Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 12:56 AM

1,629 posts, read 3,475,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley_man View Post
And my pit bull got a chunk of his nose taken out by a border collie at a dog park. My uncle's LAB tore apart my cousins face, and he had to have reconstructive plastic surgery. SO yeah I guess LABS always make great pets don't they.
Also - My "pit bull" was bitten on the nose by my brother's ferret - and she didn't even retaliate.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeow View Post
MOST people say that it has nothing to do with the dog but the owner, BLAH, BLAH , BLAH. Now do not get me wrong I LOVE animals LOVE dogs but to me the breed is like a tiger (which I love ) One day it will get mad and possible hurt someone that is what the BREED is made to do just like a Dachsund is made to be long, A yorkie is made to be small. YES all animals have different personalities. My neighbors have one, it is cute and playful but I will not go near it without them near. I just feel that no matter what the breed if it is an aggressive breed it needs to be with people that understand the breed and know how to take care of it. Same with any animal if you don't understand it don't get it! NOW to go so far as to say they have no place in a CIVILIZED SOCIETY is going way to far. HECK in my opion we are sooo far from being truly civiliezed with drugs, crime, gangs and well forums where people attack other people lol

Small dogs are more vicious than large dogs.
1) They are more fearful
2) Their owners are less likely to give them proper training

You're right, every dog needs an owner that understands the needs of that particular breed.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
Look up the most fear and dangerous dogs....
Hey look what comes up, Pits number s1 on all list!
Also most doggie day care's won't accept them.
Yes i have read all documents from the original post.
That is blatantly untrue. Survey doggie daycares, and the trainers there will report an affinity for the bully breeds, because they are so sweet.

I just interviewed one this evening, at a community event.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
If pit bulls are responsible for more serious attacks and deaths than any other breed by a large margin (as is the case), why would banning them not reduce that number?
Do your research. Your statement is factually, outrageously, incorrect.

Quote:
If you have stats that contradict those, I would love to see them.

MULTIPLE people have provided you with statistics, but you have IGNORED all of them.

Enjoy your denial and naivete.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:15 AM

Quote:
source??????
No problem:
What happened to Michael Vick's dogs... - SI.com - Magazine

Old 08-07-2009, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Other dogs also attack.

Not my dog.

They're gentle family dogs.

People don't recognise true pit bulls.

Only mistreated pit bulls attack children.

Bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla,....
Just like an extremist conspiracy theorist to ignore the facts

Old 08-07-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
A single doberman cannot kill me on most days. Neither can a german shepard.
Are you kidding? Of course they could!

Moderator cut: going a bit too far here...

Last edited by katzenfreund; 08-07-2009 at 11:05 AM..

Old 08-07-2009, 12:10 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,451,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
Look up the most fear and dangerous dogs....
Hey look what comes up, Pits number s1 on all list!
Also most doggie day care's won't accept them.
Yes i have read all documents from the original post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
That is blatantly untrue. Survey doggie daycares, and the trainers there will report an affinity for the bully breeds, because they are so sweet.

I just interviewed one this evening, at a community event.
i do find it interesting that an overwhelming majority of experts are on our side here. those that know (scientists, behaviorists, animal control, groomers, trainers, etc) seem to support the breed; it is generally the laymen that fall into momonkey's self-imposed ignorance and hysterics.

but that is the pattern throughout history, is it not? the general public throws salt over the shoulder, cringes at black cats, falls for internet banking scams, believes that pit bulls have locking jaws, entertains themselves with gossip about brit'nee spears and j-lo (generally from sources like jerry springer, judge judy, etc), and doesn't want to be saved from their own ignorance.

wellness is basing his/her opinion off of popular beliefs, rather than science or even common sense.

pit bulls are the most feared, most uninsurable, most despised, therefore we should shun them? with humanity's track record for despising, fearing, and scapegoating things, i don't put too much stock in popular opinion.

using that that "logic," we should still hate blacks, strange women should be burned at the stake, scientists should be considered heretical, and fruit flies should be born of rotten fruit.

make sense to anyone else?

Old 08-07-2009, 05:13 PM

2 posts, read 6,830 times
ANY dog can become aggressive, I worked at a pet boarding/grooming keenel and the most aggressive dog there was a LABRADOR. we had beyond sweet pitbulls and pitbull mixes come in. Never once was there a vicious one. I also own a pit/lab mix and she loves little kids, little dogs, and everyone. Every single pitbull I have ever met was sweet and loving. It all is in the dicipline as you raise it. Let it nip or mouth when it is little, it is more likely to turn on you. abuse it, it will turn on you. ANY dog would do that. and for your information, the majority of all of the aggressive dogs in the world are all SMALL DOGS like toy poodles, chiuahuahs, yorkies, and other small dogs. but because they are little no one ever gives a crap, its always the big ones that get news, If a golden retriever or a lab were to kill or seriously hurt someone, they would say (oh, the training was bad, it was abused) when with pits... its the breed... Honestly, people that blame the breed make me sick

Old 08-08-2009, 12:22 AM

1,067 posts, read 2,976,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
i do find it interesting that an overwhelming majority of experts are on our side here. those that know (scientists, behaviorists, animal control, groomers, trainers, etc) seem to support the breed; it is generally the laymen that fall into momonkey's self-imposed ignorance and hysterics.

but that is the pattern throughout history, is it not? the general public throws salt over the shoulder, cringes at black cats, falls for internet banking scams, believes that pit bulls have locking jaws, entertains themselves with gossip about brit'nee spears and j-lo (generally from sources like jerry springer, judge judy, etc), and doesn't want to be saved from their own ignorance.

wellness is basing his/her opinion off of popular beliefs, rather than science or even common sense.

pit bulls are the most feared, most uninsurable, most despised, therefore we should shun them? with humanity's track record for despising, fearing, and scapegoating things, i don't put too much stock in popular opinion.

using that that "logic," we should still hate blacks, strange women should be burned at the stake, scientists should be considered heretical, and fruit flies should be born of rotten fruit.

make sense to anyone else?
Pretty much... prejudice is as age-old and perpetual as fear itself. The key is to always have people who fight it; and when that fails, people who ensure its reign is brief.

A world without travesties would be paradise, but a world that seeks the comfort of paradise by annihilating any innocent being (thanks to scapegoated travesties) is a travesty in itself.

And yes, people can fabricate and scrounge for "experts" all they want... the expert verdict is in, and has been in for some time. Studies full of confounds (i.e., unaccounted significant variables) have never been conclusive. Read the full conclusions in any of those studies, and they admit it themselves in order to pass the peer review.

Statistics is a language of possibility, not absolutes. Really, some should stop ferreting out and quoting whatever is convenient, and instead read beyond the synopsis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.