Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2009, 06:40 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times

Advertisements

I don't want the breed wiped out. But I do not want one in my neighborhood. I don't even like looking at a Pit Bull.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:53 PM

27 posts, read 115,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Poodles don't kill people.
Ever been attacked by a standard poodle?
I have, I almost lost my arm.

I'm a groomer and I see over 1000 dogs a year, I have never seen a mean or even slightly aggressive pit bull.
The problem is, when you do get a mean one, they are simply too strong to stop.
Not always, but the majority of the time, there is an ignorant, nasty and lazy owner responsible for a dog who attacks.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:06 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
I have been attacked by three dogs in my lifetime.......while riding a bike, not a pleasant experience. A large dog should be treated as a potentially lethal weapon(legally) and the owners dealt with accordingly if there is an unprovoked attack!

Old 06-07-2009, 07:07 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
I've had it with these glassy eyed lunatic Pit Bull owners who simply refuse to understand that their dogs are a danger to all children at all times. Their is no safe Pit Bull ever. How many more times will we need to hear of a baby, small child or senior citizen being ripped to shreads by these ignorant animals before we realize that they cannot be made safe? I propose we ban this most vicious of dog breeds nationwide.

Pit bull kills 7-year-old Minneapolis boy at home

Pit Bull Kills Child in Huntington - WBOY-TV - WBOY.com (http://wboy.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=2866 - broken link)

Pitbull KILLS 12month old in EastPointe MI - February 2009 Birth Club - BabyCenter

Pit bull kills child and injures grandmother | Independent, The (London) | Find Articles at BNET

12-Year-Old Boy Killed By Pit Bull - CBS News

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf (broken link)
Having owned, and I still own, a dog breed that is considered dangerous I disagree, the vast majority of dogs are taught to me agressive. Each breed does have some built in instincts that every owner needs to be aware of and be capable of controlling. Such as a dog breed to fight other dogs should monitored closely when around other dogs they do not know. Some dogs have a natural instinct to guard and protect, but if controlled properly are no more dangerouis than any other dog, possibly less. People have to know what they are getting into when adopting a dog as a family pet. They need to know how to handle the dog properly, they are the ones responsible for the dogs actions in the future, not the dog. I feel for the children but it is the dog own that should be in deep trouble.
Casper

Old 06-07-2009, 07:19 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times
The only time in my life that I have ever been bite by a dog it was a German Shep. I have been around many pit bulls. I have 3 very close friends that owns pit.

Any DOG can be aggressive depending on how you raise it.

I have also known some very mean toy breed dogs. Should we do away with those also?

Old 06-07-2009, 07:20 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
There is but one solution to pit bulls, and other fighting dogs........

LOCK & LOAD.....FIRE!

Old 06-07-2009, 07:25 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,903,605 times
Quote:
I've had it with these glassy eyed lunatic Pit Bull owners who simply refuse to understand that their dogs are a danger to all children at all times. Their is no safe Pit Bull ever. How many more times will we need to hear of a baby, small child or senior citizen being ripped to shreads by these ignorant animals before we realize that they cannot be made safe? I propose we ban this most vicious of dog breeds nationwide.

Pit bull kills 7-year-old Minneapolis boy at home

Pit Bull Kills Child in Huntington - WBOY-TV - WBOY.com (http://wboy.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=2866 - broken link)

Pitbull KILLS 12month old in EastPointe MI - February 2009 Birth Club - BabyCenter

Pit bull kills child and injures grandmother | Independent, The (London) | Find Articles at BNET

12-Year-Old Boy Killed By Pit Bull - CBS News
And the owners in all of these instances should have been charged with capital murder and given the death penalty.
Not too unlike their owners, Pitbulls are dumb and stupid, and should be leashed or hobbled in some fashion so as to not be a threat to the community.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:39 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well I guess it was asking too much to have a reasonable non-partisan discussion about a non-partisan topic.
were you actually expecting one? Here's the stats again...

Old 06-08-2009, 02:21 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotis View Post

I'm a groomer and I see over 1000 dogs a year, I have never seen a mean or even slightly aggressive pit bull.
Not always, but the majority of the time, there is an ignorant, nasty and lazy owner responsible for a dog who attacks.
I'm all for banning ignorant, nasty and lazy owners as well.

People project human traits onto dogs as though dogs think like humans. They don't. They think like dogs. They see the world through a dog's eyes with a dog's perspective. That's not to say they are irrational, their not. But what they are is rational from a dog's point of view. When we hear a story about a child being ripped to shreds by one of these dogs, to the dog its actions were perfectly reasonable.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:09 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotis View Post

Come look at my closest neighbor's pits and you can then say you have seen an aggressive one(or 15) then.

I have dropped more than one of them in my back field with no warning shot and will continue to do so every time I see one on my side of the fence(I have told him to do the same with my Heelers should they cross his line..they don't because they are taken care of properly).....I have no use for them whatsoever and even less tolerance(we have had several attacks in our area) .

As a guy who has NOT seen thousands of dogs a year,I must be in the only area that has meth heads with bad ass pits for protection....Kill 'em all as far as I'm concerned.JMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies