Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-03-2009, 09:21 AM
 
7,380 posts, read 15,630,453 times
Reputation: 4975

Advertisements

this is what happens when people enact breed specific legislation.

this BOXER was tased twice while he was standing their wagging his tail at some police officers.

well once while he was doing that, once while he was lying on the ground twitching.

now he faces euthanasia because his owner can't prove he's not a pit.

[SIZE=3]Otis is a white boxer who lives in the Lakewood, Ohio area where pit bulls are banned. When Otis escaped his house through a screen, the police found him on the street and tasered him not once, but twice. Please do NOT watch the video if you cannot handle a poor defenseless creature crying and writhing in pain. What the video will show you is a white boxer boy, barking and wiggling his tail. Not once does it show him lunging viciously or attacking or biting anyone or even trying to do any of those things. The pictures will also show you he is clearly a boxer, like my collective boxer kids Wilshire, Chance, Sister, Stella and Oscar.

Please sign the petition because Otis is being held as a possible vicious dog until an upcoming hearing which has already been postponed because the police involved were not available.
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/sav...he-boxers-life

I've seen the overzealous police personally in action dealing with a dog they deemed possibly dangerous. Out of fear, they over react.

Read the news story to learn more:
Dog Gone: Tasered Dog Must Leave Lakewood, New Home Waiting In Cleveland

Watch the video, if your stomach can handle it:

YouTube - Dog (boxer) Gets Tasered by POLICE

At the end of the video, they ask you to feel free to contact:
Lakewood City Hall
12650 Detroit Avenue
Lakewood, OH 44107
216-521-7290

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]Write letters, call for OTIS!!!!
He needs to be home safe and sound with his family.
[/SIZE]

by the way, i'm female, vegetarian, and a pacifist. i don't own a pit bull but i love the breed and would take the right pit in a second. here is my current fierce, macho dog, viciously attacking the covers while i was making my bed:



how does that fit in with your stereotype of pit bull owners?

 
Old 08-03-2009, 10:51 AM
 
189 posts, read 334,421 times
Reputation: 220
The desire of moral crusaders to control the lives and decisions of others is FAR more dangerous than any dog.
 
Old 08-03-2009, 11:19 AM
 
459 posts, read 802,567 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
surprised that a poster who has the name----"Harley" in his monikor is so supportive of pit bulls. ( sarc)

I guess when you need a motorcycle name to prove your manhood, adding a pit bull to improve it more would be natural.

Perhaps you should respond to those male enhancement ads that are on tv also

Harley is the name of my dog!!!! I don't own a harley davidson and I drive a toyota carolla. So Yeah I guess i'm proving my manhood by driving a corolla everyday BUt good try big guy
 
Old 08-03-2009, 11:29 AM
 
459 posts, read 802,567 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
This is the part where they bring up car crashes and lightening strikes. Whatever it takes to rationalize the danger they impose on children, the elderly and anyone else with common sense.

I totally aggree! I was doing my epic daily research on dogbitelaw.com in my trailer while I had judge judy on in the background and I found out that only 1 percent of the pit bull population has been reported in an attack. I then came to the realization that 1 percent of anything can be dangerous to all human life. So please people spend all your energy in getting these mindless killing machines off the face of the earth, because only then will human life be able to survive.
 
Old 08-03-2009, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,112 posts, read 30,548,898 times
Reputation: 16395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley_man View Post
Harley is the name of my dog!!!! I don't own a harley davidson and I drive a toyota carolla. So Yeah I guess i'm proving my manhood by driving a corolla everyday BUt good try big guy
Hehe. I grew up around Harley Davidsons. My dad currently trains bird dogs and participates in field trials with his black lab AND has 3 Harleys. He's never owned a pit bull, but he has driven around town with one of my mom's pugs on his lap on the Harley She loves riding motorcycles.

I find it funny that Momonkey never replied to my post regarding ADOPTING a pit bull from the pound because of an abusive situation. I guess since she's a pit bull she deserved to die.
 
Old 08-03-2009, 11:36 AM
 
Location: vagabond
2,631 posts, read 5,441,291 times
Reputation: 1314
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
[LEFT]-According to the American Canine Temperament Testing Association, 82.5%of the American Pit Bull Terriers that took the temperament test passed, compared to a 77% passing rate for all breeds on average. In the test a dog is placed in a series of confrontational situations. The first sign of aggression or panic is a failure of the test. Pit Bulls have achieved the fourth highest passing rate of all 122 breeds tested.[/LEFT]

The test that matters isn't what it doesn't do. Do you understand that? Take all the time you need to think about that before continuing. The dog can not attack a child a million times. It doesn't matter. What does matter is that it does attack even once. A lot of dogs bite children or elderly people, or even turn on their owners. That also is not the issue. It is the damage done by the attacks, the ferocity of the attacks and the fact that this one breed tends to continue the attack. Other breeds will bite and release. That isn't that case with pit bulls.

From the OP: "I've had it with these glassy eyed lunatic Pit Bull owners who simply refuse to understand that their dogs are a danger to all children at all times."

At the very beginning I acknowledged that I cannot through logic and reasoning change the dependency pit bull owners have on these dogs nor the rationalizations they have for choosing this one breed. It is no different than a drug dependency. Pit bull owners get a certain feeling of invincibility when they are with their pit bull. Cocaine is no different. It's beer muscles without the DUI. I won't make sense to you now and likely never will. I've already conceded as much.

The guy in the judge Judy video said, "he ain't never bit nobody before" and his dim wit wife spouted off all the same rationalizations for keeping one the puppies that have been listed on this thread ad nauseum. These aren't rational people and they cannot be reached.

I'm still asking the same question.

With all the wonderful breeds available, why do you need this one?

What is so special about pit bulls?
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
It's not the 82%. It's the 18%. The 82% does not undo what the 18% does. Mind you, I don't care what sort of animal you choose to keep or what that animal does to you. It's none of my business, but these animals kill and permanently harm children, the elderly and others who are smart enough to not have one of these dogs. But you need these dogs to compensate for something you lack. So you won't listen and you won't care. You'll continue making lame excuses for wanting this one breed. You heard the moron in he video. "He ain't never bit nobody before". And his intellectual equal wife sees no problem with keeping one of the puppies and having children in the home. See, I said this before and I'll say it again, the thread isn't about the dogs or what is wrong with them. It's about the owners and the need they have to compensate for their own inadequacies with the dogs to the point of endangering everyone around them including children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
and......they make you feel secure in a scary, scary world full of mean people. Yep, humans pick on pit bulls. Has nothing to do with the actions of the pit bulls.

I should have expected a few stragglers on this thread. You know what you advocate is wrong and a danger to children, but you also need these dogs at the same time. So you feel guilty. You'll deny it, but it's obvious. The qualities you ascribe to pit bulls are part of the story and we all know the rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
surprised that a poster who has the name----"Harley" in his monikor is so supportive of pit bulls. ( sarc)

I guess when you need a motorcycle name to prove your manhood, adding a pit bull to improve it more would be natural.

Perhaps you should respond to those male enhancement ads that are on tv also
do you not understand that your entire argument is based off of assumptions? you don't have a single piece of evidence toward your argument that does not rely on assumptions.

you assume that people need pit bulls like a drug. you assume that every pit bull attacks or is waiting to attack (as stated in your "roy's tigers" post). you assume that pit bull owners are also the same group that drive jacked up trucks and gas-guzzling supercars. you assume that pit bull owners have some sort of deficiency or impotence that needs to be compensated for. you even assume that all of these blogs and news articles that you link to are factual, and that they aren't one of the many cases where another dog breed (or cat, gopher, ferret, etc) is mistaken for a pit.

aaaand then you assume that these are credible arguments in a debate that must take into account archeology, biology, capitalism, cultural anthropology, psychology, socialism, sociology, and probably other fields of which i haven't even thought of yet.

but you bring judge judy, a blogspot, and a boatload of assumptions and prejudices (not only against dogs, but against people as well) to the table. do you really think that this is going to fix the problem?

what is going to happen when you achieve a breed ban across the nation and pit bulls become a thing of the past... and the dog bites continue to happen? what happens when the bad guys move on to another breed?
 
Old 08-05-2009, 10:35 PM
 
Location: "The Sunshine State"
4,334 posts, read 13,628,245 times
Reputation: 3063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
This assumption is absolutely insane.

I went to the shelter with the intention of adopting maybe a 30lb dog at the most.

But when I met this 5-month old pit - already 33lbs - I fell in love. She was the sweetest, most affectionate dog there. She is now just over a year, and 50lbs. I love her more every day.

I recently broke my foot, and have no shortage of friends volunteering to walk her, because she is such a joy. They report back how amazed they are that she ignores other barking dogs.


And I did NOT get her for protection - it is MY job to protect HER. And you can bet your ass I will.
Great post, as always! I agree, they are a very sweet breed.
I rescued hundreds out of a kill shelter for many years and one was always sweeter than the other and just about 100 percent of them all came from a living hell place and were severely abused! This breed deserves a second, third, forth etc. chance at life! They get such an unfair bad rap!

Remember people, for every pit bull attack on a person there are 100's of other dog breed attacks. There is no breed of puppy that is born to harm any human adult, child or other dog. The puppy that grows up and harms a human or another dog is due to abuse and a total lack of socialization by the owner. Most of these dogs that attack are abused and on a chain 24/7 with no human contact except to be handed some food and water, if that! (But the news media never reports that!) These kind of people should never own a dog in the first place! One more thing, pitbulls are people and kid friendly! They can have aggression issues with other dogs. If they do, it would be due to a complete lack of socialization since a pup! Not because it is a pitbull.
Some other breeds that can be dog and also people aggressive are Chows, Akitas, German Shephards, and Dobermans. One who owns any of these breeds needs to be a responsible owner and raise there pup with lots of love and socialization, especially a pitbull since they are huge people lover dogs! This breed needs human contact, since all they want to do is please their owners!

Please note: When the news media gets their hands on a pitbull attack story you never get the real full story and background of the dog or should I say, the owner! Last of all, it is never the dogs fault!

Punish the Deed, not the Breed!

Any dog in the wrong hands can be taught bad behavior, they are not born with it!

Last edited by Blondie621; 08-05-2009 at 11:21 PM..
 
Old 08-05-2009, 10:48 PM
 
Location: James Island, SC
1,629 posts, read 3,470,879 times
Reputation: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
the odds are it will be a pitbull.

Statistics that show that serious attacks on humans is more likely to be a pit bull breed rather than any other breed.( and by a huge margin )

That's a fact !
What statistics? Cite them! I've cited mine, and they disprove your claims.
 
Old 08-05-2009, 10:55 PM
 
Location: James Island, SC
1,629 posts, read 3,470,879 times
Reputation: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
It's not the 82%. It's the 18%. The 82% does not undo what the 18% does.
As usual, this is completely illogical. If 18% is a big problem, then by your logic, we should eliminate any dog that has a greater margin of error - like Jack Russells .

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
But you need these dogs to compensate for something you lack.
What do I lack?

Smarts? - National Merit Scholar, Masters in Psychology, starting Law School next year.

Toughness? -I've done 3 marathons, 3 triathlons, 3 cyclocross races, and numerous road and trail races. I was also a person trainer for 2 years. Oh yeah, and I can change my own car tire.

Company? - I have a friend for every need; fun, sympathy, advice, etc.

All you have on your side is complete ignorance.
 
Old 08-05-2009, 10:57 PM
 
Location: James Island, SC
1,629 posts, read 3,470,879 times
Reputation: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I should have expected a few stragglers on this thread.
Stragglers? Seems like you're the one outnumbered, son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top