U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 10:43 PM

4,831 posts, read 6,351,289 times

Advertisements

This is what I hoped would happen with my tax dollar. The Dmeocratc hypocrisy is beyond believable.

The key to the airport's gleaming facilities -- and, indeed, its continued existence -- is $200 million in federal funds in the past decade and the powerful patron who steered most of that money to Johnstown. Democratic U.S. Rep. John Murtha is credited with securing at least $150 million for the airport. It was among the first in the country to win funding from this year's stimulus package: $800,000 to repave a backup runway.
The facility, newly renamed the John Murtha Johnstown-Cambria County Airport, is a testament to Mr. Murtha's ability to tap streams of federal money for pricey, state-of-the-art projects that are rare among regional airports of comparable size.

Murtha steers $150 million to 'his' airport in Cambria County

If you would prefer video.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/play...26713&src=news
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 10:47 PM

3,191 posts, read 3,898,350 times
Hannity did a piece on this sham a week ago.
I sure hope that corrupt fossil Murtha is shown the exit door come next election.
He is the walking definition of hubris.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:50 PM

86,068 posts, read 75,482,065 times
Like he's the only one that wedged pet projects into that pork laden stimulus bill ?

Old 04-24-2009, 10:55 PM

3,191 posts, read 3,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Like he's the only one that wedged pet projects into that pork laden stimulus bill ?
yep it was just him

Old 04-24-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That's the problem, they all do it and people just don't care anymore. No wonder we have all the corruption in DC!

Old 04-24-2009, 11:05 PM

20,431 posts, read 23,702,301 times
Yeah, the network news did a piece on this the other night.

Definitely pork by any reasonable definition.
Sadly Murtha is not alone - nor is it only Democrats who've done this.

Ken

Old 04-24-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah, the network news did a piece on this the other night.

Definitely pork by any reasonable definition.
Sadly Murtha is not alone - nor is it only Democrats who've done this.

Ken
Absolutely. I wish more people would think along those lines and cut out the partisan garbage.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:47 PM

86,068 posts, read 75,482,065 times
Well if you recall everyone got to add their favorite piece of pork and then Pelosi said she had to catch a plane so everyone had to vote right away. Some of them admitted they didn't even read the entire bill. Something so expensive and you didn't read it ?

Old 04-24-2009, 11:51 PM

20,431 posts, read 23,702,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Absolutely. I wish more people would think along those lines and cut out the partisan garbage.
Well, I do think that the term "pork" is way overused - and generally has come to mean merely "something that does not benefit YOU (as opposed to benefiting someone else) - and in fact does not always mean worthless spending". However, in this particular case CLEARLY the airport is pure pork in the truest sense (completely worthless spending). The news story stated that there are a mere 3 flights/day and that roughly half the airfare for each passenger is covered by government subsidies.

What really got me though was the upcoming plan to repave the backup runway. Of course my immediate thought was "What the h*ll does a 3 flight a day airport even need with a BACKUP RUNWAY????????"

As I said, by ANY reasonable standard, this project is pure pork. Hopefully the glare of the spotlight will result in the project being canceled and the money spent somewhere where it is truly needed.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies