Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 09:15 AM

3,735 posts, read 2,560,555 times

Advertisements

Alabama man, in a perverse (& criminal) political statement, was recently caught removing a flag from a Confederate soldiers' grave. He stated he doesn't want his child growing up in a community "tainted by painful relics".
Always kills me that Confederate-haters typically, and selectively, demonize Confederates. They'll walk pass the graves & monuments to Revolutionary War & Mexican War veterans, who owned slaves; pass the memorialized War of 1812 veterans, who put up a fierce defense of slavery against the British (Brits were enticing slaves onto their ships to use as mercenaries). They'll pass the graves of some WW1 & WW2 vets who were fierce segregationists.. and go solely to desecrating (and/or vandalizing) the graves of Confederates.

My opinion, selective demonization of Confederates is emotionally sick and intellectually myopic (or ignorant).. especially when the bigots are grimy enough to bother tombstones.

Confederate flags removed by Attorney Penn - Union Springs Herald: News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 04:35 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
This clown is going to be a hero to many.. It won't be long before we have people posting here talking about 'treason' and 'racism' and condemning the South with all kinds of trash talk. Nevertheless, the men in those graves, have the right to be remembered under the banner they fought and died for. Their posterity has the right to place those banners on their graves as well. Some people won't like it...but, oh well. They were soldiers of the Confederacy, remembering them as such is proper......and protected under the Constitution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I actually agree. As much as I hate the confederate flag and everything it stands for (like the confederacy), this goes too far. They did die for their "country" and their descendents want to decorate their graves as such. No harm in that. Besides, it is kind of like desecrating a burial site. He needs to lay off.
absolutely right!! these men put on their countries uniform, and fought for their country and died in battle, and thus are part of the honored dead. in my opinion anyone that puts on their countries uniform, regardless of what country that is, and fights for their country, and dies in the line of duty should be held in high honor and respected. and their graves should never be desecrated by some idiot who has some twisted sense of what should or should not be.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:51 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
I am a northerner and have never felt any kind of offence to the confederate flag. The Civil War was part of our history. To remove the little flags from a grave doesn't change that fact. It doesn't make he who lies beneath any less of a confederate, and it doesn't make him any less of an American.

It's pretty petty to have a problem with that. Can't that councilman find something actually constructive to do with his life than to hold so tightly to something that happened in history and he can't do anything about?
^^^

I agree.

If a soldier was a Confederate veteran they do not deserve to have their graves desecrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies