Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2009, 01:03 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,302,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
i do find it interesting that an overwhelming majority of experts are on our side here. those that know (scientists, behaviorists, animal control, groomers, trainers, etc) seem to support the breed; it is generally the laymen that fall into momonkey's self-imposed ignorance and hysterics.

but that is the pattern throughout history, is it not? the general public throws salt over the shoulder, cringes at black cats, falls for internet banking scams, believes that pit bulls have locking jaws, entertains themselves with gossip about brit'nee spears and j-lo (generally from sources like jerry springer, judge judy, etc), and doesn't want to be saved from their own ignorance.

wellness is basing his/her opinion off of popular beliefs, rather than science or even common sense.

pit bulls are the most feared, most uninsurable, most despised, therefore we should shun them? with humanity's track record for despising, fearing, and scapegoating things, i don't put too much stock in popular opinion.

using that that "logic," we should still hate blacks, strange women should be burned at the stake, scientists should be considered heretical, and fruit flies should be born of rotten fruit.

make sense to anyone else?
I am not basing my opinions off popular belief.
You sounds like a liberal!
Look, Look, Look, research and you will find pits are not liked by most for several reasons. You can easliy make a pit mean within days

Old 08-08-2009, 01:09 AM
YAZ

7,701 posts, read 14,067,179 times
Poodles are weird.

People that own poodles are more weird.

Giant poodles are OK.

Beagles are cool.

Pomeranians suck, except the one that lives in our house.

This post is as silly as most other comments on this thread.

Except for now.....

Give me a pitbull, doberman, rottweiller, et al.

The dog that is raised in my house will be the most loving, caring dog that you'll ever let lick yer face.

Chiahuahuas still freak me out.

Word has it that they used to be REAL big....they were bred to be small.

Can y'all imagine a big 'ole yap yap dog that bites?

Yikes.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:16 AM
YAZ

7,701 posts, read 14,067,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
I am not basing my opinions off popular belief.
You sounds like a liberal!
Look, Look, Look, research and you will find pits are not liked by most for several reasons. You can easliy make a pit mean within days

Ya know, it's kinda funny.

Dobies have their tails and ears cropped and oh.....they're so mean.

Most folks have never seen a doberman without the traditional cropping.

Just a plain 'ole hound dog....

Just like most folks don't even know what a "pitbull" is.....

What was that dog's name in the 'Lil Rascals?

Now....THAT's a pitbull.

Hardly a menace to society.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:37 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,302,480 times
I can't get through to anyone here and feel out numbered...
Anyways Pits are the least of our worries.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:01 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,026,666 times
Quote:
See now you are starting to wake up, Pit Bulls are the least of our worries, it's the idiot owners. I knew there was hope for you.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:44 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,660,838 times
i like how people on both sides are trying to make this political. "you sound like a liberal"? i see people from both sides of the fence arguing both sides here. this isn't a political issue. it's a matter of believing fact over myth or vice versa.

wellness, i would recommend that you read the entire "dog bites" section on this site:

Dog Bites | National Canine Research Council

you will learn why trying to compile a list of dog bites by breed is futile, and real life examples of how pit bull attacks are sensationalized and over-reported by the media.

and here is a slew of documents showing that breed bans did nothing to reduce dog bites:

http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil...es/breed-bans/

Last edited by groar; 08-08-2009 at 09:18 AM..

Old 08-08-2009, 09:20 AM

1,067 posts, read 2,976,590 times
Quote:
Wellness, I don't know how to say this without you misconstruing it as an insult, but I really tried to give you the benefit of the doubt. I'm going to continue trying, because if you take what I say as a lesson learned, you'll have a much more enjoyable experience on these forums.

You've got just as much a right as anyone else to speak your mind. You just really need to keep in mind that you're entering what is already a very emotional arena. If you needlessly state unrelated assumptions about people and take a condescending tone, people are not going to take to you very kindly.

You can state your related thoughts on pitbulls, but please do review the CDF rules again. If you address people as "kiddo", point out peoples' supposed ideology like it's actually relevant to the discussion, throw in condescending remarks and fighting words, and make premature statements about peoples' credibility, you need to keep a thick skin for the response you're going to get from people who aren't all that happy with such callous and presumptuous treatment.

For example, if I told you that wanting to legally ban a breed made you sound like a "populist", wouldn't you have to wonder who really cares and who I think I am to draw an entire ideological ascription from one opinion?

Old 08-08-2009, 02:26 PM

409 posts, read 1,458,832 times
Ontario banned Pit Bulls and Staffordshires. I think it worked out pretty well.

CBC News Indepth: Dogs

Old 08-08-2009, 02:45 PM

106 posts, read 159,002 times
Just to add another 2 cents to the discussion...

I was once a major critic of pitbulls and their owners, and a firm believer that pits should not be bred. That was due to propaganda, or more to the point, my stupidity for buying into it.

Now reality has set in. I'm a proud "grandma" of two of these amazing dogs. They are smart, loving, protective creatures who live and play peacefully as a part of a family with 4 small children.

As someone else here said, or perhaps I'm paraphrasing, there are a lot of humans who I distrust far more than I do those sweet dogs, especially around children!

Those who make the points about how the process of demonization works are on the money. Anyone can make anyone else out to seem like a devil, as long as those listening don't care about the facts. I never thought about it before, but it does make sense that the inflammatory propaganda against certain dog breeds is only the precursor to the tearing down of certain fellow citizens on similarly dubious grounds. Just practice for the social engineers to rile up the mobs, of course!

People can be far more dangerous than dogs, as history shows us.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:35 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,660,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Derf View Post
Ontario banned Pit Bulls and Staffordshires. I think it worked out pretty well.

CBC News Indepth: Dogs
really. have the numbers of dog bites gone down? evidence shows that in other areas that have had bsl for longer, they have not (see my last post).

interesting quote from the article you linked to: " Italy started with a banned list of 13 breeds. They're up to over 40 now. They just banned Welsh Corgis!"

that was 3 years ago. italy just repealed their breed bans a few months ago:

"This is a historic day because we have established for the first time the responsibility of the owner or person who is momentarily in charge of the animal," said Health Undersecretary Francesca Martini. "The measures adopted in the previous laws had no scientific foundation. Dangerous breeds do not exist. With this law we have overcome the black list, which was just a fig leaf over the larger problem."

http://www.lifeinitaly.com/node/4229 (broken link)

a friend of mine has a sweet pit whose owners had to give her up because they live in ontario. if she hadn't been there to take her, she would have been killed.

this is ramona at the time that she was exiled from ontario:

what a vicious babykiller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies