Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 06:27 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,929,222 times

Advertisements

If my apartment building is ever on fire, I want them to send the best firefighters, not the ones who had ancestors who were wronged HUNDREDS of years ago. The fire (which hopefully will never happen) will be in the present tense, and the past is the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 11:51 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,424,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The only group penalized by Affirmative Action is a minority (white males).

And Asians.
Last time I checked, Asains were out performing white kids, and then they had to change admission rules for asians. How pathetic was that? I went to a UC school, and those smart asian kids were scoring perfect 1600s on the SATs, kicking everybody's booties, and they had every right to have first choice where they went to school, but unfortunately the admissions departments didnt want their entire freshman classes asian. That wouldn't have been cool to exclude whites, let alone the small number of blacks who (as so many want to point out) aren't qualified to attend those universities anyway. When you compare how many black kids apply to the UC schools and get in here in CA, those numbers weren't that high. When I went to UCLA, out of 28,000 studens, there were only aproximagtely 2400 blacks attending ,and that included Gradutate School. I never understood why people made a big fuss about that low number of black students attending UCLA, especially if we weren't qualified to be there in the first place. I could see if we were about 10,000 strong and all unqualified.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:21 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
As long as young blacks beat other blacks for acting white (carrying school books) they as a group will not preform well in relation to other groups that have worked and studied hard all their lives.
I've never seen anyone beat for carrying schoolbooks. In fact, throughout my school years I went to an 80%+ black school and pretty much walked around with my nose up because of my own arrogance and self worth. So if anyone should have, I should have had the crap kicked out of me. But I and many others were praised for how well we'd do later on in life by most people.

There is resentment against Black people who become successful and are viewed as "selling out"(marrying another race, moving into a neighborhood of mostly another race, etc.) of which I could testify to(even though most of it is simply ribbing. But to say that there is resentment simply for succeeding is daft and shows a remarkable lack of knowledge on the part of the indicter.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:48 PM

93,312 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Outside of seeing the actual test to understand how it could be bias, what was done to those white firemen was discrimination. If the test was recognized as being biased or flawed before it was taken, then they should have gotten rid of it before hand and used one of the others and thats a BIG IF. If one of the blacks have passed the test, would this have been an issue? That town was wrong. period.
My thoughts exactly! Actually, I think everyone that took the test could bring a suit against the city of New Haven for it's incompetentcy in terms of the exam.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I've never seen anyone beat for carrying schoolbooks. In fact, throughout my school years I went to an 80%+ black school and pretty much walked around with my nose up because of my own arrogance and self worth. So if anyone should have, I should have had the crap kicked out of me. But I and many others were praised for how well we'd do later on in life by most people.

There is resentment against Black people who become successful and are viewed as "selling out"(marrying another race, moving into a neighborhood of mostly another race, etc.) of which I could testify to(even though most of it is simply ribbing. But to say that there is resentment simply for succeeding is daft and shows a remarkable lack of knowledge on the part of the indicter.
Ahhh! A very refreshing post that put things into proper perspective on things like that for once. I would give you 10 reps, if I could.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I wonder what was on that test.

Seriously.
Very good question......

Old 04-28-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
As a white male, I should not have to fear being a victim of racism any more than a black male, a white female, a Hispanic female, etc. Period.

Carolinatx26, the past is the PAST. Racism is racism. All white males are NOT evil...why not try and get to know some of us and lose your hatred and bigotry.

That last part sounds like what Black folks have been saying for centuries.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:07 PM

What's interesting is that no one, from the posts I've see so far, has mentioned that Whites still benefit the most from affirmative action due to White women being the largest historically disenfranchised group in the US. Keep in mind tha the number of White women in the US is about as equal as the number of people of color in the US. So, it's almost common sense when you take a step back and look at it.

You also have the angle in terms of people generally marrying within the same racial group and the reality of networking in terms of employment generally in this country. Looking at the latter comment, that could be looked at as a private from of affirmative action, i.e.-the Good Ole' Boy Network. Think about the enrollment of colleges by gender and here's some interesting articles to check out as well:Affirmative Action for Rich, White Kids?

At the elite colleges - dim white kids - The Boston Globe

Focus on Affirmative Action (http://aapf.org/focus/episodes/oct30.php - broken link)

Affirmative Action: Who Benefits?

Just some things to think about in regards to this topic........

Old 04-28-2009, 03:09 PM

Here's a definition and what's also interesting is that veterans get points for tests. So, aren't they benefitting from such practices as well? Affirmative action - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia So, it is something that many, if not most benefit from in various ways.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:18 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I thought the same thing - I grew up in the projects and nobody cared that I had a backpack full of books. Hell I used to supply the whole neighborhood with free pizza through the book-it program pizza hut used to do back in the day. If this does happen, it probably only happens in inner city areas and I'm sure if the kid hadn't been carrying books they would have found another reason to beat him up - like it's Tuesday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies