Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 08:22 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
AMEN! I totally agree and I often feel obligated to tip when I'm with friends as they are pro-tipping. Frankly, tipping should be done if service is over and beyond the bare minimum. Why should I have to tip if my waiter/waitress doesn't even bother to check on me to see if I need a refill, etc? If tipping were merit-based, imagine the higher quality of service we would receive as opposed to the bare minimum in today's restaurants? Oh ... and I'm saying this as a white woman.
I appreciate you for being honest. And you are 100% right. I guess for me, being black, I already read and heard that blacks tend to be bad tippers, but my attitude was what I said in my post, statistically we earn less than whites, so that would make sense. Then again it gotta be something behind reporting it. It just gets me how on one hand my people are doing this, then on the other hand we aren't doing that. It gets to the point where you just throw up your hands with two middle fingers, excuse my pun.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:30 PM

450 posts, read 502,892 times
I see you alls points I do think it is a culture thing. Some cultures buy into things that make no sense and others question that same thing.

It makes no sense for me to be "Required" to tip someone for doing "their" jobs. That is what they are supposed to do
Many times I have tipped way over 15% or whatever just because someone won me over with their service. I love great people and i dont mind tipping. Its just its crazy that society sees it as an obligation.

Recently I went to lunch with co-workers at a popular restaurants and my order was about $50 (for steak) about 5x more than everyone else's orders. And i ended up tipping like 3 dollars.
And this white girl with our party actually got offended that i did not tip 15%
We literally argued all the way back to work
My order brought 10 times more money to that restuarant than her $5 salad, yet she's nearly in tears proclaming people like me are ruining the restaurant business.

I wasnt surprised as I've have the debate quite a few times. I am one of the few blacks at the corporation I work for. And I am always the only black when I go out to lunch with a group. And I have gotten into this debate more times than i can count

Old 04-26-2009, 08:53 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,084 times
From most of the comments here it's apparent that most didn't watch the video or read the comments below it. Just to repeat, it's a black website and overwhelmingly black posters. i thought that it would be interesting to read about this topic from their perspective. I suggest that if time is limited, ignore the original article, scroll down to the video (a must) and read the comments below.

To those that said blacks make less; I don't get the point. The woman in the video dropped $130 on dinner and tipped $8, which has to be shared between waiter, food runner, bus boy and bartender.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:06 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,677 times
I usually tip 15% if the service was standard and I thought I was a nice guy doing this because I grew up thinking 10% was the norm.

I tip more than 15% if the service is excellent, I'll forgo a percentage and give about $25.00 if my bill is under $100.00.

My sister who is definitely in a higher income bracket than myself recently explained 15-20% should be the norm and to tip accordingly, which I now take into consideration.

Lastly that tramp in the video is the type that makes you want to apologize to people you don't even know!!

Old 04-26-2009, 09:10 PM

450 posts, read 502,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
From most of the comments here it's apparent that most didn't watch the video or read the comments below it. Just to repeat, it's a black website and overwhelmingly black posters. i thought that it would be interesting to read about this topic from their perspective. I suggest that if time is limited, ignore the original article, scroll down to the video (a must) and read the comments below.

To those that said blacks make less; I don't get the point. The woman in the video dropped $130 on dinner and tipped $8, which has to be shared between waiter, food runner, bus boy and bartender.
I just read the blog and ive seen that video before and i dont see how anyone's argument changes.
It still proves that blacks are looked down upon for not being as stupid (in this area) as other cultures for our disagreement with the craziness of "tipping"

The funny thing is EVERYONE i come across whom is not black disagree with me
BUT NOBODY mans up and take the challange when I tell them to TIP everywhere!
Wal-mart, mcdonalds, salesmen, online orders, jcpenny's EVERYWHERE!

Everytime you order something or buy or use a service give a 15% tip! everytime!
If tipping is soooo "the right thing to do" TIP EVERYWHERE

i win the debate right there EVERYTIME

Its funny to me how sensible people (white people) see the craziness and idiocy of tipping EVERYWHERE but they do not see that being required to TIP ANYWHERE is just as crazy....

Last edited by y2flyy; 04-26-2009 at 09:21 PM..

Old 04-26-2009, 09:15 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2flyy View Post
The entire philosophy of tipping shows how stupid society is....
First it should be completely voluntary, if you feel like someone gave you excellent service in whatever field it is your choice to tip or not tip

It is not the responsibility of the CUSTOMER to pay the Employee's salary
It is the Company's responsibility. And the fact that Companies have smartly passed that responsibility/burden off to customers. And the CUSTOMER actually feel entitled to do it. Again shows how stupid society is....

I refuse to order at establishments that "require" tips. It is insane.
And please stop it with the age old bulls*it rationalization that Waiters, etc... are not being paid enough!
What! who fault is that? The company should pay them more not me

I wonder why people don't have that same mentality to Janitors, fast food workers and other low paying jobs.

It is the debate i have with people the most and it is insane how stupid people are....

Like I said it is your business/choice to tip the bellhop, waitress, cab driver whomever you want to. But it should not be a requirement and/or you should not be looked down upon if you choose not to

Your bringing Business and money to a certain establishment should be enough....
Good on you, man! We are totally in sync on this subject. I absolutely hate the tipping system. I'm ashamed to admit that I do tip anyway, but it's only out of social pressure to do so.

I probably would have posted the exact same things you just said if you hadn't posted them first, so I won't repeat them. I will say that I also like to avoid restaurants where tipping is expected.

If you feel you must tip in a restaurant, 15% is the standard. Don't fall for that line about "20% in a big city". That's ridiculous. The prices of food in a restaurant are often higher in a big city, so you're already going to end giving out more of a tip than you would in a smaller city. If the wait staff goes way out of his or her way to help you and you really feel like giving a little more, then go ahead, but not more than 20%.

Also, don't calculate your tip based on the total that includes taxes; tip only based on the price of what you ordered. You have to make a mental note of this when they bring you the original receipt because when they bring the credit card receipt for you to sign, all you see is that total including taxes.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Nah, we're too lazy for that. It's more fun to just vent.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
I just read the blog and ive seen that video before and i dont see how anyone's argument changes.
It still proves that blacks are looked down upon for not being as stupid (in this area) as other cultures for our disagreement with the craziness of "tipping"

The funny thing is EVERYONE i come across whom is not black disagree with me
BUT NOBODY mans up and take the challange when I tell them to TIP everywhere!
Wal-mart, mcdonalds, salesmen, online orders, jcpenny's EVERYWHERE!
every time you order something or buy or use a service give a 15% tip! everytime!
If tipping is soooo "the right thing to do" TIP EVERYWHERE

i win the debate right there EVERYTIME

Its funny to me how sensible people (white people) see the craziness and idiocy of tipping EVERYWHERE but do not see that being required to TIP anywhere is not just as crazy....
Apparently you have never heard of the service industry. The jobs that you listed are salaried/hourly position. Servers in many states make $2.13/hr, which barely covers the taxes, so their tips are their total income. You are paying for the privilege of being seated and having someone wait on you hand and foot. You're not expected to tip at McDonalds, but you are at Chili's. I don't get how you can't see the difference. And again, if you read the comments in the link I provided 99% of the posters disagree with you and they, like you, happen to be black.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Its funny to me how sensible people (white people) see the craziness and idiocy of tipping EVERYWHERE but they do not see that being required to TIP ANYWHERE is just as crazy....
Another crazy thing (to me): Wait staff who become indignant if they don't receive the tip they feel they deserve. They act as if they are owed a certain amount simply for doing the basics.

Is anyone forcing them to work as a waiter? If they want to be guaranteed a certain wage, they really should consider taking a job that pays what they believe they're worth. Otherwise, this whole tipping system just leads to harsh feelings, in my opinion.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Good on you, man! We are totally in sync on this subject. I absolutely hate the tipping system. I'm ashamed to admit that I do tip anyway, but it's only out of social pressure to do so.

I probably would have posted the exact same things you just said if you hadn't posted them first, so I won't repeat them. I will say that I also like to avoid restaurants where tipping is expected.

If you feel you must tip in a restaurant, 15% is the standard. Don't fall for that line about "20% in a big city". That's ridiculous. The prices of food in a restaurant are often higher in a big city, so you're already going to end giving out more of a tip than you would in a smaller city. If the wait staff goes way out of his or her way to help you and you really feel like giving a little more, then go ahead, but not more than 20%.

Also, don't calculate your tip based on the total that includes taxes; tip only based on the price of what you ordered. You have to make a mental note of this when they bring you the original receipt because when they bring the credit card receipt for you to sign, all you see is that total including taxes.
That is a logical response. There are many, many quality qsr's (quick service restaurants) where no tip is expected, i.e Panera Bread, Chipotle, Zaxby's, etc. however, when one chooses, and it is obviously a choice, to go into a full service restaurant, where they have to do nothing but point to a picture on amenu and everything will be brought to you with a smile, and that person is making minimum wage, or below, a tip is expected. Obviously poor service is a different matter all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies