Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 02:12 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

to be fair european americans tip well. many in the world dont. european americans have a generous charitable tradition.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:14 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,086 times
Oh and back to the original topic, Based on personal experience - 3 years working restaurants as a bus boy & waiter in Cleveland, OH - blacks on average are poor tippers.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:21 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
This is racist
So is it OK for Aretha Franklin to demand a black waiter?

Old 04-27-2009, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I worked in retail for many years and learned not to stereotype.
It's not the same thing.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:26 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
If the wait staff were'nt working for tips and being paid an equivilant salary instead the additional cost of there labor would be baked into the price of your meal (no pun intended). So the price of your meal from the restauarant is reduced due to the lower labor costs the restaurant pays the staff. The staff takes the lower wages knowing they will get tips.
And therein lies the problem. They don't know that they will get tips. Again, if tipping is supposed to be mandatory, then it should be added to the bill.

Also, if we're required to tip, then we just end up paying for the supposed higher food prices in a different way. I'd rather just pay the higher food prices and see the employees paid at least the minimum wage.

Quote:
When you do not tip for good service alls you are doing is taking advantage of the arrangement and screwing the staff. Basically your being an cheap, self centered, A-hole and trying to justify it by claiming the tip is "optional"

I pretty sure its in the Bible, Koran and Torah that non-tippers will burn in hell.
At least you're rational about it.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Well if we're required to tip, then we just end up paying for that supposed increase in the prices in a different way. I'd prefer to pay the higher prices for the food. I think that old line is a canard anyway.

At least you're rational about it.
That's right, you are paying for it. Like another poster if you can't afford to eat at a place that is bill + 15-20% for a tip, go eat somwhere where you can afford that. Its part of the cost you should expect to pay when you dine out. Not tipping for good service is mooching off the way the restuarant business works.

(And Sorry I forgot to put the winky thing next to the burn in hell)

Old 04-27-2009, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Judging anyone based solely on the color of their skin is wrong, not to mention arbitrary. I mean, why not judge someone on the color of their hair or their "handedness"; makes about as much sense to me. That is completely opposite of what the article, video and comments was conveying. There is a very prevalent belief system amongst the server community, that blacks do not tip well. Anecdotally, even black servers often refuse to wait on black customers as they "know" that they'll either be stiffed or tipped very poorly. Back in the heyday of the Chicago Bulls, Michael Jordan's sidekick, Scottie Pippen was known amongst the restaurant/nightclub scene in Chicago as "No Tippin Pippen", now he was making over 10 million a year, so finances were not the issue.
That's funny you should mention that. I've waited on a number of Detroit's black sport celebrities (Terry Mills, Willie Horton, Thomas Hearns). All are millionares and dine out constantly, but can't remember ever getting a decent tip from any of them. In fact, I don't know anyone who has. Al Kaline and Bob Probert tip great! What's up with that?

Old 04-27-2009, 02:39 AM

Quote:
That's right, you are paying for it. Like another poster if you can't afford to eat at a place that is bill + 15-20% for a tip, go eat somwhere where you can afford that. Its part of the cost you should expect to pay when you dine out. Not tipping for good service is mooching off the way the restuarant business works.

(And Sorry I forgot to put the winky thing next to the burn in hell)
Oh. Well, that's good to hear. I didn't think you were really that nutty.

Anyway, I never said that I don't tip. I said I hate the tipping system, but I tip anyway because it's expected. I think it's a dumb system for compensating restaurant wait staff. If anyone's "mooching", it's the restaurant associations who are mooching off of the customers because they don't wan't to pay their employees the minimum wage. THAT is cheap.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Oh. Well, that's good to hear. I didn't think you were really that nutty.

Anyway, I never said that I don't tip. I said I hate the tipping system, but I tip anyway because it's expected. I think it's a dumb system for compensating restaurant wait staff. If anyone's "mooching", it's the restaurant associations who are mooching off of the customers because they don't wan't to pay their employees the minimum wage. THAT is cheap.
Actually it works out ok for the staff. I always made better then minimum when my tips were added in and on Weekend nights you could make really good money (for a 21 year old). I've know & worked with several "career" waiters who waited tables for decades and they made real good money - even at a casual chain like Chi-Chi's.

I'd be willing to bet if tipping was'nt around the restuarants would just pay the legal minimum wage and the staff (and service/experience for customers) would be much worse off.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Actually it works out ok for the staff. I always made better then minimum when my tips were added in and on Weekend nights you could make really good money (for a 21 year old). I've know & worked with several "career" waiters who waited tables for decades and they made real good money - even at a casual chain like Chi-Chi's.
Yes, and that's wonderful. I just think it's irrational for a waiter to go crazy if he doesn't get the tip he deserves. When you become a waiter, you sign up for the job knowing that the income will vary, and that tips are not guaranteed.

Quote:
I'd be willing to bet if tipping was'nt around the restuarants would just pay the legal minimum wage and the staff (and service/experience for customers) would be much worse off.
I don't think that would be the case. The structure of hiring and firing employees would change, yes, but if anything, I believe the service would be better, and that wait staff would be happier. Restaurants can operate like almost every other service industry. If an employee is not doing a satisfactory job, he can be fired.

I just can't get excited and enthused about the tipping system. I think the customers and the employees get the shaft. The only ones who benefit are the restaurant managers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies