Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-17-2009, 03:37 PM
 
258 posts, read 442,064 times
Reputation: 203

Advertisements


YouTube - Pitbull and Rottweiler Attack

 
Old 06-17-2009, 03:40 PM
 
Location: On the Ohio River in Western, KY
3,387 posts, read 6,602,093 times
Reputation: 3362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
Say what you will, but you're far more likely to be attacked by a Pit Bull than you are by a Golden Retriever or a Pug.
It's funny you say that since I have been bitten by BOTH a pug and a golden, but not by a APBT; and I work in foster/rescue and have had over 60 pittys in my household.
 
Old 06-17-2009, 04:18 PM
 
Location: On the Ohio River in Western, KY
3,387 posts, read 6,602,093 times
Reputation: 3362
Quote:
Originally Posted by anders View Post
Oh, c'mon! You can pitch _anything_ with selective lists like that -- whether dog breeds, religions, veganism, meat-eating, or boxers-vs.-briefs.

And there's a difference between
-- the trimmer Pit Bulls of yore and today's often-grossly-pumped-up PBs (which some previous-era PB-owners would hardly recognize); and
-- some lawsuit-averse VIP's carefully bred/chosen and trained PB, vs. the backyard-bred, iffily trained PBs that too many of us encounter in our unglamorous everyday lives.
Those fat cur dogs are NOT and WILL NEVER be American Pit Bull Terriers! They are ill bred, mismanaged, medically unsound MUTTS at best and liabilities at worst.

They are called "American Bullies", and I repeat ARE NOT APBT!
 
Old 06-17-2009, 05:00 PM
 
Location: On the Ohio River in Western, KY
3,387 posts, read 6,602,093 times
Reputation: 3362
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
You are my friend and I wish we saw eye to eye on this,but as I said....I have to protect what is mine and until these hillbilly crackheads start getting busted more and their dogs taken away from them then I'm in between a rock and a hard spot.Danged if you do,danged if you don't.

As for an animals body language?Yep,I keep my eyes on every hair of an animal for a sign..remember,I've had many,many mules and horses and they won't just bite you,they'll do nasty things to you and kick you so hard that your MOM's nose will start bleeding two states away.

Thanks for the welcome back old buddy
Trust me Mule, I know where you are coming from with your side of things. And I know it's not just the breed that you have a problem with, it's the situation in whole. I was born and raised in farm lands as well, and I know how it is to defend your home and family (and that includes ALL livestocks, crops, animals, and people).

I just wish we could meet up once, (since we aren't very far away) and you could meet my mushball pit bull mix. By the end of the day, we could be drinking beers on the front porch, and Pugsley and your dogs would be passed out from playing all day in the fields, lol.

I already know the answer to the question, but I gotta ask anyway. would you lock and load if it was any other breed that was causing you the same problems as the s&*%$head neighbor's dogs? (just for the record, I think he should be PTS as well, meth heads are the WORST!!!!!)
 
Old 06-17-2009, 05:20 PM
 
Location: On the Ohio River in Western, KY
3,387 posts, read 6,602,093 times
Reputation: 3362
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
That's the truth. I remember, having a neighbor in Brooklyn walk his Pit bull (on a leash), and there was another dog near the Pit bull, on a leash as well. He said to the other dog's owner, and I quote:

"Excuse me, you see what kind of dog I have? Can you please move your dog away from mine"? He knew what vicious dog he had. He said it himself.

A friend of mine took me to a dog fight in the Bronx years ago. That was a crazy experience. I'd say 90% of the dogs there were Pit Bulls, the rest were Rottweilers. I know there are some bad owners that breed and train these dogs to be killers, but these dogs are not docile to begin with. When was the last time you saw a poodle or a cocker spaniel at a dog fight? Let's be real!!

Every dog can and will bite, but very few will cause damage a Pit bull, (Presa Canario, and Rotts) cause.

It's only a matter of time before they turn on their owners. Oh yeah, the same neighbor years later had his dog put to sleep for the same reasons.

Another friend of mine had his Pit Bull put to sleep, after the dog started getting aggressive when his wife got pregnant. The dog turned on him twice. He got the dog because he lived in a bad Brooklyn neighborhood for protection when he was away. Let's be real, Pit Bulls are not dogs you want to have around kids or decent people.

I have a place in Atlanta, and when I go jogging/walking in the neighborhood, I always have my good friend with me (My trusty 9 ). Just in case a loose Pit wants to test his luck! If they come in my backyard, and my kids are present, they're as good as dead.

To all Pit Bull owners: Just keep them away from my family and me, and we'll be fine.
Well your neighbor and friend are IDIOTS. No offense, but it doesn't take hardly ANY common sense to know it's NEVER a good idea to have a HIGH ENERGY breed cooped up in a city like NYC. Too much energy and no productive outlet leads to ill behavior and problems.

I have a pit mix, and he has acres of room to run, and he's no problem, neither is my mini schnauzer who is his older sister and his cuddle buddy. Yes, they have gotten into 1 fight in the past, but it was due to Buttons (the mini) being in a bad mood, and she ran Pugsley off, and he refused to attack her in ANY way, in fact he jumped up on the bed behind me and hid like a p****y!!!! (but even knowing that, I never leave them alone w/o crating them, they cry and whine, but with Buttons' medical issues, I don't want her to have a bad day and them get into it)

There are a few things ANY pit bull owner must ALWAYS remember.
1. Never trust your dog not to fight. (it is genetic, but training can prevent it to an extent, but 90% of the time it is still there, unless your dog is a product of curs)
2. A good dog is a TIRED dog. (and I can argue that for ANY breed!)
3. I fully believe in nature Vs nurture (when it comes to training) (you can teach ANY dog to do anything, and can teach ANY dog NOT to do anything)
4. I believe that if you treat an animal well (yes this includes humans!), with love, compassion, and mutual respect; they will do anything you wish ( which is part of the problem with pittys, they were bred to blindly follow humans, which is causing the problem today).

I guess I am different that quite a few of you. I will give any animal a chance, and usually more than a few chances before I discredit that specific animal as a loss.
 
Old 06-17-2009, 05:26 PM
 
Location: On the Ohio River in Western, KY
3,387 posts, read 6,602,093 times
Reputation: 3362
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Only people who have passed a background check may carry a gun.
As far as guns go, I can go to my next door neighbor right now and buy a rifle or handgun or shotgun without a "background" check. Not to mention I will be inheriting MANY firearms when some of my family members pass away, again NO background check there either.

In fact you can still buy black powder pistols and rifles from stores that do not require a check, since they are black powder, and you can openly carry them in public. (used to own a .44 6 shot and know for a fact that was the law, dunno if it has changed in the past few years, but I don't think so).

And honestly, criminals DO NOT care what laws are in effect, if they want a gun they WILL get one, so honestly your point is moot.
 
Old 06-17-2009, 05:31 PM
 
Location: On the Ohio River in Western, KY
3,387 posts, read 6,602,093 times
Reputation: 3362
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Pit Bulls are no different to any other Dog. The problem is the type of people who get pit bulls. They normally get them for their "fear factor" and LOVE to make them ferocious to show what a "hard" person they are. Guns are no different. They are harmless except for the fact that a lot of people who get them, get them for the wrong reasons and then the gun becomes just like a badly brought up pit bull....Dangerous!
There is no need nowadays to possess a gun but because of the huge gun culture in America, it seems that guns have to be owned to....yes you guessed it....protect people from guns. No more renegades to fight off. No more having to hunt in the woods for food to survive either, just good old fashioned ..... Gun Mania. I doubt if it will ever change but please stop condemning animals, that are dangerous because of their owners and then promote guns, that are dangerous because of their owners.
I agree with your statement except for the hunting in the woods for food part.

I still do hunt for food during season. Between my 2 deer, hubby's 2 deer, our 25-30 quail (between the 2 of us), and 3 turkey (1 each for me and him and 1 for our 10yr old), we feed ourselves MUCH healthier and cheaper than store bought food.

Not all gun owners are maniacs, some of us are actually normal people that use our guns for one of their intended purposes.
 
Old 06-17-2009, 05:48 PM
 
Location: vagabond
2,631 posts, read 5,437,557 times
Reputation: 1314
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
You have some valid points, but you are also in denial that most aggressive/vicious acts are committed by Pit Bulls. Simply yes or no?
Try to refute that.
i am not denying anything except the validity of the nightly news, which you seem to be basing your entire argument off of.

Quote:
While many of your points are valid, yet vague concerning Pits,
feel free to make a list of which points are valid, and which points you feel need clarification. in fact, until you make the list, we can't really hold an intelligent conversation, since i am providing specific examples and you are providing vague "some points are valid and some aren't."

Quote:
you still strike me as someone who defends them for one reason, the fact that you may have owned one or a few with no negative experiences.
you still using assumptions to back up your political ideologies? so then, i stand corrected, you are using the nightly news, and assumptions. how very accurate and unbiased your argument must be then.

as a matter of fact, i defend them because i understand a smidgen of animal psychology, and the role that humans are supposed to play in the keeping of domesticated *animals*, and breed bans are as ineffective as gun bans.

i have defended them for a long time; i only just adopted one this year.

Quote:
I just say, "It's only a matter of time".
you can say that it is only a matter of time all you want, but again, since you didn't see it the first time (or refuse to believe it), most pits *never* have a problem. most of us dog owners never have a problem.

so, it's only a matter of time is complete hogwash.

Quote:
I on the flip side have known and seen these dogs in being the most vicious in action.
quit using hyperbole for your argument; beside being ridiculous, it is another logical fallacy. you have certainly not done the research on viciousness among dog breeds, so don't try to tell me which one is the most vicious.

beside that false claim, ALL dogs are hunters. all dogs are killers. all dogs share the instinct to destroy whatever animal they see as prey. you call that vicious; they see it as natural. all domesticated dogs need to be properly controlled by their human masters (their pack alphas) in order to understand what kinds of creatures are off limits, and what kinds of creatures are legitimate prey animals (if any). if your dog (pit, lab, collie, or otherwise) is not understanding that, most likely it is your issue, not the dog's. you are the alpha, remember?

Quote:
Point blank. You can talk about logical fallacies, witch hunts all you want.
yes, if you base your argument on a logical fallacy then it is a witch hunt. period. fact. case and point. what you don't understand is that using a logical fallacy to try to make a point is like trying to introduce a palm reader to a court room as valid evidence. good luck.

Quote:
It's all good and all, but why are Pit Bulls banned in Miami, some cities in Colorado, and not Dobermans, Rottweilers, Yorkies, Cocker Spaniels?
bingo. here we cut to the chase. your hatred of pits is based off of what? off of political legislation of breed bans, which comes from where?

scientific research?

ha! not likely. it is based off of public sentiment and the media.

Quote:
Explain it to us, like we're 5 year olds. I don't see a ban on German Shepherds, Golden Retrievers and Labradors. You're telling me these law makers have a vendetta against Pitt Bulls? Let's be real. A few exceptions will not cut it.
i'm not sure where your 'few exceptions' scenario comes in, because obviously enough politicians feel threatened by the breed to enact bans/restrictions in multiple cities across the nation.

i am being real here. politicians do and say things to get reelected. putting restrictions on a dog because of a human problem does not make the human problem go away, because the dog has nothing to do with the equation.

Quote:
These dogs are vicious. Their vicious actions are committed in prevalence compared to any other breed. Point Blank!!
you have nothing except for your local neighborhood story-spinning news station to back that up. feel free to keep using the news as your moral beacon in life.

Quote:
I have my tool ready for one if it enters my yard. That's all I'm saying. These dogs are more of a liability that anything else.

While some want us to embrace them along with other breeds, in a Kum baya fashion, I doubt it will happen.
i really couldn't care less if you embrace pit bulls or not. i hate little dogs (you know, the super aggressive, ankle and finger-biting menaces?), and don't expect anyone here to change my mind about them, so why would i care that you don't like pits?

the difference is that i am not out trying to legislate or demonize your dog out of existence.

if you feel the need to shoot stray dogs that enter your yard, so be it. none of my business. just remember that when you shoot on sight because of its breed, while ignoring others of different breeds, you are setting yourself up for disappointment and eventual, unpredictable pain, because even poodles and chows bite peoples' faces off.

it is only a matter of time...
 
Old 06-17-2009, 05:50 PM
 
Location: London UK & Florida USA
7,923 posts, read 8,812,033 times
Reputation: 2059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
I agree with your statement except for the hunting in the woods for food part.

I still do hunt for food during season. Between my 2 deer, hubby's 2 deer, our 25-30 quail (between the 2 of us), and 3 turkey (1 each for me and him and 1 for our 10yr old), we feed ourselves MUCH healthier and cheaper than store bought food.

Not all gun owners are maniacs, some of us are actually normal people that use our guns for one of their intended purposes.
I completely agree with you. Not all gun owners in the USA are reckless or dangerous because they own a gun. The problem is that their are many who can legally get a gun that i wouldn't trust with a knife or even a log in their hands. They are the ones who just love the fact of having a gun and doing the "Huntin" thing. Too many people of a dubious mind can get their hands on guns and it is a pity for those who are like you that they exist. You are the kind that get the backlash because of the people who idolise guns.
 
Old 06-17-2009, 06:00 PM
 
258 posts, read 442,064 times
Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I completely agree with you. Not all gun owners in the USA are reckless or dangerous because they own a gun. The problem is that their are many who can legally get a gun that i wouldn't trust with a knife or even a log in their hands. They are the ones who just love the fact of having a gun and doing the "Huntin" thing. Too many people of a dubious mind can get their hands on guns and it is a pity for those who are like you that they exist. You are the kind that get the backlash because of the people who idolise guns.

Guns don't kill people bullets do!!!! A gun is no more dangerous than a lead pipe or stick. Bullets are propelled by gun powder at very high speeds. You don't need a gun to fire a bullet. A gun just makes it easier to aim a bullet, and make it hit with better accuracy. Hammer and nail will fire a bullet. As a kid we used to cut off the end of shot gun shells, and pour out the pellets. Then we would tape a nail to the center pen area of the shotgun shell. Toss it up in the air it lands on the nail, and you have one hell of a snap bang!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top