Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 03:05 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times

Advertisements

From a NY Times opinion piece a few years ago:
Michael Lynn, an associate professor of consumer behavior and marketing at Cornell's School of Hotel Administration, has conducted dozens of studies of tipping and has concluded that consumers' assessments of the quality of service correlate weakly to the amount they tip.

Rather, customers are likely to tip more in response to servers touching them lightly and crouching next to the table to make conversation than to how often their water glass is refilled - in other words, customers tip more when they like the server, not when the service is good. (Mr. Lynn's studies also indicate that male customers increase their tips for female servers while female customers increase their tips for male servers.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/10/op..._r=1&th&emc=th

Old 04-27-2009, 03:26 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,465,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't think that would be the case. The structure of hiring and firing employees would change, yes, but if anything, I believe the service would be better, and that wait staff would be happier. Restaurants can operate like almost every other service industry. If an employee is not doing a satisfactory job, he can be fired.
Given the level of customer service out there today - particularly at retail taht's a real scary thought. I'd have to learn to cook & never eat out agan if that came true!

I know from personal experience that I was motivated by tips. The op-ed may have said a study purported that people don't tip based on service, but I never believed it when I was waiting tables! I always hustled. I think most other servers believe it as well and hence give better service then you see in many other retail & service outlets.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:48 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Hmm. I don't usually have a problem with service. In fact, I generally prefer to be left alone when I'm in a store. I prefer to find things on my own, and if I need help, I'll let them know.

I guess a lot of it just comes down to personal preference. We have no shortage of options, of course. There's plenty of restaurants with good food and no wait staff, and those work for me most of the time. I don't need a slave to bring me my dinner.

One more article about tipping citing research that tips have little to do with the actual service you receive:
Tipping relieves guilt more than it provides incentive. - Jun. 5, 2003
...as Americans we're neurotic, guilt-prone, and we don't want to be thought of as cheap or ignorant. At least those are some of the reasons that Cornell professor Michael Lynn has found in his 20 years of research on tipping behavior.

"The major reason people tip," said Lynn, "is to avoid social disapproval."

In fact, Lynn, found that how customers rate service has a very small effect on the amount they choose to tip in restaurants. About 4 percent of the variability in tip size is due to their rating of the service provider, his research revealed. That's the same level of variability that the sun has on tip size. (Folks tend to tip more on sunny days.)

Old 04-27-2009, 04:15 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2flyy View Post
The entire philosophy of tipping shows how stupid society is....
First it should be completely voluntary, if you feel like someone gave you excellent service in whatever field it is your choice to tip or not tip

It is not the responsibility of the CUSTOMER to pay the Employee's salary
It is the Company's responsibility. And the fact that Companies have smartly passed that responsibility/burden off to customers. And the CUSTOMER actually feel entitled to do it. Again shows how stupid society is....

I refuse to order at establishments that "require" tips. It is insane.
And please stop it with the age old bulls*it rationalization that Waiters, etc... are not being paid enough!
What! who fault is that? The company should pay them more not me

I wonder why people don't have that same mentality to Janitors, fast food workers and other low paying jobs.

It is the debate i have with people the most and it is insane how stupid people are....

Like I said it is your business/choice to tip the bellhop, waitress, cab driver whomever you want to. But it should not be a requirement and/or you should not be looked down upon if you choose not to

Your bringing Business and money to a certain establishment should be enough....
I just can't read any more posts on this thread but you nailed it my friend. Required tipping is a ridiculous concept.

- Reel

Old 04-27-2009, 04:32 AM

870 posts, read 1,626,757 times
yes they are terrible tippers and the video shows their attitude towards tipping. it should come as no surprise that they expect a service and not pay for it should it? most of you are just typing your Politically correct bullcrap....but i am not. they are awful tippers!!

Old 04-27-2009, 05:52 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Oh. Well, that's good to hear. I didn't think you were really that nutty.

Anyway, I never said that I don't tip. I said I hate the tipping system, but I tip anyway because it's expected. I think it's a dumb system for compensating restaurant wait staff. If anyone's "mooching", it's the restaurant associations who are mooching off of the customers because they don't wan't to pay their employees the minimum wage. THAT is cheap.
Most waitstaff that I've worked with over the years generally take home about $20/hr depending. If you are looking for a minimum wage earner to wait on you, I don't think you're going to like the service very much. The point to tipping is to reward the pros and encourage the slouches to find a new line of work. When I waited tables I worked my butt off, but I was well rewarded for my efforts. The kids never got it. They would go through the motions and wonder why the veteran staff made so much more. It's a skilled position.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:08 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Hmm. I don't usually have a problem with service. In fact, I generally prefer to be left alone when I'm in a store. I prefer to find things on my own, and if I need help, I'll let them know.

I guess a lot of it just comes down to personal preference. We have no shortage of options, of course. There's plenty of restaurants with good food and no wait staff, and those work for me most of the time. I don't need a slave to bring me my dinner.

One more article about tipping citing research that tips have little to do with the actual service you receive:
Tipping relieves guilt more than it provides incentive. - Jun. 5, 2003
...as Americans we're neurotic, guilt-prone, and we don't want to be thought of as cheap or ignorant. At least those are some of the reasons that Cornell professor Michael Lynn has found in his 20 years of research on tipping behavior.

"The major reason people tip," said Lynn, "is to avoid social disapproval."

In fact, Lynn, found that how customers rate service has a very small effect on the amount they choose to tip in restaurants. About 4 percent of the variability in tip size is due to their rating of the service provider, his research revealed. That's the same level of variability that the sun has on tip size. (Folks tend to tip more on sunny days.)

Dining out isn't just about eating. It's entertainment. My deal was always an extremely dry sence of humor, maybe clearing my throat if I didn't like something they ordered. It's all about leaving the driving to someone else. If you ever get to know career waitstaff on a personal level you'll find they're very non-linear in their thinking. I still find waitstaff to be some of the most interesting people on the planet.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:08 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,562,859 times
I worked as a bartender through out college.

Its common knowledge that
- Blacks are the worse Tippers
- Gays are the best Tippers

Old 04-27-2009, 07:11 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,246,905 times
Europeans are the worst tippers.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:20 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,562,859 times
interesting video on blacks tipping.

YouTube - MOST BLK FEMS ARE BAD TIPPERS... ( Esp, If The Wait Server Is A WHITE FEMALE )

Like the video states, A lot of it is around the fact that Blacks often do not know or aware about tipping and its rules as they are more likely to have take out instead of sitting down in a restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies