Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 11:08 AM

61,290 posts, read 87,073,039 times

Advertisements

mean dog owners that parade pit bulls in public are people that got nothin to lose.
the kick in the head is the hustle by the SPCA to get the rich to adopt them, ha ha ha
does it come with an attorney? you guna need it.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:08 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,240,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Sounds like that young boy and your niece have bad parents. Are they just dumb or what? Maybe child services should look into it.
This is the kind of story in which other salient facts are usually missing.
For example, was the dog poorly bred? Was the dog abused? Unsocialized? Did he spend his days tied to a tree, subjected to abuse by neighborhood kids or even his owners? Did the child taunt the dog or hurt the dog? Was a child left alone with a dog with known aggression?

Nope. MUCH easier to just demonize the dog.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:12 AM

54 posts, read 73,487 times
Require insurance and licensing according to statistical risk, just like we do with high-performance cars. Currently there's no incentive for owners to be responsible for their dog, regardless of breed, so the management (and risk) is dumped on the public.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:22 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,378,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Poodles don't kill people.

You are right small poodles do not kill people.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:24 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,823,680 times
I'm going to comment before reading the posts, only so I'm not influenced by opinions.

I love dogs, and I do believe the owners of pit bulls have a big influence on their behavior. However, the type of owners they often attract are irresponsible and pose a threat to other people and animals.

Right now this is very personal to me, because of a rude neighbor. The couple got 2 pit bull puppies about 6 months ago and have always kept them outside. At first they were very cute and often came over to play. Some neighbors called Animal Control because they were running into the street. I complained because they didn't have proper shelter. Often there was no water nearby. I was concerned in Dec when the temp dropped below freezing and the puppies cried at night, so I continued to complain. I guess Animal Control made them buy dog houses. Recently the same people got a 3rd pit bull, but he's not a puppy. Now all 3 are big and loud and they bark constantly, since they're tied up in the yard 24/7. I am desperately trying to move out of here, because I can't get any sleep. I've written several posts about this situation on city-data.

Last week one of the dogs broke his chain and lunged at a neighbor as she was walking buy. She screamed and another neighbor chased away the dog. She called Animal Control. The next day the same dog chased a neighbor who was walking her 2 small dogs. She called Animal Control. I've seen the county van in front of their house at least 4 times over the past few months, but the dogs are still there.

So I guess when someone gets mauled is the time to take action?

Last edited by justNancy; 04-25-2009 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: fix punctuation

Old 04-25-2009, 11:34 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,143,445 times
I'd just like to add that pit bull isn't a breed, but a broad term that includes many breeds.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:39 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,326,488 times
Quote:
I've had it with these glassy eyed lunatic Pit Bull owners who simply refuse to understand that their dogs are a danger to all children at all times. Their is no safe Pit Bull ever. How many more times will we need to hear of a baby, small child or senior citizen being ripped to shreads by these ignorant animals before we realize that they cannot be made safe? I propose we ban this most vicious of dog breeds nationwide.

Pit bull kills 7-year-old Minneapolis boy at home

Pit Bull Kills Child in Huntington - WBOY-TV - WBOY.com (http://wboy.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=2866 - broken link)

Pitbull KILLS 12month old in EastPointe MI - February 2009 Birth Club - BabyCenter

Pit bull kills child and injures grandmother | Independent, The (London) | Find Articles at BNET

12-Year-Old Boy Killed By Pit Bull - CBS News

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf (broken link)
Nothing like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I met two gorgeous purebred American Staffordshire Pit Bull Terriors the other day, they were sweet and friendly and they even like cats.

Get your story straight and stop spreading ignorant rants that HURT rather then help.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I'd just like to add that pit bull isn't a breed, but a broad term that includes many breeds.
Good point.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Nothing like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I met two gorgeous purebred American Staffordshire Pit Bull Terriors the other day, they were sweet and friendly and they even like cats.

Get your story straight and stop spreading ignorant rants that HURT rather then help.
No kidding.

Should we outlaw humanity, too? I mean, just look at the "evidence" of our cruelty.

Animal Legal Defense Fund*:*Current Cases

Old 04-25-2009, 12:00 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,378,354 times
Quote:
I'll survive an attack by a Chow, an Akita or a Poodle. A Pit Bull will likely kill me. It happens all the time. Here's the stats again.

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Atta...%20Clifton.pdf (http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf - broken link)
I totally respect your fear of Pitts. But I think they are getting a bad rap just like Dobie's and Rottie's have gotten in the past. I think the Pitts could have more of a tendency to be a mean dog if mishandled and mistreated that is probably why they are good for the fighting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.