Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:59 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,849,301 times

Advertisements

CPF wrote;
Quote:
Is it possible for one of the militant libs on here to enter a post without excessive, random caps? Name-calling (that even a 5th grader would be embarrased to use because its so unimaginitive?
Excessive? Let's see I "capped" ridicule and urban legend, hardly excessive. I generally cap things because it's easier than bolding them.

Name calling? Like when you refer to the Speaker of the House as "uber-lefty"?

But thanks for your insightful commentary on the content of the post.

Pot, meet kettle.

golfgod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 12:29 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,732,811 times
Lightbulb ***~***

I am a native Texan and I'm happy I realized at an early age that the best view of Texas is in your rearview mirror.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:01 PM

279 posts, read 415,705 times
If you "are" a Native Texan then from what I can tell you are not doing to good in California. So do not talk about Texas till you look at your own back door.

ROLL UP YOUR SLEEVES & LET THE BATTLE BEGIN
GOD BLESS TEXAS & THE MILITARY

Old 05-20-2009, 01:06 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Unfortunately for Rick (hair-do) Perry, it's pretty universal RIDICULE. Playing to his base at a tea bagging he brought up that Texas might consider seceeding from the union. Apparently he didn't pay attention on the day at school when they covered the URBAN LEGEND that Texas negotiated in the "right to secede" when they became the 28th state.

It's bad enough that Democratic Congressmen from Texas were laughing at him; Gene Green, Solomon Ortiz, and Lloyd Doggett, but even Senator John Cornyn R, a former justice of the Texas Supreme Court had to laugh at him. Rep John Carter, also a Republican and former state district judge also weighed in on Perry having it wrong. In no suprise to anyone Ron Paul took off his tinfoil hat and commented that Perry was right and probably didn't go far enough.

To paraphrase "Kinky" Friedman's bumper sticker when he ran for governor last time, "why not, how the he** hard could the job be".

Now Perry has another "notable" next to his name; he actually made Bush look decent as governor, he's widely known to be Giuliani's bu**-boy (if your former state highway is now a toll-road thank these two for it) and now even his own Congressional delegation is laughing about him.

golfgod
I guess he forgot the reaction of Abraham Lincoln when Texas wanted to leave the Union in the Civil War.

I should imagine Obama just rolls his eyes over things like this and chuckles. Really what more can be said.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:08 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,390 times
I hear the Perry is now claiming he didn't make those statements about secession.

You know, those statements that were played on every newscast in America a few weeks ago. Of course, the "demographic" he's trying to appeal to will take his word that he didn't say it, no matter how many times they see him saying it on TV.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:33 PM

Learn from true history not the yankee's history,

Secession Myths

1. The entire question of secession was settled during the Civil War.
Myth Busted - the application of Federal military might to invade, occupy and forcibly repatriate the Southern states in no way answered the legal question of the legality of secession. In point of fact it can rightly be argued that the Federal government exceeded its delegated powers by using force against a the states.
2. Secession is the same as revolution and revolutions always mean bloodshed.
Myth Busted - A revolution is a change in government, secession is merely a separation of governments, a divorce or a disillusion of a compact.
3. No state have ever seceded anywhere in the world.
Myth Busted - recent examples would include, Montenegro, Lithuania, Estonia, All of the former Soviet Republics, and even Scotland regained some of her sovereignty in 1999 (something she lost in 1805)
4. If one or more of the various states secedes it will likely end up no better than a third world country, isolated, alone and poor.
Myth Busted - Not true, a free Alaska would be Saudi Arabia with snow, California would be the world's 7th largest economy. Other states would of their own choosing form trade alliances and various confederations or even federal unions. The point is these would be on their terms, governemnt of and by the people.
5. The United States was born on the 4th of July 1776, a state has no right to leave.
Myth Busted - The United States was not born in 1776, that was thirteen free and independent colonies shedding the yoke of imperialism. The United States was born with the ratification of the Constitution in 1788, its parents being the free and independent states.
6. If a state were to leave the Union it would mean war, the Federal government would never allow it.
Myth Busted - This myth plays right into the very notion of tyranny and governmental control. If the Federal government were to invade a state seeking to establish self-determination using the very same justification found in the Declaration of Independence would that act in and of itself not be enough to convict the Federal government of tyranny? Governments are supposed to do what the people allow, not the other way around.
7. Secession is treason, secessionist are traitors.
Myth Busted - The love of one's state is not treason, loyalty to one's home is not treason. The belief in government of and by the people is not treason. The belief in the 10th Amendment to the Constitution reserving all rights not specifically delegated to the Federal government to the States and People is not treason. Tyranny, oppression and perversion and usurpation of the Constitution is treasonous.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:42 PM

Do not forget that the Military takes an oath to the U.S.Constitution to protect it at all costs, not to the President or to the Federal Government . If the States that are thinking of seceding and it is done according to the U.S. Constitution, the Military will not & shall not take up arms against them.
This is all in the U.S Constitution. I will give you more proof if you need it,because the U. S. Constitution says it all.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:54 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,846,873 times
Glad to see Gov. Perry getting slapped around for his vote pandering.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:09 PM

I beg to differ, he actually has made alot of us native born Texans proud of him . It is the democrats who are upset not a lot of the Texans.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:56 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,846,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsgun View Post
I beg to differ, he actually has made alot of us native born Texans proud of him . It is the democrats who are upset not a lot of the Texans.

I'm sure he made some proud and embarrassed others. I doubt you speak for most Texans and if Texas seceeded I bet "most" would seceed from Texas and move back to the good old USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies