Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-25-2009, 06:33 PM
 
1,117 posts, read 1,988,424 times
Reputation: 982

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
So Tasha was food-aggressive. Which means that your two-year-old grandson should not have been allowed near Tasha while she was eating. AND that Tasha had not been properly assessed and trained regarding her food aggression.
If a dog is "food aggressive" then it doesn't belong in the same house as a 2-year-old. As a matter of fact, if a dog is "anything agressive" it doesn't belong in the same house with children.

 
Old 04-25-2009, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Missouri
3,645 posts, read 4,908,320 times
Reputation: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
THIS is the reality of Pit Bulls.
It is not the reality of Pit Bulls or any other dog. It is the reality of people who had no control over there dog and allowed him to be aggressive and then allowed the child to play with him while he was trying to eat.
 
Old 04-25-2009, 07:30 PM
 
6,205 posts, read 7,420,588 times
Reputation: 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I'll survive an attack by a Chow, an Akita or a Poodle. A Pit Bull will likely kill me. It happens all the time. Here's the stats again.
In spite what you say, I hope you'll never be seriously attacked by an Akita...
There is something you seem to omit - Akitas, German Shepherds, Dobermans, Rottweilers were all bred to fight/ protect against people. Pit Bulls - to fight other dogs.
Attacks by dogs - most attacks are by small dog breeds (terriers, pinchers, miniature poodles etc.). Most people bitten by larger dogs, are bitten by German Shepherds and... Golden Retrievers, as much as it sounds unlikely.
The problem with Rotweillers and Pit Bulls is that the damage they inflict when attacking, may be very serious.
 
Old 04-25-2009, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,300 posts, read 22,135,677 times
Reputation: 6549
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I'll survive an attack by a Chow, an Akita or a Poodle. A Pit Bull will likely kill me. It happens all the time. Here's the stats again.

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Atta...%20Clifton.pdf (http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf - broken link)
A chow bred for battle. Very prone to eye and ear diseases. Skin diseases also.
Akita japanese war dog. Legendary for their loyalty. Does not play well with other pets, requires a very dedicated owner to manage them. Not for the feint of heart.
Poodles. Also prone to diseases.
All due to poor breeding or poor owners.
Pitbulls: Petey on Lil rascals.
Victims of overbreeding and inbreeding. Worse still victims of owners who exploit them, neglet them or mishandle them.
Rottwielers in this country also have a bad rep. However, in their native country there has never been a report of an accidental attack.
So whats different?
 
Old 04-25-2009, 07:42 PM
 
Location: MI
1,069 posts, read 3,186,482 times
Reputation: 582
The owner's fault-BS. I knew a women who managed a dog kennel for 6 years. The 2 serious attacks on staff both came from pits. One pit who was owned by a little old lady(hardly a bad irresponsible owner) suddenly turned on and bit the in-house groomer while the dog was being bathed. The dog had been coming to the kennel for years, had a caring owner and the dog attacked without being provoked.

The second incident, again it was customary that the dog recieve a bath on the day before pick-up if the owner paid for it. The pit bit the hell out of a part time kennel worker, unprovoked.

It was the only breed that was muzzled while it recieved grooming, they are just to damn unpredictable.
 
Old 04-25-2009, 08:33 PM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
17,758 posts, read 40,008,193 times
Reputation: 18033
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Pitbulls: Petey on Lil rascals.
I love when pit bull lovers mention this fact. As if being Petey on a tv show from from the 1930's makes pit bulls a good family dog. Petey was a trained dog actor. Just as Moose acted on the Frasier show and was all adorable, and Jack Russell terriers don't make the best family pets. And Lassie was only a part acted out by a trained dog. Do I need to go on? And btw the way, the chimp actor on the Tarzan tv show was also adorable on screen but hated the actress playing Jane off screen.

In addition, the pit bull that Petey was, can't be considered a good example of a pit bull bred today. There's just too many generations between that dog and what's around now. He's a dog that was alive about 70 years ago! All dog breeds evolve and change over the years. The Victorian era pug dog is very different looking from the pugs of today. The breed standards are not the same.

And also, I don't believe that it's only abused pit bulls that turn "bad". Pit bull breeds need a strong alpha human to be their pack leader. One obediance class isn't enough, Their owners have to maintain and reaffirm their alphaness consistently all their lives. So a pit bull that is coddled by his nice owners is also likely to be a problem too. And letting the human kids sleep with a pit indicates to the dog that he is equal in rank to the kids. And if he gets to sleep with the kids, be on the couch and also allowed on the adult beds, any dog will think themselves a "people" and their peer. Those dogs are just too strong physically to allow them to feel the equal of humans.
 
Old 04-25-2009, 08:34 PM
 
7,359 posts, read 10,240,098 times
Reputation: 1893
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
If a dog is "food aggressive" then it doesn't belong in the same house as a 2-year-old. As a matter of fact, if a dog is "anything agressive" it doesn't belong in the same house with children.
Not true. Many puppies are food aggressive and can be trained out of it. Sorry.
 
Old 04-25-2009, 08:47 PM
 
7,359 posts, read 10,240,098 times
Reputation: 1893
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
A chow bred for battle. Very prone to eye and ear diseases. Skin diseases also.
Akita japanese war dog. Legendary for their loyalty. Does not play well with other pets, requires a very dedicated owner to manage them. Not for the feint of heart.
Poodles. Also prone to diseases.
All due to poor breeding or poor owners.
Pitbulls: Petey on Lil rascals.
Victims of overbreeding and inbreeding. Worse still victims of owners who exploit them, neglet them or mishandle them.
Rottwielers in this country also have a bad rep. However, in their native country there has never been a report of an accidental attack.
So whats different?
Hate knows no compassion. There has been plenty of information posted on this thread about pit bull FACTS. That, for example, pit bulls are no more human aggressive than many other breeds. Notice that all the haters simply ignore it. Hate wants to hate--the facts be damned. Here is an article by a well-known veterinarian:

Punish the Deed, not the Breed!

One passage of note:

To claim one breed is more responsible for human fatalities is impossible.
Some would chose to single out the Pit Bull , due to the fact there are
estimated statistics and the type of dogs that resemble the Pit Bull are
such a wide variety that we find Amercian Bulldogs, Boxers, and Mastiff's
labeled as Pit Bulls. It is impossible to compare different breeds of dogs
versus human fatalities.

The Washington Animal Foundation did a survey on human fatalities by dogs in 2001 and came up with these figures, Rottweiler (6); Labrador (2);
Pomeranian (1); German Shepherd (2); Chow (1); Wolf-Hybrid (1); Akita (1); Doberman (1); Beagle (1); Presa Canario (2); Pit Bull (1); mixed breeds (6). When comparing these figures with the human fatalities from 1975-80 by Pickney & Kennedy, Traumatic Deaths from Dog Attacks in the United States, the report identified the following as responsible for human fatalities during the study period from May, 1975 to April, 1980: German Shepherd (16); Husky (9); St. Bernard (8); Bull Terrier (6); Great Dane (6); Malamute(5); Golden Retriever (3); Boxer (2); Dachshund (2); Doberman Pinscher (2); Collie (2); Rottweiler(1); Basenji (1); Chow-Chow (1); Labrador Retriever (1); Yorkshire Terrier (1); mixed and unknown breeds (15). One would question the accuracy of human fatalities by dogs from current reports and especially the statistics on the Pit Bull. When looked at from a more realistic point of view one would find Shepherds and other working dogs rate higher in fatalities. However, given the increasing population of dog breeds at any given time, it is impossible to compare one breed to another."

Notice that there was one fatality perpetrated by a beagle, and another by a pomeranian.

Last edited by MovingForward; 04-25-2009 at 09:09 PM..
 
Old 04-25-2009, 09:04 PM
 
Location: toronto, Canada
773 posts, read 1,211,779 times
Reputation: 283
Since the dawn of time, wildlife has had no place in society, it literally is a dog eat dog world. Every other day there is a story about a person who forgets this and is attacked by something that may appear cute or harmless. A little reading about how the mongoose lulls the cobra before an attack may be in order, or how dolphins will play with a human before devouring them, think about that the next time you're at seaworld. The dolphin kiss is really its way of tasting its morsel.
Dogs by their very nature will take notice the role of the small, and elderly in their household pack and if given the chance will act accordingly when they don't know their bounds.
The reality is everyday more people are attacked by chihuahua and poodles than the maligned pit bull. Of course, larger dogs do more damage.

So does it make sense to ban pit bulls. The answer is no, because it makes no more sense than to ban all large dogs or more logically the Cocker Spaniel who as a breed suffers from 'rage syndrome'.
Proponents of such breed specific legislation often have not considered the effects of hastily proposed government legislation.
What may start out as a ban quickly turns into Little Johnny losing his mongrel because it's considered 51% pitbull. Breed specific legislation is often very dificult to prove in court and any good lawyer can tell you legislation without clear definitions can create legal challenges. It should be noted that in Ontario, the pitbull is not recognized as a breed, like say the staffordshire.

As always the case, the answer like in nature is often the simple one. Rather than punishing innocents such as loving dog owners and murdering dogs which pitbull bans propose, the answer is in enforcing personal property rights and creating harsh sentences for the pack leader, read owner. Irresponsible dog owners won't respond to simple euthansia of their pets, they will just go out and buy another breed. Punishment must be directed at them. Sentences of assault and on rare occasion murder are more effective at getting the attention of the 'Rambo, street fighting nutters' that seem attracted to the allure of pit bulls.

Interesting to note that in a libertarian society, people who wisely arm themselves, because in the end they are their own police in this situation would rarely get attacked. There is a reason why they invented the hunting rifle and I bet that most not so old pit bulls 'yellers' aren't thrilled by a shot to the buttocks.
 
Old 04-25-2009, 09:25 PM
 
3,709 posts, read 4,611,017 times
Reputation: 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Not true. Many puppies are food aggressive and can be trained out of it. Sorry.
This "food aggressive" stuff is just silly talk from so-called pet trainers or animal "psychologists". LOL

MOD NOTE: video may be disturbing to some


YouTube - Dogo Argentino vs. Boar 1 12.04.08

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-27-2009 at 04:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:28 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top