Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 08:32 AM

38,600 posts, read 26,206,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
the "less dangerous breeds" will become more dangerous, because the dog fighters/irresponsible owners will move on to those breeds and start overbreeding and abusing them. it's not just a matter of #2 becoming #1 because #1 is eliminated. the EXACT SAME PROBLEM will ensue with whatever breed bad people move on to. and we'll be hearing about the chow chow's supernatural powers or whatever. unless the pattern is broken, virtually all large breed dogs will be banned.

i have a question for you - did you follow the link a few pages back showing all of the breeds that are mistaken for pit bulls? could you spot the pit bull in the photos? and those were all purebreds. most "pit bulls" are mutts comprised of combinations of any of those breeds.

how about the guy in ohio who had to move rather than lose his BOXER because of his town's pit bull ban? they were going to put down a perfectly friendly boxer because he couldn't prove it wasn't a pit. the dog was tased because police thought he was a pit. that is what people who live in bsl areas who own *any* kind of muscular, short-coated dog with a big head have to look forward to.
What makes you think you posted something a hundred other pit bull defenders didn't?

Not my dog.

Nothing different about this breed.

Not really pit bulls.

It's the way they are treated.

The infant did something to make the pit bull kill it.

"the dog was tased because police thought he was a pit"

Sure about that?

Would you have gotten out of the car and approached that dog?

You do understand that the police are responsible for the safety of the community right?

Old 08-06-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
I think people like Michael Vick who breed pit bulls to be so vicious and fight have no place in a civilized society. I have seen some pit bulls friendlier than chihuahuas and some more vicious than a lion tearing through a gazelle. Once again the issue is uncivilized people, not the animal.

Can't ban retarded people.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:38 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,801,657 times
Many people see animals as an addition to the family. Try to see where people are coming from, would you make such a generalization about a group of people or the human race in general? I think/hope not.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
I was attacked by a dog once when I was little but I don't want the whole breed annihilated (it was from the pound, mistreated most likely by previous owners). A lot of it is they are so strong naturally and that's why people take advantage of them and train them to fight. It's these people we need to be worried about, not the breed. Hopefully the dog can be counciled out of it but most of the time it's too late and must be put down sadly.
OK, so how do we prevent future attacks on children and the elderly who are attacked and killed by pit bulls?

Old 08-06-2009, 08:47 AM

We have preventative measures in place currently, leash laws and such and it is illegal to train a dog to fight. For all the laws we make though, there's still people that are going to break them. If a dog does attack I think it is professionally evaluated and then it is determined whether or not the dog needs to be put down or is not suitable to be rehomed and stays with an organization. Nobody wants anything/anyone to attack another person. I just feel that you are generalizing to much...I mean any breed is capable of attacking, it just happens more with pitbulls possibly once again due to their strength and size they are taken advantage of more. Look at the factors behind groups of people that kill people more, there is always something perpetuating behind the stats. So yes, I would say stronger enforcement of the laws... educating our children more on not approaching a dog without permission...maybe we could ban people who do train a dog to fight from ever having a dog again, that would be a good idea.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
my sister was mauled by a german shepherd as a child (he bit her arm down to the bone without breaking through her snowsuit and several layers of clothing), but i'm not advocating for the elimination of the breed.

and it should be completely obvious that even fighting pit bulls are bred to be non-aggressive towards humans. why would a dog's handlers want it to turn on them when they're handling it in the fighting ring?

pit bulls as therapy dogs - Pit bulls, therapy dogs, vet-approved pet health information - WebVet

american pit bull terrier breed standard - American Pit Bull Terrier* Breed Standard (http://www.arba.org/AmericanPitBull1BS.htm - broken link)

" Aggressive behavior toward humans is uncharacteristic of the breed and highly undesirable."

note that one of the disqualifying characteristics is viciousness.

of course, when people talk about "pit bulls", they're talking about a huge range of breeds and mixes who all have different temperaments. and the stats are based on that misperception that all dogs who look a certain way are pit bulls. never mind the cases where people mistake dogs who look nothing like a pit for a pit.

vick's pit bulls - Michael Vick's Pit Bulls Given Second Chance, Page 2 of 2 - Associated Content
Other dogs also attack.

Not my dog.

They're gentle family dogs.

People don't recognise true pit bulls.

Only mistreated pit bulls attack children.

Bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla,....

Old 08-06-2009, 08:49 AM

If you really want your ideas taken seriously, 'blah blah blah' is not the way to go, I was appreciative of your concerns before but now I think you just want to degrade others who are offering insight into their personal experiences and views.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:57 AM

189 posts, read 334,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Other dogs also attack.

Not my dog.

They're gentle family dogs.

People don't recognise true pit bulls.

Only mistreated pit bulls attack children.

Bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla,....
Bla bla blah... Excellent argument! You refuted all those things you listed with a mere three letters!

Well, then, you who would dictate what others can or cannot do based on YOUR fears... I shall "refute" you with a mere four letters.

FOAD

Old 08-06-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klapton View Post
Yes. Once pit bulls are gone, there will be another dog that people are afraid of. Another breed will now top the list.

OWNERS are responsible for the actions of their dogs. Period. There are no "bad dogs" there are only bad owners.

The innocent should not suffer because of the guilty. This not only includes people harmed by dogs of irresponsible owners, but responsible owners who know how to control their dogs.

Also, because of my political philosophy, I also oppose ALL infringements of government on the property rights of citizens. This includes their choice of animals.

As I said in an earlier post, moral crusaders who want to control the lives of others are FAR more dangerous than any dog.

Well, then you want it both ways.

You want to free to own a pit bull, but then so will everyone else.

How would you prevent the irresponsible people from owning these dogs so as to prevent attacks on the innocent?

I can't own a leopard because it is a danger to the public. What's the difference?

Old 08-06-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klapton View Post
Bla bla blah... Excellent argument! You refuted all those things you listed with a mere three letters!

Well, then, you who would dictate what others can or cannot do based on YOUR fears... I shall "refute" you with a mere four letters.

FOAD

I'm so sorry. Did I take away your best arguments?

My fears?

I'm not the punk hiding behind a dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.