Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 12:46 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times

Advertisements

way to go, bammers. pay back those union lackeys

Quote:
Well, we can’t say no one saw this one coming, but Obama has turned back rules that had been put in place to force unions to be more transparent in their financial reporting. These rules were meant to stop union fraud, theft, and embezzlement but in an effort to pay back his supporters, Obama has turned these rules back so that unions can find it easier to hide illicit financial transactions.
Obama Reverses Rule, Gives Unions Cover for Corruption
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 12:52 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
way to go, bammers. pay back those union lackeys

Of course a site that labels itself "a conservative free press' wouldn't be biased, eh?

Old 04-27-2009, 01:07 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Of course a site that labels itself "a conservative free press' wouldn't be biased, eh?
did you notice the link in the article to the washington times?
or does that not meet your standards as well?

Old 04-27-2009, 01:22 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
I look forward to the day when a kick-ass and take names independent arrives on the scene with absolutely no ties to unions or big business. It seems far-fetched at the moment because all politicians are in the backpocket of one or the other, but recall it wasn't so long ago we didn't think we'd see a black president for a long time either. If anything good comes from Obama's presidency, it will be that someone, somewhere is emboldened to challenge the status-quo, and American's will rally in defiance behind that person. Obama represented change from George W. Bush, but Obama doesn't represent change from the same-shat, different-day politics of old. "You scratch my back and i'll scratch yours" needs to be shown the door.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
americans will pay a huge price for making unions the whipping boy for the last 40 years.
in france unions are the only thing between you and your job when you finish school. a zillion hungry mideastern and north african workers dying to get your job.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
americans will pay a huge price for making unions the whipping boy for the last 40 years.
in france unions are the only thing between you and your job when you finish school. a zillion hungry mideastern and north african workers dying to get your job.
Only about 1 in 10 American's say they belong to a labor union. I'm not so sure we'll revert to a France-like situation should unions disappear, unless of course, liberals get their way on illegal immigration. Then you might want to fret for your job. Personally, my career is not in jeopardy because of a few illegal immigrants, so it would make sense that i'm not clamoring for all things union like those that have alot more to lose to the France-like immigrants you speak of.

Last edited by AeroGuyDC; 04-27-2009 at 01:49 PM..

Old 04-27-2009, 01:36 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post

My Dad was a Journeyman Machinist working in aerospace during the 50's and 60's. When there was a deadline to be met the Unions met it. Its shameful when people discredit a person's patriotism or work ethic because they belong to a Union. In most cases they don't have a choice, anyway.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
My Dad was a Journeyman Machinist working in aerospace during the 50's and 60's. When there was a deadline to be met the Unions met it. Its shameful when people discredit a person's patriotism or work ethic because they belong to a Union. In most cases they don't have a choice, anyway.
The unions of the 50's and 60's were arguably much more noble than the padded-wallets of today's unions. Most egregiously, union job banks. If that doesn't qualify as liberal entitlement gone amok, I don't know what does.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:35 PM

358 posts, read 472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The unions of the 50's and 60's were arguably much more noble than the padded-wallets of today's unions. Most egregiously, union job banks. If that doesn't qualify as liberal entitlement gone amok, I don't know what does.
That is complete BS. In the good old days union corruption was rapant, not now. Currently the lowest bonding rates for individuals that handle other peoples money are Union Officers. That means that they have the lowest financial corruption rate because the bonding companies pay out less per bonded individual, which means they are the most honest.

BTW are any of the unions getting bailout money? Name a union President that makes 10 million a year. Have banks, insurance companies and stock brokerage companies been guilty of corruption latey. How much is it costing the country. Seems to me your union hate is displaced.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Horse View Post
That is complete BS. In the good old days union corruption was rapant, not now. Currently the lowest bonding rates for individuals that handle other peoples money are Union Officers. That means that they have the lowest financial corruption rate because the bonding companies pay out less per bonded individual, which means they are the most honest.

BTW are any of the unions getting bailout money? Name a union President that makes 10 million a year. Have banks, insurance companies and stock brokerage companies been guilty of corruption latey. How much is it costing the country. Seems to me your union hate is displaced.
Sure, there has and always will be corruption. When the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) were created and passed (government ensuring employee protections in the workplace), unions gradually became more and more irrelevant to most American's.

This is nothing but a veiled attempt by Obama to make the unions seem relevant again while paying them back for their votes, even as they lobby hard to make it easier for workers to unionize (aka Card Check). Why else would they go to such great lengths to prove their relevancy if they were confident that their beloved institution wasn't headed straight for the crapper?

Last edited by AeroGuyDC; 04-27-2009 at 03:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies