Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 01:22 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times

Advertisements

So here is the deal, both sides like to point out when ever a Quote un quote celebrities speaks out on their side of an issue, usually the other side will point out that they are just an idiot (fill in the blank), and they dont have any credibility. The miss California controversy a recent example. So the question is, when does an actor,musician,or whatever have credibiliy? They do have just as much right to speak their mind as you and I , I would suggest that their opinion should not carry anymore weight than you or I unless, they are educated,involved and active in the particular issue they are speaking of Which brings me to my favorite Uncle!!
YouTube - TEXAS MONTHLY TALKS - TED NUGENT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 01:29 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Is this thread a result of you acknowledging your hatred towards the celebrities (an example)? Or, simply trying to be hypocritical, by defending celebrities if their political views bode well with yours. Which is it?

Old 04-24-2009, 01:30 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Ted Nugent is always good for comedic value. A gung ho supporter of guns and war, when he had a chance to carry one in a war, he ducked out.

And that is why people like Bush and Cheney, who both also ducked out, overcompensate for their shortcomings by sending someone else to do the fighting, and dying.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:30 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
I believe this all started when the right dismissed anything a celebrity had to say but then turn around & start posting threads about things celebrities have said. Which is it guys?

Old 04-24-2009, 01:33 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,347,939 times
Well, credibility comes from a career of building it up. Jolie and Pitt have more crediblity on world poverty issues than Shia LeBouf, but obviously have nothing on Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf.

Honestly, one must take what a Celebrity says with a grain of salt. I do, however, prefer a celebrity that cares about the world to a Paris Hilton/Kim Kardashian type that only cares about their looks and having a good time. These people make a fortune and have millions of moronic fans who will worship them for anything they do. I'd rather see those idiots caring about the World AIDS crisis or the Environment than having all them idolize binge drinking and heroin addiction.

Then again, my favorite celebrities are Neil Degrasse-Tyson and Josh Bernstein.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Is this thread a result of you acknowledging your hatred towards the celebrities (an example)? Or, simply trying to be hypocritical, by defending celebrities if their political views bode well with yours. Which is it?
Hatred? Hatred? I love Jessica Biel, I just assumed that she had more intelligence, there is no Hate involved! Nugent is very active in politics, second amendment issues , law enforcement and animal rights issues! In other words he knows what he is talking about! Lets be clear I am not one that jumps on the band wagon evertime a celebrity says something I agree with, I do think to myself however that they are more thoughtfull and intelligent than the rest though!

Old 04-24-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Hatred? Hatred? I love Jessica Biel, I just assumed that she had more intelligence, there is no Hate involved!
Yeah, keep telling that to yourself.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Yeah, keep telling that to yourself.
I dont get you on the left that equate disagreement with hate! Jessica Biel is HOT!! LOVE HER!! If she were conservative she would be the perfect woman!

Old 04-24-2009, 01:54 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
It depends on the topic. If we were talking about censorship I would love to hear from JK Rowlings, Steven King or any number of authors to understand their point of view. The same would go for the napster business -- hearing from muscians was paramount to that debate.
But I don't care that Sean Penn loves him some Hugo Chavez or that the Dixie Chicks are democrats. I used to love Rosie O'Donnell until she made her shows liberal rah rah sessions and made it clear anyone that didn't agree with her were idiots. It is kinda hard not to take that personally

Old 04-24-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I dont get you on the left that equate disagreement with hate! Jessica Biel is HOT!! LOVE HER!! If she were conservative she would be the perfect woman!
But you challenge her intelligence simply on political ground, while calling out others from not doing the same to your newest wet dream... the loser of the Miss America crown.

You could put this on your resume, and it will be one of the few things that would be accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies