Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 10:45 AM

189 posts, read 335,255 times

Advertisements

Anyone who passes a "law" to make any of my possessions magically "illegal" - whether it's my dog, rooster, car, toaster, pocket knife, or firearm - and comes to my home to enforce their new "law" ...

My dog will be the least of their worries.

If there is no victim, there is no crime. Banning ALL pit bulls because SOME have done harm makes as much sense as locking up all Muslims because a handful of them are terrorists. Some people actually believe that sort of thing!

Those of us with rational minds and the ability to see both dogs and people as INDIVIDUALS rather than a stereotype oppose such things.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:36 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,605,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Missing the point. Children deserve to live. In my world that trumps everything else. Sometimes children have retarded parents who decide that pit bulls and children are a good mix. Sometimes pit bulls get loose, and sometimes a family dog attacks a child (Trever) without warning. Trever is fortunate that adults were present to stop the attack.

Why do you think pit bulls end up in the pound?
Yep. And sometimes children have retarded parents who tie them to a plastic toilet seat and leave them in the closet for many years. We also have crazy parents who kill their children because 'god' told them too. There are crazies everywhere. ANY DOG and children are not a good mix unless heavily supervised. Children simply do not know how to act around animals so it's up to the parents to make sure nothing bad happens.

Without warning? I can almost guarantee there were warnings. The owners just didn't know how to read a dog's body language.

Why do I think pit bulls end up in the pound? There are many reasons, and they differ with where you live. The fact is, that many dogs look like pit bulls, which is why it seems like there are more of them. Mixed breeds are often identified as 'pit mixes', even if they aren't. It's extremely difficult to find a house/apartment that will accept pets at all, and most have a large animal ban (anything over 25 lbs) AND will not accept 'aggressive' breeds such as pit bulls, rottweilers, chows, dobermans, boxers, bulldogs etc etc. for liability reasons. So, when people have to move, they dump their dogs.

It's sad, but true.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:30 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,652,438 times
I rescued hundreds out of a kill shelter for many years and one was always sweeter than the other and just about 100 percent of them all came from a living hell place and were severely abused! This breed deserves a second, third, forth etc. chance at life! They get such an unfair bad rap!

Remember people, for every pit bull attack on a person there are 100's of other dog breed attacks. There is no breed of puppy that is born to harm any human adult, child or other dog. The puppy that grows up and harms a human or another dog is due to abuse and a total lack of socialization by the owner. Most of these dogs that attack are abused and on a chain 24/7 with no human contact except to be handed some food and water, if that! (But the news media never reports that!) These kind of people should never own a dog in the first place! One more thing, pitbulls are people and kid friendly! They can have aggression issues with other dogs. If they do, it would be due to a complete lack of socialization since a pup! Not because it is a pitbull.
Some other breeds that can be dog and also people aggressive are Chows, Akitas, German Shephards, and Dobermans. One who owns any of these breeds needs to be a responsible owner and raise there pup with lots of love and socialization, especially a pitbull since they are huge people lover dogs! This breed needs human contact, since all they want to do is please their owners!

Please note
: When the news media gets their hands on a pitbull attack story you never get the real full story and background of the dog or should I say, the owner! Last of all, it is never the dogs fault!

Punish the Deed, not the Breed!

Any dog in the wrong hands can be taught bad behavior, they are not born with it!

Old 08-06-2009, 02:10 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,451,678 times
my wife and i are dogsitting for my parents for a few days while my mom travels out to missouri to attend my brother's graduation from army boot camp and my dad recovers from his kidney surgery (donated one of them to my cousin yesterday). so now we have two dogs in the house.

their dog is an old, purebred border collie, the one that i grew up with since i was 16. he is almost completely deaf, has lost much of his eyesight, has joint problems, skin problems, does not eat consistently, and is in other ways, shapes, and forms getting on in years.

my dog is a rambunctious mixed breed (pit bull/boxer/hound; probably catahoula leopard hound), and is probably less than three years old, though we don't know for sure since we adopted her at a shelter. she is completely submissive to the old border collie, and follows him everywhere when they are together. despite his years and diminished energy, he is still top dog in our extended family (my brother's dog also treats him as pack alpha when they are together).

this morning we had a neighbor stop by to meet our new baby. she brought her one-year old son and her three-year old (almost four) daughter with her. as soon as i heard kids in the house, i came in to control the interaction between the kids and the dogs. this is important because very few people even realize that controlling this kind of interaction is necessary, and fewer realize that it can be the deciding factor between a good day and another news story. to me, that is a big deal.

the one-year old was not an issue, since his mom was holding him the entire time, but the three-year old decided to do what all three-year old children like to do–that is, she began poking, prodding, pulling, and hitting the border collie. her mom was oblivious to how bad an idea this is, though they have a large black lab that easily outweighs either my parents' collie or my pit mix. border collies rank higher on the annoyance-from-children meter, and are known to be human aggressive especially around children; they are herding dogs, and when humans (usually kids) do not act as they instinctively see as appropriate, the dogs tend to assert their herding nature.

i immediately stopped the little girl from prodding the old dog. i was worried especially because of the fact that he is deaf, near-blind, and otherwise incapacitated. i did not expect him to bite, but i never leave that to chance.

laddie behaved marvelously. he has been used to crowds and kids for his entire adult life, and has only a few times shown any aggression. in this instance, he merely tried to move away from the girl's intrusions.

the girl immediately went for the pit mix and started doing the same thing. matsi also reacted well; she didn't even get up and move, though she did pull her head away from the girl when she started whacking the dog on the nose. again, i stopped the girl immediately, and was calmly petting my dog in order to let her know that everything was ok.

then i told the girl that she should not pet animals like that (because in her mind, she was petting the dogs–by gouging them in the face, pulling their fur, etc), and i showed her how to approach dogs that are not familiar with her, and showed her how to pet dogs: softely, calmly, never on the face, legs, tail, or belly.

she seemed confused and then told me that this was not the way that they pet dogs at her house. she then proceeded to make another attempt at gouging, whacking, and pulling, and told me that this was how they pet dogs at her house. i told her that at my house, she could not pet the dog like that.

the whole time, the mom had not noticed a thing. she was not even aware that her daughter had been abusing my dogs; the new baby was what her attention was focused on. i know this woman, and she is a good mother and a good person–the whole family is an awesome example of fine, responsible citizens. they are probably loving pet owners as well; their lab seems happy, seems healthy; they feed him, walk him, play with him, but there is so much more to dog ownership than that.

her actions and the habits of her children show that she does not understand dog psychology or human-canine interaction. this is the kind of ignorant mentality (and i use this term not as an insult to her or anyone else, but to illustrate that these people do not know what they are doing) that fosters and cultivates dog attacks. it is this kind of human-canine interaction that causes dog attacks, and not just in pit bulls and rottweilers, but in *every* breed of dog that lives among humans.

in the end, they left without an incident. no dog growls. no hackles raised. no fingers nipped. no children mauled. not by the border collie, and not by the pit mix. even had i not gone upstairs as soon as i knew that they were here, most likely nothing would have happened. dogs, pits included, live constantly with humans in more abusive situations than this little girl provided and yet never attack.

but as i said earlier, i do not leave that to chance. in the little bit that i have learned in my years of serious study about dog psychology, i have come to learn that i am the one that controls whether my dog has an incident or not; i set the environment and the rules within which my dog exists; and i cannot leave this to chance and to the natural instincts of a dog to judge, not even a sweet black lab or a calm border collie. in the end, they are all predatory, aggressive animals; they are all just a mix of different wolf subspecies, from the largest and fiercest, to the smallest and cutest.

aaron out.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:01 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,652,438 times
Great post Stycotl!
Every dog owner should be as responsible as you are!

Old 08-06-2009, 04:46 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,026,796 times
Watch out Monmonkey and all you Pitbull haters, I told my boys you don't like Pitbulls and they want to meet you.
Attached Thumbnails
Pit Bulls Have No Place In A Civilized Society!-img_0624.jpg  

Old 08-07-2009, 12:45 AM

1,629 posts, read 3,475,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
Pits have highest rate of attack.
According to what SOURCE? None that I've seen!

Old 08-07-2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Pit bulls should be banned along with other biting breeds.
There is no such thing.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley_man View Post
I guess i'm a punk hiding behind my pit bull that is a therapy dog at El Camino hospital. I trained him to be a therapy dog so I could look tough walking through the hospital with my certified therapy pit bull dog.
And Pit bull breeds make the BEST therapy dogs because of 1) The fact that they don't startle easily, and 2) Their inherent ability to bond with PEOPLE.

Congrats on the therapy dog status!

Old 08-07-2009, 12:53 AM

30 posts, read 74,561 times
MOST people say that it has nothing to do with the dog but the owner, BLAH, BLAH , BLAH. Now do not get me wrong I LOVE animals LOVE dogs but to me the breed is like a tiger (which I love ) One day it will get mad and possible hurt someone that is what the BREED is made to do just like a Dachsund is made to be long, A yorkie is made to be small. YES all animals have different personalities. My neighbors have one, it is cute and playful but I will not go near it without them near. I just feel that no matter what the breed if it is an aggressive breed it needs to be with people that understand the breed and know how to take care of it. Same with any animal if you don't understand it don't get it! NOW to go so far as to say they have no place in a CIVILIZED SOCIETY is going way to far. HECK in my opion we are sooo far from being truly civiliezed with drugs, crime, gangs and well forums where people attack other people lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.