Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 01:04 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,293,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I would say that you are comparing apples to bananas when you talk about that situation at Kent State to any of the Tea Parties? Were you at a Tea Party to know the difference in behavior at the two situations? I think not but you do want to take the word of the MSM about them and the same MSM just never told the story about Kent State in the days before the shooting.

Lets insert something else here. How would you like to be in a group of under 30 mostly teenagers being threatened by 10,000 rioters? Have you ever thought about that?
If Nixon were president now, them teabaggers would be shot dead.

Republicans at the time valued the "order" part of "law and order" over the law part.

Can't remember if the Attica shootings came before or after Kent State.

It was Rockafeller and Kissinger's country at the time.

They got really pissed when they saw that hippi poster that said, "Who needs money?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 01:08 PM

1,489 posts, read 2,030,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
That was arguably one of the saddest days in American history, what really bothers me is that I do not believe it will be the last time I see the American Military used against the citizens.
Gosh. You really think that was one of the saddest days in American History?

You must humour me. Give me your top list. I only thought of 4, but if you think Kent State and that unfourtunate situation was one of the saddest days in American History...go for it.

To make it fun, I'll give mine.

Beginning of the Civil War

End of the Civil War

Pearl Harbor

9-11

Your turn.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
If Nixon were president now, them teabaggers would be shot dead.

Republicans at the time valued the "order" part of "law and order" over the law part.

Can't remember if the Attica shootings came before or after Kent State.

It was Rockafeller and Kissinger's country at the time.

They got really pissed when they saw that hippi poster that said, "Who needs money?"

Doubt that people assembling as they were on 4/15 would have been shot.

Keep thinking otherwise.

It only makes things clearer to the avg American. And there is one.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:18 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,239,057 times
omle, obviously you know nothing about Kent, even though there are links to the murders in this very thread.

Yeah, it's a-ok to be shot in the back while you're walking to class.
By your country's military, no less.
You make a good republican, that's for sure.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:35 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,821,491 times
unbelievable how time flies by; I remember Kent State well and how terribly stunned, shocked and outraged so many people were.....isn't it amazing that we all may not remember exactly what we had for dinner, say two nights ago, or what we were doing 6-months ago, but something like Kent State, we can remember so clearly, well, at least those of "us" 60's+ kids" who were so aware of the times, events and social climate.

Perhaps what is more stunning, in reality, is the fact that no matter how significant a situation is or has been, the world simply does not stop for us. I trust in some ways Waco or Virginia Tech or the Oklahoma bombing will be as powerful a memory as Kent State was...perhaps Kent State and even Waco a bit more because it had to do law enforcement agencies killing......

Old 05-04-2009, 01:47 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,212,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
It started with the bombing of Cambodia.
An illegal incursion into a sovereign country.
Sound familiar?
There was also the matter of 50,000 American kids dead and the draft, lottery.

I knew Kent very well at that time.

You seem to like to talk about things you know nothing about.
After all, you're the one who made the comparison.
I think it started when a group of students decided they had the right to keep another group from working their way through school. The "restricted" group were doing tests on weapons for the Army. Some people didn't think they had a right to do that and the thing got going and got out of hand like so many supposedly peaceful demonstrations of the time did.

Can you compare the original riot of this thread to that one? Numbers? destruction of property? Time of the whole thing? Since you know so much about Kent then you ought to be able to make that comparison.

Using bombing of Cambodia sounds like liberal professor reasoning.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:51 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,239,057 times
roy, you're wrong.
I think you need to brush up on some facts.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
omle, obviously you know nothing about Kent, even though there are links to the murders in this very thread.

Yeah, it's a-ok to be shot in the back while you're walking to class.
By your country's military, no less.
You make a good republican, that's for sure.
It must be comforting to be an old hippie.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:47 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,212,332 times
Quote:
roy, you're wrong.
I think you need to brush up on some facts.
I got all my info back in the day from reading. How did you get yours?

Old 05-04-2009, 08:21 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I think it started when a group of students decided they had the right to keep another group from working their way through school. The "restricted" group were doing tests on weapons for the Army. Some people didn't think they had a right to do that and the thing got going and got out of hand like so many supposedly peaceful demonstrations of the time did.

Can you compare the original riot of this thread to that one? Numbers? destruction of property? Time of the whole thing? Since you know so much about Kent then you ought to be able to make that comparison.

Using bombing of Cambodia sounds like liberal professor reasoning.
What the ??? Here is an interesting article by some Kent State profs:

http://dept.kent.edu/sociology/lewis/lewihen.htm

Here is Wikipedia's account, roughly similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies