Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2009, 12:46 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,387,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
I didn't ask for proof that he used a teleprompter. I asked for proof that he depended upon it more than any other president.
He's definitely using it more than any president before Carter. I think Bush II read from notes, as did Clinton. Ronny loved TOTUS (primitive though TOTUS was) and I really can't reember about Bush I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 12:53 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,214,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
He's definitely using it more than any president before Carter. I think Bush II read from notes, as did Clinton. Ronny loved TOTUS (primitive though TOTUS was) and I really can't reember about Bush I.
Thanks! Some evidence. See what that looks like, OP?

Old 04-28-2009, 01:25 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
I was curious, so I googled to see which President first used the teleprompter. It turns out it was Eisenhower! I had no idea!

Quote:
Presidents have long had a love-hate relationship with teleprompters. Harry S. Truman refused to use them, concluding it would make him look insincere. Dwight D. Eisenhower became the first president to use them but he was not a fan either, grousing about having to “use that damn teleprompter.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/06/us...cs/06memo.html

Of course, reliance has been increasing ever since, I think.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:41 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
I didn't ask for proof that he used a teleprompter. I asked for proof that he depended upon it more than any other president.
YOU would have to go back and look at recent speeches, events, formal and informal, of previous presidents to determine for yourself.

It has been noted, reported that obama is the teleprompter president - he uses it always.

Just go find one speech were bush is reading from notes - and there you have it.

Quote:
Thanks! Some evidence. See what that looks like, OP?
WOW! Somebody's recollection is evidence to you?

OK. My recollection is obama uses it at every event, where other presidents didn't need it.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:16 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
I wonder how many of these right-wingers got all worked up over Bush's wearing a cueing device during the 2004 debates. LOL!

Meanwhile, complaining about using a teleprompter is about as sane as complaining about using a microphone. It's just part of the current technology if you're going to be doing public speaking. Even small-time speakers use teleprompters today, even if it's just the less-than-$50 model that you download onto your laptop.

For all the time wasted on such a trivial topic, right-wingers could have sat down and thought up something actually significant to discuss. At least in theory...

Old 04-28-2009, 03:42 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,214,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
WOW! Somebody's recollection is evidence to you?

OK. My recollection is obama uses it at every event, where other presidents didn't need it.
Sorry, but a random person's recollection is one thing. The ravings of a far-right lunatic wingnut is another. I'll accept the former, because she or he provided a reasonable evaluation of the situation (i.e., one that fits with my experience of reality). You, however, have to meet a higher standard, because you have a demonstrated track record of being completely bonkers.

Data please.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:09 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Come on, I know you think it is funny too.
I suspect for many including me this was a consider the source reaction. Had it been posted by others it would have gotten a bipartisan chuckle. Sorta hard for Rush to make a funny that many would ever consider to be one.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:47 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Obama's teleprompter once again displays a mind of it's own. Maybe if obama gave TOTUS more credit for his appearance of lucidity, he wouldn't have this trouble.

POLITICO 44 | A Living Diary of the Obama Presidency
Revealing Obama for the stupid idiot that he is. This was unbelievable. This guy is dumber than dirt. Even Sarah Palin was able to continue without a teleprompter, and no one knew of the problem. She didn't need it. Bush, also, did not need a telepromter. Obama is lost without it. He can't speak without it.

One could make him say anything.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:12 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
Sorry, but a random person's recollection is one thing. The ravings of a far-right lunatic wingnut is another. I'll accept the former, because she or he provided a reasonable evaluation of the situation (i.e., one that fits with my experience of reality). You, however, have to meet a higher standard, because you have a demonstrated track record of being completely bonkers.

Data please.
You are so immersed in the kool-aid, it is almost scary. You won't even believe what you're lying eyes tell you - obama uses TOTUS for every event, every speech. Now that is some kind of left-wing fanatism and obamamania - all you need to do is watch the coverage to see for yourself.

You're "reality" is colored by the kool-aid you're drinking. Only a complete moron could deny that obama is THE teleprompter president. No other in recent history has been addicted as he is.

In the end, it really is just hilarious to watch this bumbling fool when he gets "unhooked" from his addiction.

Just hilarious.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:07 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times
Here is Barack Obama's first press conference held in February 2009:

YouTube - Obama's First Press Conference

Obama first reads his pre-written speech using a teleprompter, just like all recent presidents have done before him. This is standard practice.

Then Obama, holds a Q&A with the press. Does he use a teleprompter during the Q&A? You decide. Which way are Obama's eyes focused? Is he looking directly at the press? Are his answers intelligent, knowledgeable, and to the point?

If anyone is wondering where Sarene and others are getting this Obama teleprompter BS ... just watch this video on YouTube:

YouTube - Obama Teleprompter Obsession?

And Republicans wonder why we liberals consider Faux News a total joke?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies