this would be a bad thing is if teens were only allowed to volunteer for certain state approved charities. That would be passing awfully close to a line none of us wants to cross.
There are just certain types of places from all sides that cannot be used for this bill (see below):

Quote:
SEC. 132A. PROHIBITED ACTIVITIES AND INELIGIBLE ORGANIZATIONS.

‘(a) Prohibited Activities- An approved national service position under this subtitle may not be used for the following activities:

‘(1) Attempting to influence legislation.

‘(2) Organizing or engaging in protests, petitions, boycotts, or strikes.

‘(3) Assisting, promoting, or deterring union organizing.

‘(4) Impairing existing contracts for services or collective bargaining agreements.

‘(5) Engaging in partisan political activities, or other activities designed to influence the outcome of an election to Federal office or the outcome of an election to a State or local public office.

‘(6) Participating in, or endorsing, events or activities that are likely to include advocacy for or against political parties, political platforms, political candidates, proposed legislation, or elected officials.

‘(7) Engaging in religious instruction, conducting worship services, providing instruction as part of a program that includes mandatory religious instruction or worship, constructing or operating facilities devoted to religious instruction or worship, maintaining facilities primarily or inherently devoted to religious instruction or worship, or engaging in any form of proselytization, consistent with section 132.

‘(8) Consistent with section 132, providing a direct benefit to any--

‘(A) business organized for profit;

‘(B) labor union;

‘(C) partisan political organization;

‘(D) nonprofit organization that fails to comply with the restrictions contained in section 501(c) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, except that nothing in this paragraph shall be construed to prevent participants from engaging in advocacy activities undertaken at their own initiative; and

‘(E) organization engaged in the religious activities described in paragraph (7), unless the position is not used to support those religious activities.

‘(9) Providing abortion services or referrals for receipt of such services.

‘(10) Conducting a voter registration drive or using Corporation funds to conduct a voter registration drive.

‘(11) Carrying out such other activities as the Corporation may prohibit.

‘(b) Ineligibility- No assistance provided under this subtitle may be provided to any organization that has violated a Federal criminal statute.

‘(c) Nondisplacement of Employed Workers or Other Volunteers- A participant in an approved national service position under this subtitle may not be directed to perform any services or duties, or to engage in any activities, prohibited under the nonduplication, nondisplacement, or nonsupplantation requirements relating to employees and volunteers in section 177.’.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:08 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,591,512 times
Quote:
The House passed the Generations Invigorating Volunteerism and Education Act yesterday. The bill includes language indicating young people will be forced to participate in mandatory national service programs. The bill also states that "service learning" will be a mandatory part of the youth curriculum.

You do a great disservice to those who suffered at the hands of Hitler and the Nazis when you make such a comparison. It belittles their suffering.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:09 PM

527 posts, read 1,279,835 times
This sounds like fascism to me.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:10 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,209,134 times
Quote:

I forgot in my earlier reply that I was a part of the forced military service known as UMT in the 50s. When I got out of college I couldn't get a teaching job because I owed two years and they were all afraid I would get drafted. My draftboard wasn't drafting though because they had enough volunteers for the draft to go a full six months. I enlisted in the Army rather than wait around 6 months with a menial job.

I really don't remember many people who were so much against the draft that they considered it so totally wrong but I am sure many parents will make THEM come out to drag their kids off to this mandatory service. My youngest son, 24, would have gone to meetings over some people with bullet holes showing. If they can talk kids into taking part, ok, but if a kid doesn't want to go forcing him will turn him against the government even more. This country is not the Germany of 1939 when the people were interested in Germany recovering from something.

This fool law will bounce back on them.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:10 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,634,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
How?

Old 04-23-2009, 03:13 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,278,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
If so, then you clearly have NO IDEA what fascism is.

Ken

Old 04-23-2009, 03:14 PM

13,631 posts, read 20,722,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Order View Post
That's what they told the people that were against Hitler at the time also.

You know, I thought the Left showed their true colors and complete ignorance when they kept insisting, with all due seriousness, that George Bush was somehow worse than Hitler. I cannot imagine the sheer idiocy it takes for someone to even put the two in the same universe. But a fair number did just that and proceeded to defend their statements, which became all the more ludicrous the more they were challenged.

But now you are going down the same path. I skimmed the bill's language. So far, it looks like a big waste of time, effort and money that will produce a few cute photo ops, no doubt during one of Obama's State of the Union speeches. But that's what our government does. And to compare that to Hitler is foolish.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:16 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,835,363 times
I think that all landscaping and household chores should be taken care of by kids. I have no kids, yet am forced to pay for their schooling. it's about time they gave a little bit back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies