Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2009, 09:15 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Pittbulls are trained by their owners to be aggresive. The owner of a dangerous DOG regardless of it's breed is NO different to the owner of a gun who decides his gun is there to be used as a ferocious weapon in the same way that owners train their pittbulls to be ferocious dogs. Pitballs are NO different to ANY other breed of dog except in the minds of the moronic people who train them to fight or attack.
There are also many documented attacks by pit bulls that were NOT trained to be aggressive. They were family pets that turned on their owners and children. Pit bulls have a natural tendency to be dog aggressive. AND they have a strong terrier personality and they want to be the alpha of their pack. If their human handlers don't constantly maintain their alpha-ness over their pit bulls and pit bull mixes, that's another potential situation for aggressive behaviour. And they also can be provoked by staring children who are at the same eye level as they are. Also the act of running away from a dog like a pit bull will trigger them going into a predator mode.

Also unfixed and unspayed pit bulls and pit bull mixes are particularly prone to becoming aggressive with the right situation and triggers.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:20 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leangk View Post
its not really silly.. saying " because a dog is stronger than some other dogs it is therefore dangerous???"

is a lion not more dangerous than a dog, its stronger. a shark then a fish. if something can do potentially more damage then yes it is potentially more dangerous. thats not silly logic.. thats a fact
So why are you NOT putting ALL strong Dogs on the Dangerous list?
Strength is NOT the issue it's how the Dogs are percieved and trained and the type of people who get these dogs and why. When you find a Pitt Bull fighting ring, the Dogs aren't just released and they attack, they are trained to Attack each other. If ANY dog was trained to attack it would be as dangerous as a Pitbul. If Dobermans, Alsations, Even Labradors were trained to attack they all have the capability of causing horrific damage. A few years back the list of Dogs most put down for attacking people in the UK was headed by I think it was Labradors or Golden retrievers. I do remember thinking at the time how NO dog can really be trusted if trained or kept badly.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:21 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
There are also many documented attacks by pit bulls that were NOT trained to be aggressive. They were family pets that turned on their owners and children. Pit bulls have a natural tendency to be dog aggressive. AND they have a strong terrier personality and they want to be the alpha of their pack. If their human handlers don't constantly maintain their alpha-ness over their pit bulls and pit bull mixes, that's another potential situation for aggressive behaviour. And they also can be provoked by staring children who are at the same eye level as they are. Also the act of running away from a dog like a pit bull will trigger them going into a predator mode.

Also unfixed and unspayed pit bulls and pit bull mixes are particularly prone to becoming aggressive with the right situation and triggers.
My friend had a Boxer that was a loving family pet. It turned on her son and destroyed his face. Pitt bulls are NO different to any other Dog.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:55 AM

221 posts, read 219,177 times
All dogs have the ability to be dangerous. Only a fool would think otherwise.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:01 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambintime View Post
All dogs have the ability to be dangerous.
True enough.

But, only a few breeds have made it to the insurance industries "watch list" - where insurance (liability) can be denied if one of these certain breeds occupies a dwelling.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:03 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
i am sure if i found a civilized society there would be no pit bulls.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
True enough.

But, only a few breeds have made it to the insurance industries "watch list" - where insurance (liability) can be denied if one of these certain breeds occupies a dwelling.
Insurance companies follow trends. When AIDS was first a problem , the insurance companys had a severe knee jerk reaction and had questions about if you have been tested for aids etc. If you had been, even if it was for blood transfusion, you were denied cover or given a massive premium They over reacted and that has now been proven. same with pitbulls. the insurance companys are again over reacting because of the big coverage of pit bulls that has been in the media. Don't quote insurance companys as any kind of reliable reference about anything as all they do is cover their own backs

Old 06-20-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Insurance companies follow trends. Don't quote insurance companys as any kind of reliable reference about anything as all they do is cover their own backs
Well, I have to "quote insurance companies" because, if I want homeowners insurance, or renters insurance, I may not be able to get it if I have a Pit Bull (and several other breeds) in the home.

The above is a FACT.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:04 AM

Oh really? So a dog in the home will stop you getting home owners insurance? Who insures you?

Old 06-20-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Oh really? So a dog in the home will stop you getting home owners insurance? Who insures you?
I said "may".

And yes, there are insurance companies that will not give liability insurance if a Pit (or the other breeds) are in the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies