Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-17-2009, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Redneckistan
11,078 posts, read 15,073,895 times
Reputation: 3937

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Trust me Mule, I know where you are coming from with your side of things. And I know it's not just the breed that you have a problem with, it's the situation in whole. I was born and raised in farm lands as well, and I know how it is to defend your home and family (and that includes ALL livestocks, crops, animals, and people).

I just wish we could meet up once, (since we aren't very far away) and you could meet my mushball pit bull mix. By the end of the day, we could be drinking beers on the front porch, and Pugsley and your dogs would be passed out from playing all day in the fields, lol.

I already know the answer to the question, but I gotta ask anyway. would you lock and load if it was any other breed that was causing you the same problems as the s&*%$head neighbor's dogs? (just for the record, I think he should be PTS as well, meth heads are the WORST!!!!!)
Come on up and we'll let the dogs play and BBQ some beef

Your suspicions are correct,I drop anything that bothers property....in the past I HAVE given dogs a pass if they didn't chase anything,but they never last here. The problem with that is(and now it's MY turn to get jumped on) is that my Heelers are EVIL when another animal(dog or cat) comes into "their" territory.....the animal has to be "introduced" slowly and I guess go through what you and I would call a hazing or initiation process....it involves getting it's butt kicked quite a bit until it submits and is then allowed into the fold once they understand the pecking order.The new guy CAN'T win due to the fact that these dogs work together and pretty well know each others moves and if the new guy got one of the home team dogs down,then the other two jump in too.

This goes on forever and our newest adult dog has been here over two years and still to this day gets a whipping from the other ones if she gets to rough with one of us during play.Weird dogs.We have never had another breed of dog stay here......We have tried Catahoula Leopard dogs,Texas Lacy dogs etc etc.....they just don't work out over a day or so ....enough to get watered, fed,butt kicked and then run off.....I think(pretty sure) that 75% of the Catahoulas in our area and 100% of the Lacy Dogs around these counties have been supplied by my wallet....we bring them here,they get roughed up and run off and two weeks later you see them in the back of some drug store cowboy's pickup truck just as happy as can be.....if they look good(well cared for) then I never say a word to the guy and he ends up with a good dog....I go through that every couple of years as I am a slow learner

 
Old 06-17-2009, 05:11 PM
 
Location: On the Ohio River in Western, KY
3,387 posts, read 6,624,577 times
Reputation: 3362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomalhaut View Post
Guns don't kill people bullets do!!!! A gun is no more dangerous than a lead pipe or stick. Bullets are propelled by gun powder at very high speeds. You don't need a gun to fire a bullet. A gun just makes it easier to aim a bullet, and make it hit with better accuracy.
Yup, guns are just an easy way to commit crime, take them away, people will still commit crimes, they just use a different weapon. Just Monday, I read online in my local paper that blade crimes have increased 6x due too the inability in the area to get certain kinds of ammo, two of those crimes resulted in death.
 
Old 06-17-2009, 07:25 PM
 
Location: vagabond
2,631 posts, read 5,453,678 times
Reputation: 1314
despite the similarities in feel-good legislation between dogs an guns, we're getting a little sidetracked here, guys.
 
Old 06-17-2009, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Atlanta,GA
2,685 posts, read 6,420,764 times
Reputation: 1232
Ok, let's look at some videos. Are people making these up? You be the judge.


YouTube - PIT BULL FIGHT

If I were to ever meet up with that dog, on my property I would not hesitate to shoot.

Another good point. I wont waste my time talking. Just let these videos speak for themselves.
This guy makes a valid point.


YouTube - Pit Bulls - ATTACK

They're docile ok....Yeah...ok!! It's owner could not get him off. You want my kids to play with that. I'll take them to the gun range instead. Please. Yes, some of you have a valid point. The owners are as responsible, but ask yourselves this question. Why don't they train Labradors, Collies or Maltese to fight? Because it's not in their nature.


YouTube - Pitbull fight


Another nice pitbull attack!!



YouTube - Woman Attacked By Pit Bull


And another:


YouTube - dog attack caught on tape

I'm thinking about a tazer now....


a 10 year old.....You guys are pathetic to defend these dogs.


YouTube - Pit Bull Attack


Do you want more?


YouTube - Woman Loses Arm in Pit Bull Attack


Nice neighbor's dog, Good Pit Bull...NOT!! GLad they shot it. I'd do the same:


YouTube - Pit Bull Attacks a Black Lab

And another:


YouTube - Woman Mauled by Pit Bulls

Want more?


YouTube - Boy is mauled by pit bull

When will some people learn? SMH


YouTube - Police Shoot Pit Bull That Attacked K-9

DAMN, EVEN THE HORSES NOW!!!


YouTube - Horse Attacked By Pit Bull

You can defend these sadistic Pit Bulls all you want. Evidence is here. Let me hear the Pro Pit Mob now. Sure, the news is making it up . Common denominator, the Pitt Bulls. If you want to get the owners shot in the ass, be my guess..
 
Old 06-17-2009, 10:23 PM
 
Location: vagabond
2,631 posts, read 5,453,678 times
Reputation: 1314
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Ok, let's look at some videos. Are people making these up? You be the judge.
did you even watch the first one? the dog was swinging on a tire. did it startle you? wait, maybe it was the harness that she wore when pulling the vehicle. or, wait, maybe it was when she was biting the frizbee, or the rope, or the rug around her owner's arm (which i will admit is not the brightest thing to do under normal ownership conditions, but that proves my point about the human problem).

Quote:
If I were to ever meet up with that dog, on my property I would not hesitate to shoot.

Another good point. I wont waste my time talking. Just let these videos speak for themselves.
This guy makes a valid point.

They're docile ok....Yeah...ok!!
reading comprehension isn't big on your list of priorities, is it? yes, pits can be docile. but they are dogs. do you remember what animal dogs were bred from?

starts with a "w" and ends in an "olf," just to give you a hint. but hold on, it gets better: amazingly enough, pits have the same progenitors that chihuahuas and dachshunds have. why? because they are both dogs.

Quote:
It's owner could not get him off. You want my kids to play with that.
again with the reading comprehension. either you aren't bright enough to follow what is actually being argued, or you are intentionally being dishonest. wanna let us know which one it is? i don't give a rat's ass if you let your kids play with a pit bull, a pomeranian, or a beluga whale.

that's up to you. but when you demonize dogs that have never had a problem in their life, that gets my attention, and then when you base that ridiculous opinion off of the news and feel-good politics, that makes wonder if maybe you and i are actually from the same species.

Quote:
I'll take them to the gun range instead. Please. Yes, some of you have a valid point.
you keep saying that, but, i'd like to hear which points are valid in your opinion. i find it amusing that you say i am being vague, while you have yet to actually respond to a single point i've brought up, while i keep answering every one of yours.

Quote:
The owners are as responsible, but ask yourselves this question. Why don't they train Labradors, Collies or Maltese to fight? Because it's not in their nature.
wrong again. you need to at least do some homework before you try to demonize peoples' animals. dogs of many breeds, including labs and collies, have been raised to fight. they even raise horses to fight in some countries. think that has anything to do with the fact that they are "unpredictable, child-mauling killers" like you seem to believe about pits, yet refuse to believe about any other breed of dog?

Quote:
Another nice pitbull attack!!

And another:

I'm thinking about a tazer now....
tasers are a good idea. i prefer my knife, but either way, it works. interesting that tasers, knives, sticks, etc are needed to fend of spaniels, labs, dogos, and bull dogs as well as pits, isn't it? i'm guessing they didn't cover that on your favorite news channel, did they?

Quote:
a 10 year old.....You guys are pathetic to defend these dogs.
awesome, dude. love the insults. there is a difference between sarcasm and blatant insults. they didn't have debate class at your school?

as long as we are talking about what is pathetic, i think that making broad generalizations, emotional reactions, blatant deflections, sourceless claims, and the rest of the fallacies that are commonly used to make pits and other dogs (cuz they aren't the only ones being demonized) look like aliens is pretty pathetic.

Quote:
Do you want more?

Nice neighbor's dog, Good Pit Bull...NOT!! GLad they shot it. I'd do the same:
great. i'd have done the same. but quit pretending that pits are unique in that aspect.

Quote:
When will some people learn? SMH

DAMN, EVEN THE HORSES NOW!!!

You can defend these sadistic Pit Bulls all you want.
i am defending dogs as a whole, though i am doubting your capacity to understand that. i am not, however, defending dogs as perfectly compatible with human society, because they are not humans, and those of you that keep this mentality that you have are doing more harm than good, especially if you have a dog yourself that you are treating as a human.

Quote:
Evidence is here.
evidence? feel free to write a research paper with channel 5 news reports and youtube propaganda videos as sources. let me know how that goes.

even the guy in your second video ends up admitting that it is about strength, "a goldfish will nibble the hand that feeds it, but a shark has the ability to bite it off."

interestingly enough, pit bulls are small dogs, and while they have powerful bites for their size, they are not the most powerful dogs, nor do they have the strongest bites.

Quote:
Let me hear the Pro Pit Mob now. Sure, the news is making it up . Common denominator, the Pitt Bulls. If you want to get the owners shot in the ass, be my guess..
there are a lot of issues that go into what the news is making up, and i have already stated them on this very thread. let's see if i can find that post....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
most dog-breed-attack statistics are taken from eye witness accounts, either by the victim or someone that saw what happened. it kind of has to be this way, as there are usually few cameras or expert witnesses around at the time of a dog attack.

most of these witnesses cannot tell a pit from another dog breed. there are multiple reasons for this (and if i miss any obvious ones, please add your insight). one of the foremost is that a pit bull is not a single subspecies, but a group of similar dogs that display similar traits and have been bred for similar jobs. that alone makes an eye witness testimony suspect. further, most normal humans don't have the canine education necessary to be able to distinguish between breeds at all. they might know a retriever or a lab when they see one, but they wouldn't be able to label a catahoula leopard hound from a dogo argentina if it (excuse the pun) bit the person in the ass.

further, with the amount of mixed breeds out there, positive identification becomes even more of a gamble. in short, statistics about dog attacks are highly subjective, and are not logically or scientifically obtained.

but that is one of the biggest proponents toward breed-banning legislation that is out there. sounds willfully ignorant to me.

however, even if we go by those numbers, things still don't add up to make pit bulls the terrorizing killers that our society has scapegoated them into being.

here is an interesting article posted on the louisiana society for cruelty to animals website.
http://www.la-spca.org/dedication/talk/t_judge.htm (broken link)

eye-opening? i hope so.
common denominator: dogs. breeds are hardly ever identified in dog bite cases, and even when they are, it is rarely accurate. even worse, the media spins poodle bites into rabid pit attacks all of the time. why? because they get better ratings when it is a pit attack. same reason the paparazzi goes after upskirt photos of drunken celebrities; the respectful photos of mature, sensible women don't sell as well.

but hey, you seem to be biting it hook, line, and sinker. so i guess i can hardly blame them...

Quote:
Here's more:

You guys need to put it to rest, already. The proof is here.
again, youtube videos are not proof.

Quote:
Always ends in these dogs getting shot. I'm ready for them.
feel free to provide any sort of evidence that it (whatever it is) "always ends in these dogs getting shot." you have yet to find a thesis and stick with it.

Quote:
Are these the Poodles you mention?
nope. i was thinking more along the lines of this one:
Ananova - Woman's nose retrieved from pet poodle (http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3203432.html - broken link)

or these ones:
Aggressive Poodle

or maybe this one:
Poodle Attacks Pitbull (http://www.goofigure.com/UserGoofigureDetail.asp?gooID=3038 - broken link)

hey, as long as we're using news articles and eyewitness accounts, how about these?

Punish the Deed, not the Breed!
lots of subspecies

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/xml/...tack1_800p.JPG
rott

http://www.doganswers.com/images/Photo18.jpeg
husky

http://www.doganswers.com/images/Photo8.jpeg
akita

http://www.doganswers.com/images/Photo10.jpeg
wolf hybrid (reminds me of something i said earlier that you no doubt completely ignored...)

etc.

sensational, isn't it? but then, that is the point. sensationalism. show people enough photos of gruesome pomeranian attacks, and they'll try to ban them too. all in the name of feel good politics. glad you're so indoctrinated into it.

Quote:
"Breed specific laws are not based in science. [Laws] banning breeds will not make you safer, and the illusion that they will do so is dangerous to humans and unfair to dogs."

Dr. Karen Overall
Dog Bites: Information and Statistics

Quote:
Because of difficulties inherent in determining a dog's breed with certainty, enforcement of breed-specific ordinances raises constitutional and practical issues. Fatal attacks represent a small proportion of dog bite injuries to humans and, therefore, should not be the primary factor driving public policy concerning dangerous dogs.
Breeds of dogs involved in fatal human attacks in ...[J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2000] - PubMed Result

so maybe you can come down off of your high horse and actually answer some challenges and questions. then maybe we can have an intelligent debate.

aaron out.
 
Old 06-17-2009, 10:27 PM
 
Location: Imaginary Figment
11,449 posts, read 14,460,506 times
Reputation: 4777
How 'bout a pit bull with lipstick?
 
Old 06-17-2009, 10:29 PM
 
Location: James Island, SC
1,629 posts, read 3,476,682 times
Reputation: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Why don't they train Labradors, Collies or Maltese to fight? Because it's not in their nature.
Why? Because Labs, Collies, and Malteses ARE NOT PEOPLE PLEASERS the way the pit bull breeds are.

Because they will do anything to please their trusted owner, even if it means their own pain and suffering. Humans are taking ADVANTAGE of this dog's sweet nature, nothing more.

You should be ashamed of yourself for watching all of these videos. Only someone who enjoys the pain and suffering of others could sift through and watch video like that. Much like a pedophile with child porn.

Oh wait, you didn't actually watch them... the very first video you posted shows PIT BULLS and ROTTWEILERS playing together NICELY

Nor did you read my previous post (//www.city-data.com/forum/9338786-post494.html), because you completely IGNORED the statistics I cited. So try to read over it, and this one, again slowly, so you can actually understand.

When any dog attacks, it's usually a stray, and if a pit bull is a stray, it probably escaped or was abandoned by a dog-fighting ring that TAUGHT them to fight. And children who are bitten by dogs (locally, a child was attacked by a CHOW recently) - It's because their delinquent parents weren't watching them.


Your blind hatred is disgusting.
 
Old 06-17-2009, 10:29 PM
 
Location: Atlanta,GA
2,685 posts, read 6,420,764 times
Reputation: 1232
You said nothing to refute what was on the videos. I made my point.
I don't have to waste my time, all I have to do is keep bringing more evidence to the table. You're obviously getting mad. I'm not trying to rile you up, just making my point, without talking. So, be mad all you want.

These dogs are wicked. I'm all for banning them. In the meantime, I'll just look over my shoulder and make sure my family is safe from them and their owners
.
 
Old 06-17-2009, 10:34 PM
 
Location: James Island, SC
1,629 posts, read 3,476,682 times
Reputation: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
amazingly enough, pits have the same progenitors that chihuahuas and dachshunds have. why? because they are both dogs.
...

you keep saying that, but, i'd like to hear which points are valid in your opinion. i find it amusing that you say i am being vague, while you have yet to actually respond to a single point i've brought up, while i keep answering every one of yours.
...

as long as we are talking about what is pathetic, i think that making broad generalizations, emotional reactions, blatant deflections, sourceless claims, and the rest of the fallacies that are commonly used to make pits and other dogs (cuz they aren't the only ones being demonized) look like aliens is pretty pathetic.
...

so maybe you can come down off of your high horse and actually answer some challenges and questions. then maybe we can have an intelligent debate.

aaron out.

AWESOME POST. Wish I could rep you again

He's never responded to any of my stats, either.

If he actually takes the time to read it, his head might implode with the cognitive dissonance.
 
Old 06-17-2009, 10:39 PM
 
Location: James Island, SC
1,629 posts, read 3,476,682 times
Reputation: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
[b]You said nothing to refute what was on the videos. I made my point.
I don't have to waste my time, all I have to do is keep bringing more evidence to the table.

All you have done is rely on anecdotal shock value, not facts, history, or statistics the way the rest of us have done.

Search for ANYTHING on the internet, and you will surely find it - in your case, all you've done is prove there is a violent equivalent to Rule 34.

Once again, it is clear you have read neither of my posts, and have no intention of opening your mind or releasing your witch hunt-driven intolerance.

Your family doesn't need you to shoot dogs. Your family needs you to learn how to act like a compassionate human being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:50 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top