Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 09:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

So if 1 Hispanic did well, why are they saying it's biased towards "Whites" ?
Did they want 12 Blacks to qualify, 2 Whites and 1 Hispanic ? Did they have their "target" numbers ?

Geeze..everything these days has target number. Colleges are forced to admit students based on race, not grades. Do you know how many of them make it to sophmore year ? You can't get that college degree given to you based on race. Somewhere along the way we forgot about knowledge and qualifying based on what you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 09:25 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How in the heck can a Firefighter test be biased for "white" firefighers ?
A fire is a fire..a victim is a victim.
The article I read on the test indicated that they spend a lot of money for a test that was racially neutral. I'm with you, how can the test be racially skewed, given the topic that is being tested? Perhaps the test was written in proper english rather than "gangsta" slang or ebunics?

Old 04-24-2009, 09:34 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How in the heck can a Firefighter test be biased for "white" firefighers ?
A fire is a fire..a victim is a victim.

Amen to that. For the countless other professions that have already been down this rode the bias usually stems from the language, the way questions were stated, the choice of examples, and things like that.

"I scaled the edifice"
versus
"I climbed up the building"

"The conflagration wasn't nominal"
versus
"The fire was unusual"

Old 04-24-2009, 09:37 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
You'd quit a job for that!!!???? How silly! No MAN is THAT crazy! No man has EVER quit a job because they got a promotion based on the fact that they're male!
My company has insulted me and many of my co-workers...we just smile and keep taking their money....works well.
Please give an example of a racially biased question on the civil service exam.
On SAT's
Iknow where I work and its private sector that women and minorities are held to a lower standard.
For example. To go from Tech 3 to tech 4 you need the following.
Process 4. This is cause and effects of the raw materials from begining to finshed product.
Leadership 4. This is about how to lead a group of people 3 to 7 individuals on a line crew. React to unexpected outages ,plan work activities for 90 days.
Mech 4. This is exactly what it says. Mechanics to an intermediate level.
General knowledge 4. THis is poerhaps the most important. It combines the first 3.
In short you either know the material or you don't. And yet because its felt that because women and minorities are under represented in the higher techs we need to lower the standards for them.
What happens when a line suffers an indepth failure on night shift? Each team has a designed skill balance. 1 tech 5, 1 tech 4, 2 tech 3's and 1 or 2 tech 1's and 2.
What happens when this individual who was held to a lower standard and is unprepared for the event and is in charge? They go get the guy who was passed over for promotion or held back to open a slot, to fix the problem.
This happens every day.
How I react when they come for me. Now I got my promotion and have earned my pay grade. Normally I will try to coach said individual.Provided the individual is actually interested in learning. we know the ones who are and the ones who are not...
If its the later I enjoy watching them fail. No I don't feel bad for them or the company.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:40 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,042,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
You'd quit a job for that!!!???? How silly! No MAN is THAT crazy! No man has EVER quit a job because they got a promotion based on the fact that they're male!
My company has insulted me and many of my co-workers...we just smile and keep taking their money....works well.

I'm her husband.

And I'd wholeheartedly support her position. If I got a promotion based upon things other than my actual skill at the job (be it gender or whatever), then I'd find a new job as well.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:44 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,280 times
Quote:
Toyman at Jewel Lake;8494359]The article I read on the test indicated that they spend a lot of money for a test that was racially neutral. I'm with you, how can the test be racially skewed, given the topic that is being tested? Perhaps the test was written in proper english rather than "gangsta" slang or ebunics?

It was nice to read this thread because people were respectful even if disagreeing with others viewpoints.

Why did you have to inject stupidity, ignorance, and racial streotyping into the thread.

I'm black and don't speak eubonics or gangster slang, insult people you personally know, not people you know nothing about!!!

Old 04-24-2009, 09:47 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
[quote=reconmark;8494646]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [COLOR="Red"
Toyman at Jewel Lake;8494359]The article I read on the test indicated that they spend a lot of money for a test that was racially neutral. I'm with you, how can the test be racially skewed, given the topic that is being tested? Perhaps the test was written in proper english rather than "gangsta" slang or ebunics?[/[/color]QUOTE]

It was nice to read this thread because people were respectful even if disagreeing with others viewpoints.

Why did you have to inject stupidity, ignorance, and racial streotyping into the thread.

I'm black and don't speak eubonics or gangster slang, insult people you personally know, not people you know nothing about!!!
I apologize if I offended you. Can you please explain how a test on the subject matter can be "racially biased" though? I don't know how else the test could be found to be biased.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:51 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
So all white people are evil, rich, selfish and racist and should be removed the earth then everyone will live in harmony and peace.
Once that is completed rainbows will rain skittles and the history of all other races will be ignored.
Yo, Jersey. Lighten up.

I'm arguing that NO people ought to be removed from the earth -- be they black, white brown, red, yellow, or -- in my case -- sky-blue pink with orange polka dots.

And I think that you'd agree.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The article I read on the test indicated that they spend a lot of money for a test that was racially neutral. I'm with you, how can the test be racially skewed, given the topic that is being tested? Perhaps the test was written in proper english rather than "gangsta" slang or ebunics?
That's the excuse they give regarding low SAT scores in High Schools.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:05 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
I'm her husband.

And I'd wholeheartedly support her position. If I got a promotion based upon things other than my actual skill at the job (be it gender or whatever), then I'd find a new job as well.
Oh

That makes two of you.

Odd you find it necesary to say you're her husband...?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies