Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 05:40 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,770,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Poodles don't kill people.
True and only because they are small dogs, if they were larger dogs with the same natural tendencies even with good training they would be much more aggressie than your average pit bull.

My point is that the media sensationalizes pit bull attacks because it sells papers and makes people watch the news. If a Pit bull farts in the wrong direction it's front page news but if the toy poodle bites little billy requiring him to go get stitches its non news. Even other larger breeds when they attack and don't cause major issues don't make the news. It happens with a lot of breeds but if it's a pit bull it will make the news.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:49 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,046,055 times
Lol...the toy poodle bite doesn't make the news, b/c who is going to report a little minor scratch or laceration?
You don't get mauled by a toy poodle.
It is in the nature of some dogs to strike out once...it is in the nature of some dogs to perpetuate a sustained attack. The sustained attack is the real problem.

That being said, the owners need to be held responsible with criminal charges.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:37 AM

38,602 posts, read 26,206,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
We have our dog in an obedience class. Know what the most well behaved, and most personable dog is in the entire class (well, after ours of course ) - it's a female pit bull. She is a wonderful dog thanks to the way her owner is raising her.
A young boy my nieces play with was attacked by a pit bull that was a family pet. The dog simply latched onto his jaw without any warning whatsoever. He was about 5 at the time and will have facial scars for the rest of his life. He is fortunate to be alive. The people who have this bizarre psychological disorder that causes them to desire these dogs cannot be reached with reason. When faced with the facts about the dog they have selected, they simply go into a co-dependent like state of denial. That babies and very young children are often killed without warning by these dogs does nothing to move them. To carry a fire arm in public one must pass a background check and a CCW course so that the public is not unduly exposed to danger. Their is no way to prevent a dog that is just as dangerous as a firearm in the hands of the wrong person from randomly attacking the most vulnerable members of our society. I'm sick and tired of hearing "It's a well trained dog" as though we could peer into the psyche of a Pit Bull. These animals were bred to kill other dogs, not be family pets.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
True and only because they are small dogs, if they were larger dogs with the same natural tendencies even with good training they would be much more aggressie than your average pit bull.

My point is that the media sensationalizes pit bull attacks because it sells papers and makes people watch the news. If a Pit bull farts in the wrong direction it's front page news but if the toy poodle bites little billy requiring him to go get stitches its non news. Even other larger breeds when they attack and don't cause major issues don't make the news. It happens with a lot of breeds but if it's a pit bull it will make the news.
I'll survive an attack by a Chow, an Akita or a Poodle. A Pit Bull will likely kill me. It happens all the time. Here's the stats again.

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Atta...%20Clifton.pdf (http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf - broken link)

Old 04-25-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lol...the toy poodle bite doesn't make the news, b/c who is going to report a little minor scratch or laceration?
You don't get mauled by a toy poodle.
It is in the nature of some dogs to strike out once...it is in the nature of some dogs to perpetuate a sustained attack. The sustained attack is the real problem.

That being said, the owners need to be held responsible with criminal charges.
Like I said, these people cannot be reached with reason. They always have some excuse for their dog being OK. That children are killed all the time by this one breed makes no difference to them.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:55 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
sorry to disappoint. Our friends have a pit bull that was a rescue that wouldn't hurt a fly. All dogs can be dangerous. I'm sure Obama will get around to banning all dogs (except is illegal alien portugese water dog of course) after he bans all the guns.
It's the natural progression.
Well I guess it was asking too much to have a reasonable non-partisan discussion about a non-partisan topic.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Exactly and the second one is the biggest factor. Dogs like humans develop a character and like humans their environment plays a very large role in how that character develops. If the dog is mistreated, is allowed to do things like bite the ankles of people that so many people think is "cute" when they are puppies, is antagonized or teased or so many of the other things people do wrong when they get a dog they will grow into adult dogs with same mentality and it's no longer cute.

Certainly you may have some dogs that are just bad but again the parallel to humans is the same, we have many psychos in society that just are. You can look at the med student recently arrested for killing that prostitute as an example.

The pit bulls bad image comes about because of a lot of factors.

• A lot of pit bulls are owned by less than desirable people, attacks are going to more likely because of poor training or in fact they were trained to be mean. I know in my area when one of these dogs make the news it isn't the Cleaver family that owned it.
  • When they do attack the damage done can be quite severe because of their powerful jaws.
  • The news media will sensationalize these stories, you don't here about the toy poodles biting people yet they are considered one of the most aggressive breeds by nature.
[SIZE=1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][LEFT]Of the breeds most often involved in incidents of sufficient severity[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]to be listed, pit bull terriers are noteworthy for attacking adults almost[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]as frequently as children. This is a very rare pattern: children are[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]normally at greatest risk from dogbite because they play with dogs more[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]often, have less experience in reading dog behavior, are more likely to[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]engage in activity that alarms or stimulates a dog, and are less able to[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]defend themselves when a dog becomes aggressive. Pit bulls seem to differ[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]behaviorally from other dogs in having far less inhibition about attacking[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]people who are larger than they are. They are also notorious for attacking[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]seemingly without warning, a tendency exacerbated by the custom of docking[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]pit bulls' tails so that warning signals are not easily recognized. Thus[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]the adult victim of a pit bull attack may have had little or no opportunity[/LEFT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]to read the warning signals that would avert an attack from any other dog.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][/SIZE]
http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf (broken link)

Old 04-25-2009, 07:21 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,061,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
A young boy my nieces play with was attacked by a pit bull that was a family pet. The dog simply latched onto his jaw without any warning whatsoever. He was about 5 at the time and will have facial scars for the rest of his life. He is fortunate to be alive. The people who have this bizarre psychological disorder that causes them to desire these dogs cannot be reached with reason. When faced with the facts about the dog they have selected, they simply go into a co-dependent like state of denial. That babies and very young children are often killed without warning by these dogs does nothing to move them. To carry a fire arm in public one must pass a background check and a CCW course so that the public is not unduly exposed to danger. Their is no way to prevent a dog that is just as dangerous as a firearm in the hands of the wrong person from randomly attacking the most vulnerable members of our society. I'm sick and tired of hearing "It's a well trained dog" as though we could peer into the psyche of a Pit Bull. These animals were bred to kill other dogs, not be family pets.
For once, we AGREE!!!!!
People who feel the NEED to own these dogs have a serious mental disorder....as if there are NO other dogs on the planet.

Pitbulls are in the news because of the viciousness of their deadly attacks.

I suggest thet those who think the media is biased ALWAYS call their local news stations and national news shows whenever a cockapoo or golden retriever kills someone...be active, don't just whine about lack of coverage put it in their faces...let's all hear about it.
Because if sickos learn about how deadly and vicious other dogs can be they will buy those and the pitbull won't get all that "unearned" publicity.....c'mon....let's hear it!!!!

Old 04-25-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
For once, we AGREE!!!!!
People who feel the NEED to own these dogs have a serious mental disorder....as if there are NO other dogs on the planet.

Pitbulls are in the news because of the viciousness of their deadly attacks.

I suggest thet those who think the media is biased ALWAYS call their local news stations and national news shows whenever a cockapoo or golden retriever kills someone...be active, don't just whine about lack of coverage put it in their faces...let's all hear about it.
Because if sickos learn about how deadly and vicious other dogs can be they will buy those and the pitbull won't get all that "unearned" publicity.....c'mon....let's hear it!!!!

Old 04-25-2009, 07:29 AM

458 posts, read 1,350,636 times
Oh for the love of god. How many times do people need to be told it is not the dog but the dog owner. A lot people who have a pit bull are not responsible dog owners, they get a pit bull because it is "known" to be an attack dog, so they train it to attack, which is unfair to the dog. I owned two pit bulls until they were old and died on me. I miss them to this day. They were the best dogs I ever owned and I have two children (both teens) and they were raised with our pit bulls. Not once did I have an issue with my dogs.

If you are aggressive with any dog they will be aggressive with you or others. Look at the attack a Sheppard did to a little boy, the boy died from the attack. It was most unfortunate but do we ban Sheppard's now? do police stop using them? do the blind stop using them? No, because there are a few bad dogs in any breed does not mean you ban that breed. You hear a lot about pit bulls because people are afraid of them and want to make a case out of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.