Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 02:05 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times

Advertisements

I just wonder what kind of parent would even risk having a dog with a "bad reputation" around their children. Even if you wholeheartedly believe that it's the owner, and not the dog..why would you even take even the smallest risk (on the chance that your theory might be wrong).

I equate it to purchasing a car that is known to be recalled for catching fire or has faulty brakes..even the chance that it might happen would put me off..even if the problem was supposedly corrected, I still wouldn't chance it..I like dependability in pets

Old 04-27-2009, 02:08 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,844,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I just wonder what kind of parent would even risk having a dog with a "bad reputation" around their children. Even if you wholeheartedly believe that it's the owner, and not the dog..why would you even take even the smallest risk (on the chance that your theory might be wrong).

I equate it to purchasing a car that is known to be recalled for catching fire or has faulty brakes..even the chance that it might happen would put me off..even if the problem was supposedly corrected, I still wouldn't chance it..I like dependability in pets
Why would any parent have a dog when they have a child? Children have been brutally attacked by every breed of dog.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:15 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,924,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
I
Pits are cute and fun puppies, but they are vicious killing machines as adult dogs,
More BS and nothing else.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:49 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
I feel too strongly about this subject to leave the discussion even though I am frustrated...I would like to ask how many of the people who believe pitts are time-bombs or inherantly flawed have interacted with them beyond one bad experience? How many of you have actually met more than one pitt, or worked with them? In my experience, pitts are much easier to handle than most small-breeds, and I do work with animals in an emergency setting where their stress/fear is in a heightened state. Rarely do we ever have to muzzle a pitt or pitt mix, but if you looked around the facility, you would see little muzzles hanging from the little dogs cages and bright orange stickers which indicate that they will bite. I understand that pitts are much more powerful than little dogs and can do extensive damage if they choose to, but it is simply untrue that the behavior is inherantly in them. Even a pitt who was rushed in recently and had clearly been neglected (ticks all over him, skinny, and vomiting/bloody runny stool), he responded to our gentle voices and hands, did not snap at anyone, and wagged his poor little tail when we approached him for any reason. Does this sound like a viscious creature about to snap? They are infinitely more forgiving than other creatures, especially humans who base their opinion of an entire breed on what they are fed by the media or what occurred in one isolated incident that affected them personally. Would you decide to hate an entire race of people just because someone from that race beat you up or killed someone? You would have to hate every single person on the planet, because there are lemons in every breed of creature. Think about it. This is dog racism. And it is just as ignorant and unkind as human racism IMO.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:54 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Lets compare it to racial profiling. What if young black men have a bad rep because statisticly that group committed more violent crimes and the media sensationalized brutal crimes committed by young black men. Would you even consider letting your child anywhere near a young black man?

Quote:
I like dependability in pets
All animals have a potential to be dangerous.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I feel too strongly about this subject to leave the discussion even though I am frustrated...I would like to ask how many of the people who believe pitts are time-bombs or inherantly flawed have interacted with them beyond one bad experience? How many of you have actually met more than one pitt, or worked with them? In my experience, pitts are much easier to handle than most small-breeds, and I do work with animals in an emergency setting where their stress/fear is in a heightened state. Rarely do we ever have to muzzle a pitt or pitt mix, but if you looked around the facility, you would see little muzzles hanging from the little dogs cages and bright orange stickers which indicate that they will bite. I understand that pitts are much more powerful than little dogs and can do extensive damage if they choose to, but it is simply untrue that the behavior is inherantly in them. Even a pitt who was rushed in recently and had clearly been neglected (ticks all over him, skinny, and vomiting/bloody runny stool), he responded to our gentle voices and hands, did not snap at anyone, and wagged his poor little tail when we approached him for any reason. Does this sound like a viscious creature about to snap? They are infinitely more forgiving than other creatures, especially humans who base their opinion of an entire breed on what they are fed by the media or what occurred in one isolated incident that affected them personally. Would you decide to hate an entire race of people just because someone from that race beat you up or killed someone? You would have to hate every single person on the planet, because there are lemons in every breed of creature. Think about it. This is dog racism. And it is just as ignorant and unkind as human racism IMO.
Very well put and I do thank you for posting the truth.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:58 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Lets compare it to racial profiling. What if young black men have a bad rep because statisticly that group committed more violent crimes and the media sensationalized brutal crimes committed by young black men. Would you even consider letting your child anywhere near a young black man?

All animals have a potential to be dangerous.

Yep. I had a chunk bitten off of my upper arm by an Arabian (crazy horses...but I still love em ) and my best friends brother was attacked by an ornery rooster when he was young.

All animals have that potential.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:00 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,476,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
In my experience I can't agree. Some dogs are just plain submissive and no amount of egging will get them to be anything else. Every individual dog has its own distinct personality, and just like humans, you can lead them to a fight but some will just run. And some breeds are simply more submissive than others.
Dominance/Submission and Aggression are VERY different things.

The most aggressive dogs I've encountered are little dogs - because their owners don't take the time to socialize them properly, and are afraid of every dog.

My Pit bull tolerates dominance just fine. While play wrestling other dogs, big or small, they seem to take turns submitting. When a dog signals to her to keep away by growling, she backs off. She also tolerates breed-specific behavior, like the nipping that herding dogs do. BUT, if a dog SNAPS at her aggressively (out of fear, or anything else), she steps up and defends herself. I won't train her not to defend herself - got forbid she ever runs away, (though she would likely just go visit a neighbor or the dog park) she should at least be able to keep herself safe until she is found.

I've only seen aggression in small dogs, so anytime a small dog comes into the dog park, I immediately put my dog on-leash until I see what the small dog acts like around other dogs. As soon as I see it snap at ANY dog, we leave the park. They're aggressive 9 times out of 10. It really annoys me that WE have to leave because OTHER owners can't train or socialize their dog.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Yep. I had a chunk bitten off of my upper arm by an Arabian (crazy horses...but I still love em ) and my best friends brother was attacked by an ornery rooster when he was young.

All animals have that potential.
Oh yeah, my parents used to have this crazy rooster who was as mean as all get out and would attack any human that even thought about getting close to him. He was a great protector of the hens but he eventually got stewed because of him being so mean, plus the fact he finally drew blood with someone.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:01 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,476,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Very well put and I do thank you for posting the truth.

WOW, we AGREE on something!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies