Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How have gay-related controversies (Perez Hilton, same-sex marriage) changed your opinions about gay
They've given me a less favorable opinion of gays overall. 29 34.94%
They've given me a more favorable opinion of gays overall. 8 9.64%
The controversies haven't changed my opinions about gays, for better or for worse. 46 55.42%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 08:53 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times

Advertisements

Changing names has nothing to do with marriage, it was a sign of ownership. And you are kidding yourself if you think marriage is primarily about starting a family or raising children. Tell me this then, why are senior citizens allowed to get married? Why do people who do not want to have children get married? Why do sterile people get married. Creating a family does not have to involve marriage nor does raising children. You are allowed as a straight person to marry the one you love. Saying that a gay man or a lesbian has the same equal right to marry a straight person or even a gay person of the opposite sex, is not the same equal right. How would you want to be the heterosexual partner in such a bogus marriage. My older brother, who is gay now, played that game with two wives and believe me they were not happy being second fiddle or second best. GAY marriage does not threaten straight marriage, Straight people do that all by themselves. Just look at the divorce rate over 50%, or that 70% of married men cheat on their wives and 70% of divorces are initiated by the wives. It seems to to me that the biggest threat to marriage is bigotted, chauvinistic straight men are the threat to marriage, not gay people. I got married to my partner of 30 years last summer and I will call it marriage wether you like it or not. The term is not owned by the church, not was it started by the church. All the hets need to take care of their own marriages and stop worrying about gay marriage. I am gay, I am married and I am proud, nothing you say or anyone else says will change that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 10:19 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
what happened to freedom of speech/thought and diversity of belief?

To the gays, there is no such thing.
You clearly don't know what you're talking about. It's weird that you have such vitriol for gay people. It speaks volumes about your character and mental state.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
And it is still (whether you like it or not) God's plan, not mans.
God didn't write the laws. Man did. And the laws say nothing about God.

If you're against same-sex marriage, that's okay, but try to use a cogent argument. It's hard to take you seriously when you invoke the name of God in nearly all of your posts.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:53 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
No, because I don't feel that Perez Hilton represents a majority of the gay community. The same way I don't allow the methods and agenda of Al Sharpton to influence my relationships with blacks. He makes a mockery of himself and conducts himself as such as stereotype that I'm surprised there hasn't been more backlash from other gays over this idiot. If anything his attention getting antics are hurting the gay community, not helping.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:56 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
attacks on churches and members have changed my attitude about militant gays, fortunately it has not hurt my attitude towards my personal friends in san francisco.
i hold those who did these things personally accountable no matter what false banner they used.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:30 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
It's abnormal. How about that. God isn't even in that answer.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It's abnormal. How about that. God isn't even in that answer.
Gibberish, as usual.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:49 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
I have no opinion of "gays overall." Such an opinion would seem bigoted at its core.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:52 PM

238 posts, read 304,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I have no opinion of "gays overall." Such an opinion would seem bigoted at its core.
Gays are gross! I'm a bigot and proud.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
It is bigoted. I almost mentioned it last night, but then I wanted to see how long the conversation would go on before someone mentioned it, if it was even mentioned at all.

I think it would be considered quite odd if anyone asked if the actions of a few whites, or a few blacks, or a few Latinos, changed someone's opinions about those groups overall, but when it comes to gays, a lot of people don't seem to have a problem looking at them as one monolithic group.

With that said, the media images do matter to a certain extent, and so I think it's prudent to at least be aware of their impact on the impressions that people have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies