Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2009, 04:35 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
You know it would send a definite message to anyone if they walked in a restaurant and were seated and left waiting for 20 minutes, had to complain to get service, all the while watching others seated after them, and ordering meals. It wouldn't have to be a black or white issue either, maybe they didn't like out of towners, it doesn't really matter what it was because anything that makes a customer feel unwelcome in a restaurant sends a definite message, and I wouldn't have stayed where I wasn't welcome. I most certainly would not eat the food they prepared in the kitchen being suspicious of what they were doing to my order behind closed doors.
You are absolutely right and I regret the fact that we stayed at this establishment because it was painfully obvious that we were being deliberately ignored by waitstaff.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:38 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
I am really surprised to learn that someone has actually made a concerted effort to analyze how black people tip.

When I was dating my husband who is European he didn't understand the concept of tipping 15% or 20% on a meal. It was something so foreign and ridiculous to him. So I had to inform him of American dining customs.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:40 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,414,166 times
Quote:
You know it would send a definite message to anyone if they walked in a restaurant and were seated and left waiting for 20 minutes, had to complain to get service, all the while watching others seated after them, and ordering meals. It wouldn't have to be a black or white issue either, maybe they didn't like out of towners, it doesn't really matter what it was because anything that makes a customer feel unwelcome in a restaurant sends a definite message, and I wouldn't have stayed where I wasn't welcome. I most certainly would not eat the food they prepared in the kitchen being suspicious of what they were doing to my order behind closed doors.
I still don't see what this one instance has to do with the topic. You keep harping on it as if it proves some kind of point. OMG one person one time got bad service, most likely not as bad as their making it out to be. So I guess you should never tip again huh? have fun eating spit for the rest of your restaurant experiences!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
It isn't the diners fault that restaurant owners don't pay well and that the government taxes on tips! Those are the folks you should be directing your anger towards. As far as I (and many other folks) are concerned, tips should be reserved for over and above service, not minimum or poor service. Anyone who chooses a profession that relies on tips to make a living had better hustle and exceed their customers' satisfaction.
Hey you can believe what tips should be all you want, thats your prerogative. But you are in fact wrong when it comes to how tips ARE. In America, tips are a part of societal etiquette. You can not like it all you want, its just how it is. So you in fact deserved the bad service you got, and really never deserve any kind of service again. Don't be surprised when servers add on automatic gratuity to your check and don't tell you about it. Hey theres no law they have to tell you that, so why not try to snag some cash from some ignorant cheap ***?
Quote:
Where's the law that states you must tip your server?

Show me the regulation.
What in the world in my post made you think theres a law that says you have to tip? Specifically, what about me saying you don't have to tip, makes you think theres a law that you have to leave a tip? Are you really this blind? Or is it a comprehension disorder you have? Again, feel free to stiff all the servers you want if it makes you feel better about yourself. Just know that you are a bad person for doing so. Really you should have figured this out by now... What a stupid thing to say.

Quote:
You are absolutely right and I regret the fact that we stayed at this establishment because it was painfully obvious that we were being deliberately ignored by waitstaff.
Yeah you made the mistake of staying there, you really shouldn't go out to eat all seeing as how you have no concept of etiquette.

Quote:
I am really surprised to learn that someone has actually made a concerted effort to analyze how black people tip.

When I was dating my husband who is European he didn't understand the concept of tipping 15% or 20% on a meal. It was something so foreign and ridiculous to him. So I had to inform him of American dining customs.
No one has to make an effort to figure out black people are bad tippers, you just figure it out as you work. You don't think we know how much someone tipped us? Like are you really that uninformed?

And in Europe, they ahve crazy high food prices because servers get paid a large hourly amount, which is why they don't tip. We could do that here you know, but it would be the same as you tipping 20% every time you go out, which I can tell you would hate and most likely not be able to afford. But thats what they had to do because cheap ***es like you ruined the understanding between servers and customers/

Old 07-28-2009, 04:41 PM

@ nickeldude...

Is it the fact that black people are lousy tippers or that they don't leave any tip at all?

Because quite frankly, being left something is better than nothing at all, don't you think?

Just because you believe that tip to be less than adequate for what you THINK you deserved means nothing.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:42 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
They are either really really bad or really really good. Rarely did I encounter a middle of the road black tipper.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:44 PM

O.K. so some bad, some good. Same with white people, same with Asians, same with the green people. So the point of this entire thread is what?

Old 07-28-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
You have no idea why it took a while to take your order, it could have just been an honest mistake. And you say 20 minutes, but you could be lying, as most customers do when detailing how long they've been waiting. I doubt you looked at your watch the second you sat down, no one does. Again, you're ignorant to these facts because you've never worked in a restaurant before.

The reason tipping isn't mandatory ( in some restaurants) is because the public is actually trusted into being mature and considerate people. If everyone agreed with you, they would just do away with tips and jack up food prices to account for the hourly wage servers would have to start making. Then again, some restaurants add 20% gratuity onto every check because of people like you.

Yeah they should have left if they felt the service was inadequate, instead they saw it as a chance to save some money by stiffing an innocent waiter.

Yes, this is one instance that has nothing to do with what were talking about. I mean your black friend wanted to leave a tip one time, so that means all black people are amazing tippers? No. Again, you don't know what you're talking about cuz you've never worked in a restaurant before.
And I sure as heck do not want to ever work in a restaurant with the entitlement mentality that many servers display over tips. A restaurant is not a charity and us diners are not required to leave you any donations towards your tax bills. Basically, you want tips, EARN it! Anyone who leaves a tip for average or subpar service is being a fool. I have gone to many restaurants and have received excellent service which I rewarded my servers accordingly.

Regarding my dining experience in Florida, if there were extenuating circumstances as to why me and my friend were waiting, the waiter/waitress should have apologized for the delay or at least acknowledged it. We called out several times to other waiters who walked right past us without any acknowledgement. Regarding the 20 minute wait, I was wrong. It was 20 minutes after we started timing it so it was actually longer than 20 minutes.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
I still don't see what this one instance has to do with the topic. You keep harping on it as if it proves some kind of point. OMG one person one time got bad service, most likely not as bad as their making it out to be. So I guess you should never tip again huh? have fun eating spit for the rest of your restaurant experiences!

Hey you can believe what tips should be all you want, thats your prerogative. But you are in fact wrong when it comes to how tips ARE. In America, tips are a part of societal etiquette. You can not like it all you want, its just how it is. So you in fact deserved the bad service you got, and really never deserve any kind of service again. Don't be surprised when servers add on automatic gratuity to your check and don't tell you about it. Hey theres no law they have to tell you that, so why not try to snag some cash from some ignorant cheap ***?

What in the world in my post made you think theres a law that says you have to tip? Specifically, what about me saying you don't have to tip, makes you think theres a law that you have to leave a tip? Are you really this blind? Or is it a comprehension disorder you have? Again, feel free to stiff all the servers you want if it makes you feel better about yourself. Just know that you are a bad person for doing so. Really you should have figured this out by now... What a stupid thing to say.

Yeah you made the mistake of staying there, you really shouldn't go out to eat all seeing as how you have no concept of etiquette.

No one has to make an effort to figure out black people are bad tippers, you just figure it out as you work. You don't think we know how much someone tipped us? Like are you really that uninformed?

And in Europe, they ahve crazy high food prices because servers get paid a large hourly amount, which is why they don't tip. We could do that here you know, but it would be the same as you tipping 20% every time you go out, which I can tell you would hate and most likely not be able to afford. But thats what they had to do because cheap ***es like you ruined the understanding between servers and customers/
What restaurant do you work at? I'd love to know so I can avoid that establishment.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
And in Europe, they ahve crazy high food prices because servers get paid a large hourly amount, which is why they don't tip. We could do that here you know, but it would be the same as you tipping 20% every time you go out, which I can tell you would hate and most likely not be able to afford. But thats what they had to do because cheap ***es like you ruined the understanding between servers and customers
Trust me buddy you are in no position to make any assumptions about my personal income nor tipping habits. You know absolutely nothing about me.

I present an opposite opinion of what you are posting and you send snarky remarks my way.

And the food prices in Europe aren't all that high either. The servers make a higher hourly wage that's true but it's not like 40 euros an hour if that's what you're thinking.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:55 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,414,166 times
Quote:
@ nickeldude...

Is it the fact that black people are lousy tippers or that they don't leave any tip at all?

Because quite frankly, being left something is better than nothing at all, don't you think?

Just because you believe that tip to be less than adequate for what you THINK you deserved means nothing.
They don't stiff servers, they just leave a bad tip. And saying something is better than nothing is yet again, another ignorant statement. Servers also have to tip out the kitchen/bussers/ etc. So to leave less than 15% actually means youre making that server LOSE money on your table. Restaurants are set up that an average tip is 15% and the servers have to tip out accordingly. This is really easy to understand if you just think about it for one second, instead of just screaming lalalalalalala and thinking you know more about the restaurant business than I do.

Quote:
O.K. so some bad, some good. Same with white people, same with Asians, same with the green people. So the point of this entire thread is what?
More black people are bad tippers than good tippers. Asians are the same but to a much less degree. Red neck white people are mostly always bad tippers.

Quote:
And I sure as heck do not want to ever work in a restaurant with the entitlement mentality that many servers display over tips. A restaurant is not a charity and us diners are not required to leave you any donations towards your tax bills. Basically, you want tips, EARN it! Anyone who leaves a tip for average or subpar service is being a fool. I have gone to many restaurants and have received excellent service which I rewarded my servers accordingly.

Regarding my dining experience in Florida, if there were extenuating circumstances as to why me and my friend were waiting, the waiter/waitress should have apologized for the delay or at least acknowledged it. We called out several times to other waiters who walked right past us without any acknowledgement. Regarding the 20 minute wait, I was wrong. It was 20 minutes after we started timing it so it was actually longer than 20 minutes.
Ok I'm going to stop replying to anything to do with your experience in Florida, because it doesn't prove anything and has is completely irrelevant to the topic.

Anyways, no matter what YOUR personal beliefs are, it is customary to tip 15% for average service. I don't know who raised you, but they obviously didn't teach you anything about tipping because what you think is right goes against the proper etiquette of eating out in America. Again, you can not like it, and you can continue to be a bad tipper all you want. But you are in fact a cheap person for doing so, and dont deserve good service from anyone. Go ahead and tell your next server that you don't think they deserve a tip on every table, and that you don't feel you should be obligated to leave them anything. See how many servers will even take your table at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies