Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 08:13 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,934,312 times

Advertisements

I think people like Michael Vick who breed pit bulls to be so vicious and fight have no place in a civilized society. I have seen some pit bulls friendlier than chihuahuas and some more vicious than a lion tearing through a gazelle. Once again the issue is uncivilized people, not the animal.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:14 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,802,455 times
I was attacked by a dog once when I was little but I don't want the whole breed annihilated (it was from the pound, mistreated most likely by previous owners). A lot of it is they are so strong naturally and that's why people take advantage of them and train them to fight. It's these people we need to be worried about, not the breed. Hopefully the dog can be counciled out of it but most of the time it's too late and must be put down sadly.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:14 AM

38,608 posts, read 26,228,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mearth View Post
fact: Pit bulls are genetically inclined to bond with people, which is why they are the #1 therapy dogs. Even the most abusive owners and dogfight runners have bred out the trait of human aggression since the beginning of time, because they wanted to be able to manage the dogs without being turned on themselves.

Fact: Only one of michael vick's 50 abused pit bulls had to be put down for aggression. 7 of them became therapy dogs.

I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum who wouldn't have any problem will all bigots being euthanized. But that would be wrong as well, which is why you're still here.

source??????

Old 08-06-2009, 08:17 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,624,193 times
my sister was mauled by a german shepherd as a child (he bit her arm down to the bone without breaking through her snowsuit and several layers of clothing), but i'm not advocating for the elimination of the breed.

and it should be completely obvious that even fighting pit bulls are bred to be non-aggressive towards humans. why would a dog's handlers want it to turn on them when they're handling it in the fighting ring?

pit bulls as therapy dogs - http://www.webvet.com/main/article?id=2026

american pit bull terrier breed standard - http://www.arba.org/AmericanPitBull1BS.htm (broken link)

" Aggressive behavior toward humans is uncharacteristic of the breed and highly undesirable."

note that one of the disqualifying characteristics is viciousness.

of course, when people talk about "pit bulls", they're talking about a huge range of breeds and mixes who all have different temperaments. and the stats are based on that misperception that all dogs who look a certain way are pit bulls. never mind the cases where people mistake dogs who look nothing like a pit for a pit.

vick's pit bulls - http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...econd_pg2.html

Old 08-06-2009, 08:20 AM

awww, that's aweful. I just got dragged around by my ear till they got it off me. I bet that left a scar. I agree though, don't kill the whole breed just because of one bad dog. That's like someone coming down and saying, 'the human race needs to be annihiliated, look how they kill each other...what if they got loose into our part of the universe?'

Old 08-06-2009, 08:21 AM

38,608 posts, read 26,228,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
BOOOOO!!!! My stray dog that I took in is part pit and is nothing but a slobber monster. You could tug her tail off and she'd kiss you, (unfortunately she thinks she's a lap dog though). I don't mind people that are afraid of her though just because how she looks, if you don't know my dog I don't want you on my property anyways, as so many people around here feel entitled to trespass, I think she's a great addition to the family.

She might do some sutraction from your family too. Be sure to get back to us when you have one of the "never did that before" stories.

The people in Eastpoint had a family dog that would slobber you to death also.

There are lots of other stories about family pit bulls that turn on their owners without warning.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:25 AM

I think I'm more likely to be turned on by another human being than a dog; risk I'm willing to take for the joy and love she brings to my life...plus she makes a great scarecrow. I see where your coming from, when I opened the door and there she was I screamed and closed it fast and ran and got my husband lol, but once you get to know her....she's wonderful!

Old 08-06-2009, 08:26 AM

Now my puggle, she has turned on me....mean little dog but I still love her.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:28 AM

189 posts, read 334,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Is your argument that since one dog breed will always be the worse, banning pit bulls will be futile since another less dangerous breed will then be number one?
Yes. Once pit bulls are gone, there will be another dog that people are afraid of. Another breed will now top the list.

OWNERS are responsible for the actions of their dogs. Period. There are no "bad dogs" there are only bad owners.

The innocent should not suffer because of the guilty. This not only includes people harmed by dogs of irresponsible owners, but responsible owners who know how to control their dogs.

Also, because of my political philosophy, I also oppose ALL infringements of government on the property rights of citizens. This includes their choice of animals.

As I said in an earlier post, moral crusaders who want to control the lives of others are FAR more dangerous than any dog.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:28 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,624,193 times
it's funny how momonkey is skipping most of my posts. i wonder why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies