Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 03:37 PM

5,307 posts, read 4,395,554 times

Advertisements

Out of curiosity, would this be the same stimulus bill that no one read before it was passed?
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 03:59 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,545,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
The Republicans have never been known for their compassion.
Do you have SOURCES??? Many Republicans give 10 percent of their pre-tax income to their churches, which are extremely compassionate. Furthermore, they donate lots and lots of money to other charitable organizations. AGAIN, WHERE O WHERE do you think money comes from: TREES??? Oh, that's right!!! It DOES come from TREES because our country is broke AND as FED CHAIR Bernanke recently said, we are now PRINTING the money!

PLEASE Oh PLEASE READ your U.S. Constitution and understand how this country is supposed to work!

Old 04-27-2009, 04:08 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,717,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What does "pandemic preparedness" have to do with economic stimulus? If it was supposed to be an omnibus budget package, it should have been discussed and debated as an omnibus budget package. If it was supposed to be an emergency economic stimulus package, then it should have been stripped of items that had a tenuous (if that) link to stimulating the economy.
I agree and they can always fund it in an emergency. The TARP fund was to stimulate the economy not fund every program out there. Besides, the pandemic will not happen. We have improved our sanitary habits, like hand washing, which was not all that popular in 1918. We close schools when needed etc.

On a side note: Why are you not as concerned or outraged that the Obama administration will not close the border down? This to me would be one way to contain this if it were a real crisis.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:20 PM

45,114 posts, read 60,226,663 times
Except flu vaccines are developed for the year after monitoring and the CDC and manufacturers make a "best guess" what the major strain for the year will be. It's about a 6 month lead time. Sometimes they guess wrong, as in 1976 with the swine flu then. Didn't this one come out of nowhere kind of? Read what was written about the "flu" part of the stimulus, at leat what was quoted in this thread-nothing for vaccines but mostly "preparedness" which in government speak means planning and education programs.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:33 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,428,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
Out of curiosity, would this be the same stimulus bill that no one read before it was passed?
No. You see, if I were a US Senator and had a staff of say 50 folks or so in my office, I don't think I'd be using any of my own time to read 1,100-page bills. Instead, I'd have 8 or 10 of my top subject matter experts sitting on every word of such an important bill as it went through its various iterations and modifications, keeping me current on the wording and the implications and what people elsewhere might be saying or feeling about it all. In the end, I'd know all about this bill, even though I'd never read it myself. Pretty clever, huh?

By the way, for those who have never read so much as the first page of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (P.L. 111-5), the full title of the Act is...

An Act making supplemental appropriations for job preservation and creation, infrastructure investment, energy efficiency and science, assistance to the unemployed, and State and local fiscal stabilization, for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2009, and for other purposes.

...and its stated purposes are...

(1) To preserve and create jobs and promote economic recovery.
(2) To assist those most impacted by the recession.
(3) To provide investments needed to increase economic efficiency by spurring technological advances in science and health.
(4) To invest in transportation, environmental protection, and other infrastructure that will provide long-term economic benefits.
(5) To stabilize State and local government budgets, in order to minimize and avoid reductions in essential services and counterproductive state and local tax increases.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:45 PM

5,307 posts, read 4,395,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
No. You see, if I were a US Senator and had a staff of say 50 folks or so in my office, I don't think I'd be using any of my own time to read 1,100-page bills. Instead, I'd have 8 or 10 of my top subject matter experts sitting on every word of such an important bill as it went through its various iterations and modifications, keeping me current on the wording and the implications and what people elsewhere might be saying or feeling about it all. In the end, I'd know all about this bill, even though I'd never read it myself. Pretty clever, huh?

By the way, for those who have never read so much as the first page of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (P.L. 111-5), the full title of the Act is...

An Act making supplemental appropriations for job preservation and creation, infrastructure investment, energy efficiency and science, assistance to the unemployed, and State and local fiscal stabilization, for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2009, and for other purposes.

...and its stated purposes are...

(1) To preserve and create jobs and promote economic recovery.
(2) To assist those most impacted by the recession.
(3) To provide investments needed to increase economic efficiency by spurring technological advances in science and health.
(4) To invest in transportation, environmental protection, and other infrastructure that will provide long-term economic benefits.
(5) To stabilize State and local government budgets, in order to minimize and avoid reductions in essential services and counterproductive state and local tax increases.

So the answer is actually, yes it is the same bill that the members of congress did not read, correct?

Pretty clever? I don't think so. No matter how well I have screened my aids they are still humans with their own thoughts and feelings on issues. One could give a summary that would differ from another. Sorry, if I had the nation's welfare in my hands I would think that I would read, for myself, what would effect them.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:23 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,264,037 times
Default GOP Stripped Flu Pandemic Funds from Stimulus Package

GOP Stripped Flu Pandemic Preparedness From Stimulus [UPDATED]

Old 04-27-2009, 07:25 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,953,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post

YouTube - Ron Paul about the Swine Flu People die from the Vaccines not from The Flu

Notice the only two NOs were from physicians.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:33 PM

26,171 posts, read 48,888,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Guess who will be FIRST in line to get Tamiflu, masks, vaccines, and other help? Yep, all those "cut my taxes" and GOP types.

NO Tamiflu for Tea Party whiners!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:36 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,264,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
So the people in Mexico who have died, actually died from a vaccine and not from the flu itself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies