Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 08:07 AM

38,645 posts, read 26,356,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
I think I'm more likely to be turned on by another human being than a dog; risk I'm willing to take for the joy and love she brings to my life...plus she makes a great scarecrow. I see where your coming from, when I opened the door and there she was I screamed and closed it fast and ran and got my husband lol, but once you get to know her....she's wonderful!

So why did the previous owners put her out?

Old 08-06-2009, 08:14 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,808,317 times
She was a stray, it was so sad, she had a huge cancer lump on her back that was left untreated and she was pregnant...how would I know why people are cruel to their dogs? I don't know...didn't have enough money to support the dog? It got loose? Didn't care? Who knows....she has a great home now though and if she dies from the cancer if it comes back at least I know she's lived well here.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:15 AM

38,645 posts, read 26,356,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
why did my dog (terrier/schnauzer/pointer/??? mix?) end up in the pound? because her owners were irresponsible and couldn't be bothered to find a place that took dogs when they moved.

my local pound carefully temperament tests all dogs before putting them up for adoption. yet the adoption floor is usually 90% pits. hmmm. why are all of these pits passing temperament tests with flying colors? why hasn't the pound started euthing pits on sight due to lawsuits stemming from dogs they adopted out (thousands every year) mauling and killing people?

you see a lot of pits in the pound because they're popular with irresponsible owners, and popular period. and because a lot of people won't take them due to an unfair stigma on the breed (and also because they are large, and a very energetic breed that takes a lot of training to keep in line).

if pit bulls are so much more dangerous than other dogs, why is it that dobermans and german shepherds had, and lost, the same stigma? and those dogs at least have a history of being bred to be aggressive towards humans.

A single doberman cannot kill me on most days. Neither can a german shepard. A pit bull is different.

Can you name a city tha has banned dobermans or german shepards?

As for the temperament test, it isn't what they don't do 99% of the time. It is what they do 1% of the time.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:28 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,061,312 times
I thought this was a thread about Ann Coulter.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:33 AM

189 posts, read 335,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Well, then you want it both ways.

You want to free to own a pit bull, but then so will everyone else.

How would you prevent the irresponsible people from owning these dogs so as to prevent attacks on the innocent?

I can't own a leopard because it is a danger to the public. What's the difference?
You don't PREVENT people from doing anything. This requires omniscience. You hold people responsible for what they actually DO. You SHOULD be able to own a leopard. I will laugh at you when it eats you, of course. But if you want to be that stupid, it is none of my business. If or when your leopard comes after me, I will shoot it, and you will no longer own a leopard.

I do not need your stupid laws to protect myself or my family. I am responsible for protecting them. You are responsible to protect yours.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
I'm so sorry. Did I take away your best arguments?

My fears?

I'm not the punk hiding behind a dog.
I don't even own a dog. But I am also not afraid of dogs. ANY dog.

You want to infringe on the rights of others because you are SKEEEERD the mean doggie is going to hurt someone!1!!

Old 08-06-2009, 08:54 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,666,312 times
Quote:
What makes you think you posted something a hundred other pit bull defenders didn't?

Not my dog.
i didn't say this. i don't own a pit.

Quote:
Not really pit bulls.
you have never responded to this. how do you account for the fact that dozens of breeds and countless mixes are routinely mistaken for pit bulls? could YOU pick out the pit bull in those pictures? so what does that say about your stats? just because someone said the dog that bit them was a pit doesn't mean it was.

Quote:
The infant did something to make the pit bull kill it.
i didn't say this either. i also said lots of things that you didn't address, like your ridiculous misinterpretation of what people mean when they say that another breed will replace pits if they were to vanish from the earth tomorrow.

Quote:
"the dog was tased because police thought he was a pit"

Sure about that?

Would you have gotten out of the car and approached that dog?
yes, i am sure about that, because the police said that's why they tased him. the owner has to move out of his town because they STILL say that the boxer is a pit and he can't prove otherwise.

and yes, i would approach a dog whose tail is wagging who happens to be barking. there was absolutely nothing aggressive in that dog's body language.

and there certainly was nothing aggressive in the dog's body language when he was lying on the ground, twitching, and they tased him again.

Last edited by groar; 08-06-2009 at 09:23 AM..

Old 08-06-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
So why did the previous owners put her out?
why did the owners of my dog put her out?

Old 08-06-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
A single doberman cannot kill me on most days. Neither can a german shepard. A pit bull is different.
the german shepherd that bit my sister would have bitten her arm off if she hadn't been wearing a snowsuit and many layers of clothes. i don't blame the breed - i don't even blame the dog. the dog was abused.

Quote:
Can you name a city tha has banned dobermans or german shepards?
dobermans are banned in pilot grove, missouri.

"Under Ordinance No. 42 these dogs are prohibited in the town: pit bull breeds, chinesischer kampfhunds (shar-peis), Dobermans, chows, and rottweilers. "

Caraway, Arkansas banned dobermans as well:

Breed-Specific Bans Spark Constitutional Dogfight

that article also refers to 200 bsl laws nationwide that target "Akitas, chow chows, Dalmatians, Dobermans, German Shepherds, Great Danes, pit bulls, Rottweilers as well as mixes of these breeds."

by the way, while i was looking for that, i found this:

Miami-Dade County: Two decades of BSL has produced no positive results | Animal Law Coalition

cue "not my dog, bla bla bla"

Last edited by groar; 08-06-2009 at 09:46 AM..

Old 08-06-2009, 09:13 AM

Don't bother with facts or logic...

She's SKEEEEERRRD!!!

But... the CHIIIIIILLLLDRENNN!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.