Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:33 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times

Advertisements

I will not take credit for this question as another poster raised it yesterday, but it is a great question and worthy of a thread.

Wouldn't waterboarding Saddam have extracted the information necessary to find those darn WMD's???????

Unless of course, The Bush Crime Family knew that there was nothing to extract!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 10:45 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I will not take credit for this question as another poster raised it yesterday, but it is a great question and worthy of a thread.

Wouldn't waterboarding Saddam have extracted the information necessary to find those darn WMD's???????

He was not under U.S control,

Old 04-24-2009, 10:56 AM

CIA Will Head Up Interrogation of Saddam Hussein.

December 17, 2003 Dec. 17--WASHINGTON--The Central Intelligence Agency has been chosen to lead what could be a difficult, months-long interrogation of deposed Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said Tuesday, although Hussein will remain under the control of the U.S. military and the military will play a role in his questioning.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-119498465.html (broken link)

Old 04-24-2009, 11:10 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,086 times
A number of possible reasons -

1. They made a calculation that it would antagonize Saddam's Sunni bretheren so it was'nt worth it.

2. They may have felt other methods were more effective. Many of the AQ prisioners are religous zealots and maybe it was felt we had no other way to get the information other them waterboarding, etc where as with Saddam and his meglo-maniacal tendencies he was easier to maniopulate for information.

3. By the time Saddam was captured he may not have had valuable, perishable intel that needed to be immediately extrtacted. Many of the terrorists did.

Your implication that the fact we did not subject Saddam to the same interogation methods as we did AQ shows that those methods are ineffective is false.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
A number of possible reasons -

1. They made a calculation that it would antagonize Saddam's Sunni bretheren so it was'nt worth it.

2. They may have felt other methods were more effective. Many of the AQ prisioners are religous zealots and maybe it was felt we had no other way to get the information other them waterboarding, etc where as with Saddam and his meglo-maniacal tendencies he was easier to maniopulate for information.

3. By the time Saddam was captured he may not have had valuable, perishable intel that needed to be immediately extrtacted. Many of the terrorists did.

Your implication that the fact we did not subject Saddam to the same interogation methods as we did AQ shows that those methods are ineffective is false.
However, the top interrogation experts all say torture that doesn’t work:

Army Field Manual 34-52 Chapter 1 says:

“Experience indicates that the use of force is not necessary to gain the cooperation of sources for interrogation. Therefore, the use of force is a poor technique, as it yields unreliable results, may damage subsequent collection efforts, and can induce the source to say whatever he thinks the interrogator wants to hear.”

A declassified FBI e-mail dated May 10, 2004, regarding interrogation at Guantanamo states “[we] explained to [the Department of Defense], FBI has been successful for many years obtaining confessions via non-confrontational interviewing techniques.” (see also this)
Brigadier General David R. Irvine, retired Army Reserve strategic intelligence officer who taught prisoner interrogation and military law for 18 years with the Sixth Army Intelligence School, says torture doesn’t work.

A former FBI interrogator — who interrogated Al Qaeda suspects — says categorically that torture does not help collect intelligence. On the other hand he says that torture actually turns people into terrorists.

Top Interrogation Experts Agree: Torture Doesn’t Work

AN INTERROGATOR SPEAKS
I'm Still Tortured by What I Saw in Iraq

I'm Still Tortured by What I Saw in Iraq - washingtonpost.com

I think I'll take the experts word on this issue as opposed to yours.

BTW...There were no WMD's!

Old 04-24-2009, 11:27 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
I think we should try it on the Steinbrenner family.

Just keep repeating the phrase "vacant legacy seats" until they crack.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:29 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:

I get it, liberals think waterboarding is torture, but hangings are not

p.s. they found those darn WMD's, they were just no longer of value and not usable, dont let facts though stand in your way of a good rant though..

Old 04-24-2009, 11:31 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I get it, liberals think waterboarding is torture, but hangings are not

p.s. they found those darn WMD's, they were just no longer of value and not usable, dont let facts though stand in your way of a good rant though..

Huh? thats news that not even the Republicans in Washington are aware of. Do you have inside information that even they do not have?

http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/were_there_really_weapons_of_mass_destruction.html (broken link)

Old 04-24-2009, 11:33 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Huh? thats news that not even the Republicans in Washington are aware of. Do you have inside information that even they do not have?
You'll have to torture him to find out.

Hint: he hates champagne.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:38 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,086 times
Quote:
However, the top interrogation experts all say torture that doesn’t work:

Army Field Manual 34-52 Chapter 1 says:

“Experience indicates that the use of force is not necessary to gain the cooperation of sources for interrogation. Therefore, the use of force is a poor technique, as it yields unreliable results, may damage subsequent collection efforts, and can induce the source to say whatever he thinks the interrogator wants to hear.”

A declassified FBI e-mail dated May 10, 2004, regarding interrogation at Guantanamo states “[we] explained to [the Department of Defense], FBI has been successful for many years obtaining confessions via non-confrontational interviewing techniques.” (see also this)
Brigadier General David R. Irvine, retired Army Reserve strategic intelligence officer who taught prisoner interrogation and military law for 18 years with the Sixth Army Intelligence School, says torture doesn’t work.

A former FBI interrogator — who interrogated Al Qaeda suspects — says categorically that torture does not help collect intelligence. On the other hand he says that torture actually turns people into terrorists.

Top Interrogation Experts Agree: Torture Doesn’t Work

AN INTERROGATOR SPEAKS
I'm Still Tortured by What I Saw in Iraq

I'm Still Tortured by What I Saw in Iraq - washingtonpost.com

I think I'll take the experts word on this issue as opposed to yours.

BTW...There were no WMD's!
Yeah...There were no WMD's. And I think we kind of had that one figured out by the time we caught him.

Your OP asks why we did'nt "Torture" Saddam. I gave you three very legitimate calculations as to why it may have been decided not to do so.

Now you change the subject by citing the fact that many top interogation experts believe "torture" does'nt work. Well obviously somebody in the feild believed waterboarding would work or we would'nt have done it to the AQ detainees. I know you'd like to think Bush and Cheney would eat babies for breakfast everyday if they could get away with it, but they did'nt agree to authourize the waterboarding, etc. of the AQ prisoners to get their jollies, they did it because they beleived it was needed get information neccasary to protect the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies