Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-06-2009, 05:59 AM
 
7,380 posts, read 15,667,439 times
Reputation: 4975

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I'm not a Pit owner - and I totally agree with the other poster
ditto.

regarding dog parks, i was there with my friend and her (rescued from the ontario breed ban) pit. her pit went up to another lady's dog and did a wiggly-butt PLAY BOW with some vocalization and the lady flipped out and said the pit was attacking her dog! and here was the pit doing pretty much the friendliest thing a dog can do to another dog.

it's idiots like that who can't be bothered to learn the most basic dog body language who shouldn't have dogs. if you don't know if a dog is attacking or soliciting play from your dog, at the very least you certainly shouldn't be in a dog park.

 
Old 08-06-2009, 06:29 AM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
38,646 posts, read 26,358,386 times
Reputation: 12647
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Hehe. I grew up around Harley Davidsons. My dad currently trains bird dogs and participates in field trials with his black lab AND has 3 Harleys. He's never owned a pit bull, but he has driven around town with one of my mom's pugs on his lap on the Harley She loves riding motorcycles.

I find it funny that Momonkey never replied to my post regarding ADOPTING a pit bull from the pound because of an abusive situation. I guess since she's a pit bull she deserved to die.

Missing the point. Children deserve to live. In my world that trumps everything else. Sometimes children have retarded parents who decide that pit bulls and children are a good mix. Sometimes pit bulls get loose, and sometimes a family dog attacks a child (Trever) without warning. Trever is fortunate that adults were present to stop the attack.

Why do you think pit bulls end up in the pound?
 
Old 08-06-2009, 06:44 AM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
38,646 posts, read 26,358,386 times
Reputation: 12647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klapton View Post
The desire of moral crusaders to control the lives and decisions of others is FAR more dangerous than any dog.

Yep, that's it. Got nothing better to do. Has nothing to do with protecting children or elderly people from morons like the one in the video. Just out to run everyone's life.
 
Old 08-06-2009, 06:50 AM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
38,646 posts, read 26,358,386 times
Reputation: 12647
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
ROFL! (And I don't use those acronyms lightly)

Wow, did you write the HEAD-ON commercials? Repeat a lie enough times, and they've gotta believe! Right?

Seriously, I'd love to stay up and play, but I've gotta work tomorrow.

Enjoy the long, shameless, ranting nights of summer vacation, "kiddo"


Would really prefer that you read the stats I included in the OP before resorting to personal attacks on those who have done their homework.

If you have stats that contradict those, I would love to see them.
 
Old 08-06-2009, 06:54 AM
 
7,380 posts, read 15,667,439 times
Reputation: 4975
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Why do you think pit bulls end up in the pound?
why did my dog (terrier/schnauzer/pointer/??? mix?) end up in the pound? because her owners were irresponsible and couldn't be bothered to find a place that took dogs when they moved.

my local pound carefully temperament tests all dogs before putting them up for adoption. yet the adoption floor is usually 90% pits. hmmm. why are all of these pits passing temperament tests with flying colors? why hasn't the pound started euthing pits on sight due to lawsuits stemming from dogs they adopted out (thousands every year) mauling and killing people?

you see a lot of pits in the pound because they're popular with irresponsible owners, and popular period. and because a lot of people won't take them due to an unfair stigma on the breed (and also because they are large, and a very energetic breed that takes a lot of training to keep in line).

if pit bulls are so much more dangerous than other dogs, why is it that dobermans and german shepherds had, and lost, the same stigma? and those dogs at least have a history of being bred to be aggressive towards humans.
 
Old 08-06-2009, 06:55 AM
 
7,380 posts, read 15,667,439 times
Reputation: 4975
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Would really prefer that you read the stats I included in the OP before resorting to personal attacks on those who have done their homework.
that guy has done his homework, posting things about pit bulls' "locking jaws"? ok.
 
Old 08-06-2009, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
38,646 posts, read 26,358,386 times
Reputation: 12647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klapton View Post
OK, so BAN the pit bulls!

Uh oh... NOW which dog is at the top of the list?

Ok BAN that one!

Uh oh... There's still a dog at the top of the list!

Ok BAN that one!

Sorry. Your fear is not justification for infringing on the rights of others.


No one has the right to endanger the public.


If pit bulls are responsible for more serious attacks and deaths than any other breed by a large margin (as is the case), why would banning them not reduce that number?

Is your argument that since one dog breed will always be the worse, banning pit bulls will be futile since another less dangerous breed will then be number one?
 
Old 08-06-2009, 07:02 AM
 
Location: nc
1,243 posts, read 2,808,450 times
Reputation: 326
BOOOOO!!!! My stray dog that I took in is part pit and is nothing but a slobber monster. You could tug her tail off and she'd kiss you, (unfortunately she thinks she's a lap dog though). I don't mind people that are afraid of her though just because how she looks, if you don't know my dog I don't want you on my property anyways, as so many people around here feel entitled to trespass, I think she's a great addition to the family.
 
Old 08-06-2009, 07:04 AM
 
7,380 posts, read 15,667,439 times
Reputation: 4975
the "less dangerous breeds" will become more dangerous, because the dog fighters/irresponsible owners will move on to those breeds and start overbreeding and abusing them. it's not just a matter of #2 becoming #1 because #1 is eliminated. the EXACT SAME PROBLEM will ensue with whatever breed bad people move on to. and we'll be hearing about the chow chow's supernatural powers or whatever. unless the pattern is broken, virtually all large breed dogs will be banned.

i have a question for you - did you follow the link a few pages back showing all of the breeds that are mistaken for pit bulls? could you spot the pit bull in the photos? and those were all purebreds. most "pit bulls" are mutts comprised of combinations of any of those breeds.

how about the guy in ohio who had to move rather than lose his BOXER because of his town's pit bull ban? they were going to put down a perfectly friendly boxer because he couldn't prove it wasn't a pit. the dog was tased because police thought he was a pit. that is what people who live in bsl areas who own *any* kind of muscular, short-coated dog with a big head have to look forward to.
 
Old 08-06-2009, 07:09 AM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
38,646 posts, read 26,358,386 times
Reputation: 12647
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
that guy has done his homework, posting things about pit bulls' "locking jaws"? ok.

I was referring to the number of sever attacks and those even resulting in death by this breed. No other breed comes close. I've seen what these dogs do first hand and once or twice a week I get a reminder when I see Trever. Whether their jaws lock or not is irrelevant to the issue. It is a fact that they attack without warning and do more damage than any other breed when they do. That's why idiots want them. It's a status symbol for retards who are capable of rationalizing away all the dangers these animals pose to children and the elderly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:24 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top