Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-25-2009, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Nova Scotia
458 posts, read 1,350,715 times
Reputation: 465

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Read the stats I included. The pure bred pit bulls are the ones that attack. The muts are about the same as other dogs. No, no ,no and no. The dog was a family pet that simply decided to latch onto the child's jaw. Stop making excuses.

ok here is a true attack story for you. One day a little boy and a little girl were sitting in the livingroom eating breakfast watch saturday morning cartoons with their family dog sitting on the floor with them. It was a purebred husky, beautiful dog, the sweetest pet anyone could ask for. They raised him from puppy and loved and treated that dog like any other member of the family, the dog never so much as nipped at anyone or growled. In fact it was the worst guard dog because it liked all guests.

So when the little girl brought her bowl into the kitchen then returned to livingroom to watch her cartoon, she accidentally nelt on the dogs tail, freaking the dog out, the dog turned and gave a warning growl. (just to say hey you hurt my tail, which he had never done before either) while in the process his teeth got caught on the corner of the girls eye and when the dog moved his head it ripped that half of her face off. It literally pealed back the skin, she had hundreds of stitches, This was my husbands sister.

It does not matter what bred the dog is, attacks happen some accidentally, some out of fear and some because they were raised by an idiot who should not have a dog in the first place, and does not know better.

I think people just love to find something to ****** about and this is one of them. Yes there are bad dogs, there are bad people too, there are bad cats for crying out loud. I know I saw one attack a 10yr old girl when all she did was walk in its path.

 
Old 04-25-2009, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Michigan
5,376 posts, read 5,324,260 times
Reputation: 1633
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Basically, if you own a big dog, as close as you are to them or how well you have trained them, like people, if they decide to just snap one day, you'll have a hell of a time attempting to get them under control.

I've always had big dogs (150 lbs and up). Never a problem, except if they decide to body slam you. But, I've always known the breeders, and the dogs that have come from the breeder. I would never buy a dog from a pet store or get one from a shelter. (sorry Peta & all the animal welfare groups)

You should spend as much time picking a dog as you do picking your children!!!!
 
Old 04-25-2009, 03:50 PM
 
7,359 posts, read 10,240,098 times
Reputation: 1893
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Tasha, an absolutely adorable, friendly and affectionate pit and my 2 year old grandson were raised together.
You know all those photos pit owners put up showing their kids and their pits snuggling? I can show you a dozen of those with Tasha and my grandson.
I can also show you the one with all the stiches holding his face together ...after Tasha suddenly grabbed him when he walked behind her while she was eating.
It took two adults to get Tasha to let go.
Pit owners refuse to acknowledge the difference those jaws make (not to mention the unpredicability), just cause they haven't witnessed it personally.
Neither would my son until that day.
So Tasha was food-aggressive. Which means that your two-year-old grandson should not have been allowed near Tasha while she was eating. AND that Tasha had not been properly assessed and trained regarding her food aggression.
 
Old 04-25-2009, 04:59 PM
 
Location: on the edge of Sanity
14,268 posts, read 18,823,680 times
Reputation: 7982
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
So Tasha was food-aggressive. Which means that your two-year-old grandson should not have been allowed near Tasha while she was eating. AND that Tasha had not been properly assessed and trained regarding her food aggression.
Wow! I can't believe your answer. Not because you're wrong, since I agree with what you wrote, but because you show no compassion for the child. As an animal lover, it breaks my heart when a dog is killed, especially for doing what is natural to him. I worked with a man who owned a German Shepherd and, without warning, one night the dog took off half of their baby's face when grabbing a piece of toast he was holding. He had to undergo surgery numerous times for years. It was a horrifying experience for the family.
 
Old 04-25-2009, 05:33 PM
 
7,359 posts, read 10,240,098 times
Reputation: 1893
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Wow! I can't believe your answer. Not because you're wrong, since I agree with what you wrote, but because you show no compassion for the child. As an animal lover, it breaks my heart when a dog is killed, especially for doing what is natural to him. I worked with a man who owned a German Shepherd and, without warning, one night the dog took off half of their baby's face when grabbing a piece of toast he was holding. He had to undergo surgery numerous times for years. It was a horrifying experience for the family.
OF COURSE I have compassion for the child.

But the topic of the thread is the pit bull as a breed. And the behavior of the dog in question is what I was responding to. Many dogs--of many breeds--exhibit food aggression, and it is up to the parents to ensure that their dog is properly trained and their child properly supervised when with the dog. In every case of a child being attacked by a "nice" dog, as far as I am aware, the attack happens because the dog is poorly bred and trained, the owners are not properly trained on dog behavior, and/or the child is not adequately supervised in the dog's presence.
 
Old 04-25-2009, 05:50 PM
 
3,709 posts, read 4,611,017 times
Reputation: 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Amazing, isn't it?

Bad Rap : Bay Area Doglovers Responsible About Pitbulls (http://www.badrap.org/rescue/myths.cfm - broken link)

Pit Bull Myths
[quote=ovcatto;8511688]
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post

I don't know what you are talking about. I can get a poodle to hold a bite just like any other dog including a pit bull, in point of fact after getting married I had to drop Dobermans due to my wife's allergies but our Standard Schnauzers were as tenacious biters (in a game of tug-a-war) as any Doberman or Rottweiler I've ever worked. In fact I could spin our male around in the air while he held on to a towel, just like a bulldog or a pit.
Pit bulls will hang on until the prey is dead or the dog is dead. I suspect the poodle and Schnauzer breeds won't last quite that long. Does everyone actually have to see this to believe this? Do I need to post a brutal hunting video for everyone to understand?

edit: One cannot train a dog to hang on with their bite until death. This is genetic within the breed.
 
Old 04-25-2009, 05:53 PM
 
7,359 posts, read 10,240,098 times
Reputation: 1893
[quote=irishvanguard;8514091]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Pit bulls will hang on until the prey is dead or the dog is dead. I suspect the poodle and Schnauzer breeds won't last quite that long. Does everyone actually have to see this to believe this? Do I need to post a brutal hunting video for everyone to understand?
EVERY dog with a prey drive will hang on to prey as long as they can. The pit bull happens to be a powerful dog. Thus, no prey has a chance with a pit bull trained to hunt. So what's your point? That pit bulls are the devil?
 
Old 04-25-2009, 06:09 PM
 
3,709 posts, read 4,611,017 times
Reputation: 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
EVERY dog with a prey drive will hang on to prey as long as they can. The pit bull happens to be a powerful dog. Thus, no prey has a chance with a pit bull trained to hunt. So what's your point? That pit bulls are the devil?
The pit bull hangs on even with his innards hanging out. And you are suggesting that you can train any breed to do this? LOL

My point is nothing but to describe and differentiate this breed. I have not advocated any law or policy.
 
Old 04-25-2009, 06:23 PM
 
1,117 posts, read 1,988,424 times
Reputation: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
For once, we AGREE!!!!!
People who feel the NEED to own these dogs have a serious mental disorder....as if there are NO other dogs on the planet.

Pitbulls are in the news because of the viciousness of their deadly attacks.

I suggest thet those who think the media is biased ALWAYS call their local news stations and national news shows whenever a cockapoo or golden retriever kills someone...be active, don't just whine about lack of coverage put it in their faces...let's all hear about it.
Because if sickos learn about how deadly and vicious other dogs can be they will buy those and the pitbull won't get all that "unearned" publicity.....c'mon....let's hear it!!!!
With almost every breed of dog, if they are vicious, you can blame the owners or attribute it to a "fluke" in the dog's nature. However, with Pit Bulls, that is not the case. Pit Bulls are unpredictable and are genetically inclined to be aggressive. You can have a Pit Bull for years who is seemigly docile and even-tempered, and then one day, for no reason, it will "snap".

It's obvious why drug dealers and otherwise low-life individuals own Pit Bulls, but I can't understand, for the life of me, why any decent person would take the chance with these dogs.

Whenever I see a Pit Bull I turn the other way, FAST. And I wouldn't have ANY problem whatsoever if the breed was banned, and all living Pit Bulls were euthanized. Yep...you heard me correctly. I wouldn't have ANY problem with all Pit Bulls being euthanized.
 
Old 04-25-2009, 06:29 PM
 
1,117 posts, read 1,988,424 times
Reputation: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Tasha, an absolutely adorable, friendly and affectionate pit and my 2 year old grandson were raised together.
You know all those photos pit owners put up showing their kids and their pits snuggling? I can show you a dozen of those with Tasha and my grandson.
I can also show you the one with all the stiches holding his face together ...after Tasha suddenly grabbed him when he walked behind her while she was eating.
It took two adults to get Tasha to let go.
Pit owners refuse to acknowledge the difference those jaws make (not to mention the unpredicability), just cause they haven't witnessed it personally.
Neither would my son until that day.
THIS is the reality of Pit Bulls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:53 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top